There'S Something Growing In My Shed

lenny broke

Thanks for all the comments guys.

@Peter, well you could get a car on there at least as I'm sure we'll host a proxy series round at some time in the future.

@Triggy, yeah it will be good to get some of the guys around fora couple of runs before I get some racing going

@ Mark, the gloss is growing on me. I started racing on gloss so am familiar. Didn't see ferrodore till I came back into plastic car racing. I hoping to run goo free and we'll get a rubber build up with use.

I gave the surface a bit of a texture by laying the roller back over the paint just as it was starting to go off . It gives it a dapple finish but it's not rough

I'm getting a bit excited about getting it finished soon but I have to take a break for a couple of weeks while we babysit the grand kids up in Queensland.

Mark I'll PM you when I get up North to arrange a catch up.

Cheers

Alan

G'Day

Well the painting is mostly done now, and yes Virginia it's a gloss surface, not what i intended but somehow i ended up with some shiny paint.I decided to stick with it anyway.

The surface is a Wattyl oil based paving paint. The outer faces of the fence is done with some heritage red exterior I had left over and the inner some water based white low sheen enamel

Now just some detailing to do, then onto the braiding and wiring everything up.

IMG_1122_zpsufhhfmyr.jpg

Cheers Alan

G'day Alan,

track looks good..

Quite a few guys would recocnise it , but would be expecting a bit of banking on this near corner :rolleyes:

But then again, if they are Victorians, they would probably like it as it is.

See ya,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for that. I did have a play with a slight banking jut by pulling the legs out a bit at the bottom giving about 5deg but after I fitted the fencing it just got a bit difficult to pull it all in so went flat instead.

Not sure about the Vics but I remember at the 78 Nats round a few grumbles about the dog leg, hairpin and esses going back up to lead on.

Alan

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys and Gal(s?)

I've finished construction and braiding a few weeks ago and the track is ready for a test day later this week. I've run a few cars over the track and I think it is going to be fairly quick with a couple of spots that may cause a few headaches for the less attentive. The gloss surface really likes clean tyres which slowly fade after a bit of a run just like the real thing. It seems like just most tyres will offer reasonable grip, further use will tell what works best. I ended up using Fullers Toolbox to stick the braid down. So far it seems to be holding with the current varying temps in the garage.

I don't have the timing/ control unit set up yet but I reckon lap times will be in the 7-8 second area but we'll know once we get that all sorted.

IMG_1254_zpsqcaz4gda.jpg

IMG_1252_zpshgouk2eu.jpg

IMG_1249_zpsdrok78dg.jpg

IMG_1247_zpscnnktnsx.jpg

IMG_1248_zpseeyiqtb8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Once again thanks for the nice comments.

Worth the wait Alan.But shoudnt it be purple?

yeah probably with orange fence panels :blink:

I'm guessing that you raced womps on the original AMR "Daytona" (as it was originally named) when I did in the late 70's, and that we knew each other.

Alan

Now I know who you are, I thought we'd unearthed another old AMR racer. I've sent an e-mail to your hotmail account with some details.

Edited by lenny broke

And just so there's no confusion this was the AMR as in Adelaide Miniature Raceway formerly upstairs in the Ilford building in Pulteney St and not Adelaide Model Raceway that is currently running in the Blackwood /Belair area

Not sure if this has been posted before but here's tho only photograph, known to me of the original layout taken back in the day. thanks to wizardgm and his brother for the pic.

AMR%200316_zpsjno46iml.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Alan, every time I see your thread, I want to add a smart comment about calling the Narc. squad to raid you....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

That would be good!!! I haven't seen those guys in ages.

I used to drink with some drug squad guys at my local years ago.

Used to be fun watching some dope head trying to sell them a little green bag :lol:

Edited by lenny broke

oh well it's relevant to the thread I 'spose

Dunno whats sadder Pete, me posting the same bl%dy pic over and again or you remembering where it is!!!! :wacko:

Edited by lenny broke

hello Everybody,

i had the chance to test the new track. it is a beauty, so, before anything else, well done to the builder!!! in the condition it is in today (new), the slot it tires were amazing. MJK were good. The BRM were not gripping as good. I do expect that it will change after few race night:).

strangely i did not struggle with the S but on the other side of the track. The long straight is followed by a beautiful curve... but then, you get into a corner which has a smaller radius with the car facing you. i must have come off 20 times there with at least one going overboard. Nothing to say about the track or the car. The problem was the driver.

I believe that it will be a very fast track but as usual, i will enjoy the slow car the most on it.

So, overall, it looks like a beauty, it ride like a beauty and ask for respect... great track.

Here a pic of how I store most of the legs when the track is dismantled and stored away.

IMG_1270_zpsrh0mqrqo.jpg

It's one half of those cheap shelve/workbench kits you get from the big green and orange box shops. It holds all the standard length (700mm) legs. There's another 12 or so of varying length that store against the wall wthl the track sections.

Edited by lenny broke