Another Rug Racer And Proud Of It...

shadow_rusty

Check the CARRace thread (http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15918-carrace-act-2013/page__fromsearch__1) for any details I miss...

I believe that next week will be on a Thursday, and should be a DHE night in Wanniassa...

06/06/13 - Digital / Heritage / Enduro – Jorgo and Bob

DHE nights are a lot more informal and relaxing...

The Digital cars are a house class, and the enduro part will one of our regular classes, and probably from group 'C', and will most likely be decided at tonight's racing...

I'll let you know when I do what is happening with this class...

The next formal night is Group 'C'

14/06/13 - Group C

Group C Nights - Rules Link - Official Rules LInk

• Classic F1 - '64 - '82 F1 cars using motors not exceeding 15000rpm at 12v
  • Modern F1 - Post '01 F1 cars from SCX using motors not exceeding 42B specs
  • SCX DTM / Touring - Post '01 touring cars including DTM from SCX using motors not exceeding 42B specs
  • Ninco GT - Any Ninco GT car using motors not exceeding NC5 / NC14 specs
  • Lemans Prototypes - Open Lemans class using motors not exceeding 21000rpm. Metal chassis, NSR, Avant and Slot-It cars are ineligible

Thanks

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

My best mate designed this great track last weekend...

It was definitely very fun and quite challenging to get consistently fast times...

Ben%2002%20-%202.JPG

Ben%2002.jpg

Corey and Dylan made this track a few weeks ago and they had a lot of fun on it...

The only real gotcha was the R1 before the crossover... Caught me out way too often...

Oh, and racing Dylan meant being aware where he was approaching the crossovers, as he would deliberately cause an accident... lol.

Gotta love kids addiction to crashes...

Corey modelling with his track...

Corey%2004%20-%202.jpg

And as always, a layout...

Corey%2004.jpg

Raced my best mate on this awesome track today...

Added a couple of elevations to make it feel more like a targa track, and it was great...

It was just so very even, and the best part was that some of my slightly underpowered cars were just as quick as his same class, but slightly better cars...

i.e. Ninco Audi TTR vs Ninco Askari...

The other challenge that was fun was that one of us would drive my Fly Truck, and the other would have to overtake it cleanly with my XB Falcon...

Whilst the XB was clearly faster through the corners, let me tell you, that truck can be made VERY wide, oh yeah, and the truck is no slouch down that lovely long straight either...

Rug%20Racer%2028%20-%202.jpg

Rug%20Racer%2028.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

My eldest decided to make a track today...

It was quite enjoyable, but the only downside of the raised bridge meant that the outside lane could ride the barriers on the 2 fastest corners...

Still, quite fun though...

Mitchell%2001%20-%202.JPG

Mitchell%2001.JPG

Built this great track yesterday...

The peak is about 40cm high, and the double hairpins going up the hill were great fun...

It has definitely confirmed my love of targa tracks and now I really really want to make a permanent targa track...

Rug%20Racer%2029%20-%203.jpg

Rug%20Racer%2029%20-%202.jpg

Rug%20Racer%2029.jpg

Built this track today, and was totally bored after 5 laps... It was just so uninspiring...

Rug%20Racer%2030.jpg

So I broke it up into sections, rebuilt it into this and was much much happier with the result...

Rug%20Racer%2031.jpg

Rug%20Racer%2031%20-%202.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

Awesome tracks. Being a plastic racer (off the carpet) myself I really value the fact that I can rebuild a totally different track in an hour or so. I like your use of the cross over corners. I haven't been using them recently because of the crash risk but on your large tracks they seem to create a real racing line effect. Some of your creations are just huge man.

Edited by Kholo Kid

Thanks heaps Kholo...

The best thing to do with the crossovers is to keep them close together and then treat that section of the track as a long squeeze section and don't attempt an overtake there...

I have 6 of them, but I'm not a fan of spreading them out at all... I have built a track with all 6 of them one after the other, and that was definately a fun section.

It was quite difficult to match the front cars pace so as to not have an accident, but stay close enough that you could attempt an overtake before returning to the 'squeeze' section...

One day I'll have to attempt to build a track that uses all of my pieces... :)

I regulary run out of full straights, and R1's, but almost never out of R2's...

The real limiting factors I have with my tracks are the small space I have to work with, no 22.5 degree corners, and the lack of short / quater straights...

