43 replies to this topic

#21 PenrithSlotCars

Video Game Driver

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

All the information Plucka provided about our store is correct. At this point in time, the Kingleman Track has been set up with our timing system and it's the first track in the shop ready to run. The Tri-Oval track is coming together over the next few days and we have commenced work on the Carrera 6 Lane Track. Our display cabinets have arrived and we're currently in the process of installing our slatwall for all our parts. The store is coming together quickly now and we're still on track to open by the end of January.

That's all for now. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook....PenrithSlotCars for more updates.

See you soon,
Jamie

#22 xtremetrax

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

The sale of Barclays RC shop is seperate from the two slot shops about to open in Penrith.

If the new owner of Barclays wants to they are being enticed by the advertisemet for the sale to "You could also set up a slot car track/race centre upstairs and host birthday parties with a little money spent setting it up or laser skirmish (you would have to check with council etc for rules/conditions). Or you could sub lease upstairs to someone else for other business purposes or slot cars or laser skirmish."

This would make three slot shops all within spitting distance of each other which in my belief would soon have that occuring as three is too many and customers do need choice but my thoughts are that this would not be financialy viable for some poor person trying to make a dollar and satisfy the growing customer base in the west Sydney.

I have been told by reliable sources who race at Hornsby that Wayne Bramble has left Hornsby to Manage the other slot shop about to open at Penrith not Ken and Belinda's one. Has anyone else been privi to this information?

Competition for not only sales but customer/racers will be intense as the new shops try to get the rent paid.

Best of luck to all concerned in promoting the hobby and making the leap to put the shops out there, so all is needed now is the slot car masses out west to frequent them every week then everyone will be smiling.

#23 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Welcome aboard Jamie and all the best with the venture.
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#24 jazzbell

Team NSR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I wish you all the best on your new shop Jamie. Nothing beats the atmosphere of a great commercial centre. Myself i love to see the different people come through week after week

Don't want to take the shine off the new Penrith shop but why dont we keep to the topic of the new shop.

What you guy's are all saying is still not in concrete over another shop that will be 2 streets away. Everyone is getting second hand information,and yes it's all different and we all here different,i could even add something not even mentioned.

Yes Wayne know longer works at Hornsby,finished in December 2012. Does he work at a slot shop in Penrith right now,No.

regards shane a

team thunderbird
21 x Australian National champion

#25 PenrithSlotCars

Video Game Driver

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sorry if there's any misunderstanding here guys. The Penrith Slot Car and Hobby Centre is Ken and Belinda's shop. I simply work for them haha

#26 stoo23

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes,..I too certainly Hope the New Shop at Penrith goes well.

As there hasn't been Any Real Commercial style enterprise in Penrith, since Gary J's King Track, way back in the late 80's - early 90's, I am Sure there Will be Plenty of people 'coming out of the Woodwork' to have a run. Perhaps interestingly Even then there ended up being TWO Slot Car Tracks in Penrith back then as well,...although NOT as close as these Two could have been.

Will certainly be Good for the Area !!,..Good Luck guys !!

As to Some of the Other information 'posted' here,..I'd Have to say I am completely Amazed at both the diversity and depth of the 'Rumours' !!!???

A whole 'Centre' from Canada ???,...sigh,...

The person who was possibly going to Open the 2nd centre, has been doing a bit of racing at HSC and Many 'options/possibilities' have been bandied around.

There Was talk of perhaps Gary Gerding coming out to build a 'King', but I doubt That Will happen, as the person seems Keen on the Idea of Gary J's tracks and discussions Had taken place regarding this,..Until, it became clear just Where the Two Shops would be,..(surprisingly and arguably inappropriately Close as it turns out).

Wayne Bramble HAS in fact left Hornsby, (completely amicably I might add) and 'perhaps' IF this second Centre Does go ahead,..Might Yet become involved,..but has and IS now currently managing a New RC and Slot facility in Long Jetty on the Central Coast, called "Highway Hobbies", see here; http://www.highwayhobbies.com.au/

It caters for a regular crowd of Keen RC Carpet Racers and is venturing into Slot Cars as well.
Having spoken with Wayne very recently, he seems quite happy with how things are going and if Any of you intend to race at the ADC at HSC I am sure Wayne will be able to fill you in on any further details/developments regarding Slotting in General on the Central Coast.

As far as I am aware, the 'proposed' Centre spoken of in these posts may or in fact May NOT actually go ahead, so I would Not 'Hold your Breath',..only Time will tell.

Best Wishes and Good Luck go out to Ken and Belinda (and Jamie), Myself and Many others I am Sure, Hope it proves to be a successful commercial venture.

The Kingleman (from Mobile raceways), is a well known track and design built by Gary J some years ago and from what I am aware of, the Tri-Oval, is both a well built and relatively large track, that should also be fun for the new local racers,..so Good Luck and Fun to All.

