neil

Powering Light Bridge & Other Lights Around The Tracki

1st,,Q). would there be a prob. in running many many(led) lights from the same power the cars are running from... Have a variable Power suply,, plenty of amps,,,,, 2 cars running @ the most.

just dont want to overload one power lead with multible power sources/outlets/plugs

You may have a problem with fluctuation in the lighting as the cars draw current from the same source.

I am about to construct some lighting around my track and was going to use a separate system one for the cars only then another for the rest of the electrical work around the track.

Must admit though that I am a bit of a novice and just learning my way through the electrical world, with plenty of help for others on this site.

Running leds on the same power source shouldn't be a problem though as they only work off 2.5v or 3v and only a couple of mA so won't overload the circuit.

My humble opinion only.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

"You may have a problem with fluctuation in the lighting as the cars draw current from the same source."

exactly what I'm thinking "will" happen,,,,,,,, But again thinking It "should'nt ............ A trip to the Jaycar fellas will hopefully sort me out

Provided you are using (as you should), a regulated power source, then any movement in voltage will be small, and measurable only in milliseconds if you are using normal., modern switch-mode type power supply.

Try and get at least a 5 amp supply for your 2 lane track.

LEDs should be each wired with a resistor on one side of their feed wires, and the value of that resistor is determined by the voltage of the supply - lets call this one 12 volts, and by the amount of current you WANT the LED to draw as appropriate to it's rating.

eg 20 milliamp is a common rated capacity for 3 and 5mm LEDs.

For that particular combination you would use a 470 ohm resistor, or a 560 ohmm resistor, resulting in sllghty over or under 20ma draw at 12 volts.

You just vary the resistor value used according to the parameters above - and also, if you want some LEDs dimmer, just use a higher value resistor....

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

well all is good as far,,,,,. Made a temporary light bridge so I can run the R/C,, I purchased the IR lights a while back & was unsure of the discusion @ the time,,, anyway unearthed the pakage & had resistors with.... all is good. In my journeys I've also unearthed a bunch of taffic lights that I purchased,,,, & they too are workin better than my expectations...... So now it's a definite trip to jay car to look for a simple switch with 3 funtions that can be operated @ 2drivers & posibly a 3rd/marshall point.