I now have heaps of track for my needs, with a lot of extra long/short straights and R2 corners. The R1 corner is my favourite (I always use them all). When a track has R1’s I have to pay attention with every car and every race and getting the acceleration just right on the tight corner sections of the track results in a good lap time (I have a white board in the room where I record best lap times per car), not to mention the great drifts the R1’s can generate. On my current track the little S curve (R1’s) before the starting grid can get the cars to drift a good 30-40 cm’s in a straight line if you feather the accelerator a little – awesome.

As I use most of my cars at club racing, I run magless, and drifts will happen anywhere heavy throttle is applied... :)

I don't like to use 4x 45degree R1's to make a hairpin, but R2, R1, R1, R2 (all 45degree) is a great hairpin alternative to the 2x R1 90degree hairpin set (which work very well)...

As far as my wants list at the moment for track it's...

1. 6car powerbase
  2. Short / Quater straights
  3. R3 / R4 corners
  4. R1 22.5's
  5. Pitlanes
  6. R2 22.5's

Oh and Chips, Chips, and more Chips... lol.

Hopefully I get at least some of that for my birthday next month...

• 7 months later...

Finally built a semi permanent scaley track...

It's not very big, but it's still quite fun...

Shadows%20Semi%20Permanent%20Track.jpg

• 1 month later...

Extended the track by a total of 3.5 straights on the weekend...

Shadows%20Semi%20Permanent%20Track%20-%20Extended.jpg

Also, I finally added Lap Timing with this 'dodgy' uv light light bridge and some phototransistors under the track...

Connected it all to a prehistoric P3 laptop...

Shadows%20Semi%20Permanent%20Track%20-%20Light%20Bridge.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

Ah, that's because the lap counting on the powerbase in analog mode is rather average...

Also, now I can run proper races using race coordinator.

(I don't have the digital cable yet)

Also, when the powerbase is behaving (most scaley guides, some ninco ones, a few fly's and most slot-it's), the difference in laptimes is usually in the hundreths of a second...

For testing laps, it makes very little difference, but the different race modes, and being able to tally across multiple lanes on the pc means that the powerbase just can't compare.

I'm also thinking of putting relays on the controller extension cables so that I can control the track power from the laptop...

Should be fairly easy to do...

Multiple methods can be used...

Set pacer to 0, and open circuit the controller.

Set brakes to button, and add 10k? ohms inline to the controller circuit.

Set brakes to zero throttle, and dead short the controller.

Each has it's own drawbacks, but the last option is possibly the best.

Edited by shadow_rusty

• 2 weeks later...

Ah those digital cables are a bit exy, especially when you factor in the conversion rate and post from the UK.

Be great if there was a more affordable alternative local to Aussies?

I wonder how many people would go ahead and buy one if they were say $45ish (under $50) posted ?

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Yep, for under $50 myself and my brother would probably get one in a heartbeat. Currently the best option is Mih in NZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah those digital cables are a bit exy, especially when you factor in the conversion rate and post from the UK.

Be great if there was a more affordable alternative local to Aussies?

I wonder how many people would go ahead and buy one if they were say $45ish (under $50) posted ?

I may have found a 'cheaper' option... Still not $50, but better than the $70+ for the UK cable...

http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/pmtr6853.htm

PMTR6853-2.jpg

• 2 months later...

If that was the case, it would have been extended twice since then...

Unfortunately, I'm out of space for the track now...

I've had to 'reclaim' a cupboard for my cars, and it's full...

I have a bunch of trees and a couple of buildings that I'm planning to use as scenary, but I've been far too busy working on cars and racing...

Also have to finish the testing on a cheap RS485 cable and post up my results... (That's been waiting about 2 months now)

Edited by shadow_rusty

• 4 months later...

'New' Semi Permanent Layout... (Well, 2 months old now...)

Shadows%20Semi%20Permanent%20Track%20-%20New%20Layout.jpg

There is now an approximate 220mm raise from the corner at the bottom of the pic to the end of the hairpin section.

Next step, build a mountain under the hairpins...

Aiming for a Targa track on the side of a hill with the 'return' section (Rear of Pic) on a raised highway style bridge section style theme...

There will be a hut and trees on the upper parts of the hill, and a routed rally track in the infield.

It's also designed to allow digital use by adding a few lane changers, and can be extended by 1.5 full straights by adding another table at the bottom of the pic. Unfortunately, the extension will block a cupboard, so can't be permanent.

Here's a pic of the new layout with some elevations...

Shadows%20Semi%20Permanent%20Track%20-%20New%20Layout%202.jpg

Thanks guys...

Still a long way to go before it's finished, but it is definately very racable now...