Ambrose Road Circuit

nicko321

As promised in my introduction, just a few pics of my track.

I will try to answer questions you may ask here also.

• 9mm MDF footprint 4.8m x 2.
  • Lane lengths about 20.5m
  • Lane spacing 100mm, 110mm outside and 60mm at closest point inside
  • Normal tinned copper braid( not magna braid). This saved me $200 on build. layed down with 3M d/s tape. How easy is that?
  • Dulux Suede effects as surface paint, also saved a bucket load over Ferrodore and very happy with grip
  • 8-15v variable power supply
  • Timing is R/C through webcam on notebook computer. Was very surprised how easy this was as well and seems very accurate.
  • I also have reversing switches on each lane

IMG_0164_zpsa08f754e.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsc0669d50.jpg

IMG_01151_zps1f36d9f4.jpg

Also a small video of the first real shakedown with a couple guys from Friday night racing, before timing was done. You can race side by side for lap after lap. Very happy with outcome. Click on pic to view.

th_IMG_0144_zps8ab1d6b2.jpg

Triggy, would always have a red can in the fridge, if you want to come and give your opinion and any advice on creating scenery as you have done.

Edited by nicko321

Well, until I saw the video I was going to ask how the cars handle the two sharp corners at the lower left near the drivers' stations, but they seem to handle it ok. ''Well done.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Triggy, would always have a red can in the fridge, if you want to come and give your opinion and any advice on creating scenery as you have done.

You speaka my language. No problems re scenery advice.

Your layout looks good.

Send me a PM with your details and will see what we can sort out.

Normal people worry me

Well, until I saw the video I was going to ask how the cars handle the two sharp corners at the lower left near the drivers' stations, but they seem to handle it ok. ''Well done.

Embs, that corner is a thorn in my side, I hate the way it turned out, I have even tried to fix it twice, but seemed to get the same result each time, so it became a case of finish it to find out how bad it really is. Turns out to be very slow but not to bad and overall laptime isn't affected by it to much. I do know however that long guides will not turn.

looks good, how does that monitor go being infront of the corners?

The monitor is fine there, the cars don't really go out of site as it is, although the plan is to lift it to eye level. I spent alot designing the track the way it is so there are no blind spots, so I don't want to create one now.

Thanks Triggy, will send you PM, love your work.

I gathe ryou need that cut off on the corner for access? How would it go with that short straight dropped and turned into a sweep?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Ember, I designed it deliberately that way to be a different set of turns.

Believe it or not, this track started off based on Sachsenring with the fast open part flipped over to form a figure 8. Those corners are based on top right on the circuit.

600px-Sachsenring_zps74826242.jpg

It then got tweaked for space, driver visibility, max possible lane length, minimum area to landscape and of course max fun to drive. Don't think I'll bother fixing it, it's just something you need to be aware of when driving blue. The rest of the lap more than makes up for it.

I am in Salisbury

Edited by nicko321

• 2 weeks later...

have to say havin done laps on the track its incredible , real character , drivers track , and by end of the night some parts were flat out , alot of fun and as already said in some parts , we ended up getting 3 wide

awesome job considering this is your first effort at such a project

toast

Cheers Toast,

Don't be a stranger.

Have had a name change here. It's now officially "Snake Gully"

Although I haven't finished the outside yet, I made driver signs to denote lane colour.

IMG_0181s_zps0bef38f8.jpg

Blue lane sign up close. Sorry for crap pics

IMG_0183s_zps830217aa.jpg

Also put some signage around, you can see in the first shot, haven't taken pics of them, but I can if you want.

But I did get one very awkward photo op.

IMG_0175s_zps56bb35cf.jpg

I am also toying with the idea of adding some elevation in the centre by raising from A in the pic to a peak around that corner near point B and then down through the esses to be flat before bridge, point C. I would love to get a nice dipper feeling through the esses

IMG_0163_zpsc0669d50-1_zps60987abd.jpg

Edited by nicko321

Do it. Do it. Do. It. You know you want to.

Some rise and fall through there would be brilliant. But you might have to find a new home for the monitor.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...