Fixing Plastic Track Down

BJC-787

Unless you're planning on tilting the track up against a wall, I wouldn't fix it down either. Or at least not all over.

My scenic track is not fixed down. Although the original intent was that it would fold against the wall reality soon dawned that such was never going to happen. The track is not fixed to the table. The borders that abutt the track are fixed to the table with double sided tape. The track is held by the borders. In 45C weather the road bed has only lifted in two places, at the beginning and end of upper level straight. I will eventually disguise these two areas with some longe grass in front so that the expansion buckle is not noticeable but the track can still expand as required.

I've had no running issues even when the track does buckle. It only increases the gradient of the two areas slightly.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi, when we all used Scalextric track with the Club, the general concensus was to set it out in summer as it wont expand anymore and then use little 12mm x 1.00mm nails to make it permanent. These would be nailed in between the slots in the plastic then gently centrepunched so the nail head would be just below the surface and wouldn't foul the guide blade.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

Late Model

Hi guys & ladies always high temps & humid here in Ipswich QLD.Fixed track down with scalextric clips 4 years ago or so,no warping or lifting what so ever at all.Had track on patio for 2years with a bed sheet for cover,now in garage.Still flat as a tack as clips aren't tight & allow for expansion & contraction when it gets down to minus on winter nights.Jim at Armchair said they would work like this & he was spot on as usual.

Stumbled onto this and thought here would be a good place to put it...

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/scalextric/fixing-track-to-board.html

Quote: We found that the digital track is slightly thicker than a standard piece of track, so it was necessary to use packing under the clip (see below) on these sections. It was also found that it was easier to cut the border around the clip, this is then covered by the rumble strip.

track-fixing-clips.JPG