There'S Something Growing In My Shed

lenny broke

Evenin' All

Well I 've finally got started on building a track that I've had plans to build for the last ten years. Long term members may remember the track plan I've posted on various forums over the years. The design is based on a track I raced on when I first started going to commercial raceways back in the last century. The original was a HUGE 8 laner of 234ft length. It's always remained a favourite with me and now I'm in a position to replicate it but in a smaller 4 lane format. The foot print will be 2600mm X 7000 mm on 12mm MDF sheets.

Lane spacing will be 100mm with 120 -140 mm outer and 60mm inner aprons

The pic below shows the first piece to be made which is the hairpin. The next section will be the big 180 degree turn at the end of the main straight.

This won't be a rapid build so may take some time to build as I will be making time to work on it when I can.

newtrackhairpin.jpg

Hopefully a bit more to show next week.

Cheers

Alan

Hi stu.

I'm afraid not. I don't see this being completed before mid year if then. Remember it's taken a decade to get this far and I reckon I was thinking about it in the 90's. We don't rush things in these parts ;) What I want to do is get all the bits and pieces like legs and support structures fabricated first, then I'll cut out the remaining track pieces. I've got the idea of putting it all together on the legs and then routing the slots in continuous runs, rather than routing the individual pieces and trying to line it all up to continue on with the next piece.

Regards

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

G'day

Just to show that this project hasn't become a one piece of MDF leaning against the wall

here's what I've managed in the intervening ten months. there's still a bit missing but that should go in next weekend.

Cheer's, Alan

IMG_6599_zpsafbf22cc.jpg

see post 3 -_-

It's also amazing how when you let slip you might spend some time on it, how the significant other always contrives something else far more important to do with the time. :huh:

Edited by lenny broke

• 9 months later...

Hi guys

Yes the dream is still alive, Though I can't believe where the time has gone!!!

I've been tinkering away on a jig for drilling both the battens that will help support and cross brace the track boards and the top plate for the triangle shaped legsthat will bolt up together. The idea is to get all the holes drilled at a consistent spacing without having to mark up every piece. Also some of the battens will be paired where the track panels will join hence a pair of battens.

Luckily I have some off cuts lying around from when I constructed a rainwater tank stand so it cost me nothing to make.

IMG_8278_zpsa3c1a8ed.jpg

This side holds two battens

IMG_8280_zpse0092ac2.jpg

IMG_8279_zpsa5fb20f9.jpg

and this side is for holding the top plate of the leg assembly.

IMG_8282_zps3dbec230.jpg

If there are any safety gnomes watching, I'm holding the drill one handed for demonstration purposes only, because I'm taking the pic with the other.

IMG_8284_zps2b7ba0fa.jpg

The drilled battens with the T-nuts, mudguard washers and bolts ready for assembly.

IMG_8285_zpsd517411c.jpg

And here' s a mock-up of a leg fixed to the battens. I used a scrap piece to test if it all lined up.

I'm off o/s at the end of the month till early October but I hope to get stuck in when I get back. I hope!!!!!!I've cut back on some other activities to allow me to do this and other projects I've got on the go at home presently.

I still can't believe it's nearly two years since the first post!!!

Cheers

Alan

• 4 months later...

I've done a bit more work on the track over the break. drilling out the battens for the legs to attach to and fixing them to the track sctions. I've also been making the legs. Routing the legs out has been the hardest part of the job so far.

I can only get to working on the track sporadically unfortunately. one neighbour has a newborn and another is a shift worker, so I have to be careful about how much noise I make. better to keep them sweet than have irate neighbours

Anyway here's a couple of pics of my (slow) progress

IMG_0943_zps75f364c5.jpgIMG_0945_zps06502ac5.jpg

when you do get around to routing in 2018, don't make the mistake of doing it in your garage.

the fine dust gets everywhere.

I routed my first track in my garage over 5 years ago and still have the dust in every crevis.

Too late for that and yes it's every where.

when you do get around to routing in 2018, don't make the mistake of doing it in your garage.

the fine dust gets everywhere.

I routed my first track in my garage over 5 years ago and still have the dust in every crevis.

Too late for that and yes it's every where.

Make sure your dad's torana is covered well. its a bitch to washout... my valiant been covered a few times

Hi Ian, I've got a tarp over Sarah (dad's nickname for her) but it's still getting in. I vacuum regularly and am using the vacuum attached to the router but it's not catching a lot. once Ive finished routing I'm going to strip everything out of the shed and clean it all. Big job I know but better in the long run.

Alan