Penrith Slotcar And Hobby Centre

Plucka

Yes,..I too certainly Hope the New Shop at Penrith goes well.

As there hasn't been Any Real Commercial style enterprise in Penrith, since Gary J's King Track, way back in the late 80's - early 90's, I am Sure there Will be Plenty of people 'coming out of the Woodwork' to have a run. Perhaps interestingly Even then there ended up being TWO Slot Car Tracks in Penrith back then as well,...although NOT as close as these Two could have been.

Will certainly be Good for the Area !!,..Good Luck guys !!

As to Some of the Other information 'posted' here,..I'd Have to say I am completely Amazed at both the diversity and depth of the 'Rumours' !!!???

A whole 'Centre' from Canada ???,...sigh,...

The person who was possibly going to Open the 2nd centre, has been doing a bit of racing at HSC and Many 'options/possibilities' have been bandied around.

There Was talk of perhaps Gary Gerding coming out to build a 'King', but I doubt That Will happen, as the person seems Keen on the Idea of Gary J's tracks and discussions Had taken place regarding this,..Until, it became clear just Where the Two Shops would be,..(surprisingly and arguably inappropriately Close as it turns out).

Wayne Bramble HAS in fact left Hornsby, (completely amicably I might add) and 'perhaps' IF this second Centre Does go ahead,..Might Yet become involved,..but has and IS now currently managing a New RC and Slot facility in Long Jetty on the Central Coast, called "Highway Hobbies", see here; http://www.highwayhobbies.com.au/

It caters for a regular crowd of Keen RC Carpet Racers and is venturing into Slot Cars as well.

Having spoken with Wayne very recently, he seems quite happy with how things are going and if Any of you intend to race at the ADC at HSC I am sure Wayne will be able to fill you in on any further details/developments regarding Slotting in General on the Central Coast.

As far as I am aware, the 'proposed' Centre spoken of in these posts may or in fact May NOT actually go ahead, so I would Not 'Hold your Breath',..only Time will tell.

Best Wishes and Good Luck go out to Ken and Belinda (and Jamie), Myself and Many others I am Sure, Hope it proves to be a successful commercial venture.

The Kingleman (from Mobile raceways), is a well known track and design built by Gary J some years ago and from what I am aware of, the Tri-Oval, is both a well built and relatively large track, that should also be fun for the new local racers,..so Good Luck and Fun to All.

I hope that helps clear up some of the Mis information regarding the Penrith Possibilities !!,..:)

Thanks Stu for the facts.

Yes various rumours had abounded. One is - I heard Gary Gerding was going to build a King track (labour only) for $7K.

I hope this will benefit the overall slotcar scene in Sydney.

I just wish we had a "modern" 1/24th track to run on in Adelaide (but I hope the "Redline King" gets there eventually).

Boy I have found that the "ferador" tracks rip and wear out the tires pretty quickly ($$$) on 1/24th cars and still nowhere near enough grip. (going back to the 60's IMO when the rest of the world has moved on years ago). Just look at the scale, club and model car racing in UK, Europe, NZ, Japan,US etc.

Looks like I will have to start traveling interstate to run some classes (building a "Retro" car and a Scaleauto ATM and have a fast JK Flexi) and am looking forward to racing Grp 27L and OMO as well this year. Would love to race in Sydney again.

Stewart - Thanks for all your input, race reports, photos etc on the racing you do.

Edited by Rhythm Willie

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted on ASCRA Forum

"Hi guys

Penrith Slotcar and Hobby Centre will be having its grand opening to the public on March 9th Saturday 2013 at 10:00am located at 25-26 Altair Pl Jamisontown Penrith.

As you know they have two tracks from Melbourne the Kingleman and the Tri-Oval

They also have a 6 lane landscaped track that can take your 1/24 & 1/32 scale Carrera etc etc type cars , Also a 1/24 , 16.4 volt full quarter mile drag strip.

The tracks from Melbourne have been refurbished and are back to near new condition , the drag strip has been refurbished to near new condition and is at possibly it's best ever.

There will be food , displays and all your extra goodies available on the day so come one come all its going to be a great day.

Robert K

Coal Train Racing"

Thanks Robert

:)

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

I was thinking this has been a 2month(at least) exercise in getting the Penrith Slot track up & running,,,, anyone Know the actual details of this?........ such a big investment to cater for our hobby.... I hope to visit the track myself sometime & wish the owners sucsess with this venture

Spotted on ASCRA Forum

Penrith Slotcar and Hobby Centre will be having its grand opening to the public on March 9th Saturday 2013 at 10:00am located at 25-26 Altair Pl Jamisontown Penrith.

Neil, What details are you after?

:huh:

with out intruding in Ken & Belinders personal buisness,,, I think it would be a good read in how all this came together... from the thought/vision,,,, through to the planning (let downs if any),,,, rough $ figures,,,, the build of the tracks /mishaps,, & the reasons to the choice of track,,, seeing the choices....

I myself find this intersting especially if its from the owners own thoughts & experiance..... maybe a short auto/biography could be written & sold on the counter,, covering the above mentioned through to the grand oppening,,,,,, after all,,, its not just another McDonalds restuarant being built & we all know how places such as these can leave a an impression in our memories of life.

• 3 weeks later...

Group of us dropped out at the official opening yesterday, huge turnout, great setup and plenty of variety in tracks plus a lot of familiar faces

DSC08200_zps12215011.jpg

DSC08194_zps0f9740f2.jpg

DSC08191_zps8aa2a4a8.jpg

DSC08190_zps7e7e6735.jpg

DSC08199_zps5b696c33.jpg

The drag strip was a big hit

DSC08193_zps501f3d79.jpg

Already earmarked the Carrera track as "neutral ground" for the next inter club challenge

DSC08197_zps2862bccf.jpg

DSC08204_zps567fde7b.jpg

Sausage sizzle then around to a mates place for beer and pizza and a bit of racing ..... top day

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Fifty shades of grey Gaz.

Was a good turn out . Hope all works out as a slot shop out here in the west was badly needed. Not that I wont be travelling to my favourite shop at over a Artarmon ;):D

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.