I hope that helps clear up some of the Mis information regarding the Penrith Possibilities !!,..:)

#27 Mohawkk

prettiest rally car 2011-12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

well thats ruined the rumors,half truths, speculations & lies...
Booooo :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Anyway thats not what I heard
Love,
Kai Posted Image

#28 Rhythm Willie

6x Open, 4x Group 27 Aust Wing Titles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Stu for the facts.

Yes various rumours had abounded. One is - I heard Gary Gerding was going to build a King track (labour only) for $7K.

I hope this will benefit the overall slotcar scene in Sydney.

I just wish we had a "modern" 1/24th track to run on in Adelaide (but I hope the "Redline King" gets there eventually).

Boy I have found that the "ferador" tracks rip and wear out the tires pretty quickly ($$$) on 1/24th cars and still nowhere near enough grip. (going back to the 60's IMO when the rest of the world has moved on years ago). Just look at the scale, club and model car racing in UK, Europe, NZ, Japan,US etc.

Looks like I will have to start traveling interstate to run some classes (building a "Retro" car and a Scaleauto ATM and have a fast JK Flexi) and am looking forward to racing Grp 27L and OMO as well this year. Would love to race in Sydney again.

Stewart - Thanks for all your input, race reports, photos etc on the racing you do.

Edited by Rhythm Willie, 13 January 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#29 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Poststoo23, on 13 January 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

The person who was possibly going to Open the 2nd centre, has been doing a bit of racing at HSC
= Glenn? = Horses mouth = Whole slot car centre from Canada shipped out in 2? containers...
:huh:
Steve K.

#30 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Rhythm Willie raises a good point.
Ferador...
What surfaces will Penrith Slot Car and Hobby Centre have on their tracks?
Steve K.

#31 PenrithSlotCars

Video Game Driver

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postslotbaker, on 14 January 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Rhythm Willie raises a good point.
Ferador...
What surfaces will Penrith Slot Car and Hobby Centre have on their tracks?

We will have the Kingleman Track and Tri-Oval which will have smooth wooden surfaces. Our other tracks will be plastic, mainly Carrera

#32 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

" smooth wooden surfaces" I read that as gloss/semi gloss, and not ferodor.
Sounds great.
:)
Steve K.

#33 PenrithSlotCars

Video Game Driver

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

View Postslotbaker, on 14 January 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

" smooth wooden surfaces" I read that as gloss/semi gloss, and not ferodor.
Sounds great.

Correct! :D

#34 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Spotted on ASCRA Forum
"Hi guys
Penrith Slotcar and Hobby Centre will be having its grand opening to the public on March 9th Saturday 2013 at 10:00am located at 25-26 Altair Pl Jamisontown Penrith.
As you know they have two tracks from Melbourne the Kingleman and the Tri-Oval
They also have a 6 lane landscaped track that can take your 1/24 & 1/32 scale Carrera etc etc type cars , Also a 1/24 , 16.4 volt full quarter mile drag strip.
The tracks from Melbourne have been refurbished and are back to near new condition , the drag strip has been refurbished to near new condition and is at possibly it's best ever.
There will be food , displays and all your extra goodies available on the day so come one come all its going to be a great day.

Thanks Robert

Edited by slotbaker, 10 February 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Steve K.

#35 Mr Ford

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Called in to see Ken and Belinda during the week and the centre is coming along very nicely indeed . Very professional and will be a shot in the arm for slot car racing in Sydney .
The older I get the faster I was .

#36 neil

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I was thinking this has been a 2month(at least) exercise in getting the Penrith Slot track up & running,,,, anyone Know the actual details of this?........ such a big investment to cater for our hobby.... I hope to visit the track myself sometime & wish the owners sucsess with this venture

#37 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Spotted on ASCRA Forum
Penrith Slotcar and Hobby Centre will be having its grand opening to the public on March 9th Saturday 2013 at 10:00am located at 25-26 Altair Pl Jamisontown Penrith.
Neil, What details are you after?
Steve K.

#38 neil

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postslotbaker, on 17 February 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Spotted on ASCRA Forum
Neil, What details are you after?

with out intruding in Ken & Belinders personal buisness,,, I think it would be a good read in how all this came together... from the thought/vision,,,, through to the planning (let downs if any),,,, rough $ figures,,,, the build of the tracks /mishaps,, & the reasons to the choice of track,,, seeing the choices....
I myself find this intersting especially if its from the owners own thoughts & experiance..... maybe a short auto/biography could be written & sold on the counter,, covering the above mentioned through to the grand oppening,,,,,, after all,,, its not just another McDonalds restuarant being built & we all know how places such as these can leave a an impression in our memories of life.

#39 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Group of us dropped out at the official opening yesterday, huge turnout, great setup and plenty of variety in tracks plus a lot of familiar faces

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The drag strip was a big hit

Posted Image

Already earmarked the Carrera track as "neutral ground" for the next inter club challenge

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sausage sizzle then around to a mates place for beer and pizza and a bit of racing ..... top day
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2012

#40 slotbaker

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Good report Gazza, thanks.

Sure does look good.