Tasman Cup 2013

charlesx

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slo1quick - thanks for the offer but I'm going to give it a go if it kills me. I haven't done body mounts yet but will be hopefully doing those tomorrow night - only get about 30min to work on the cars at the most in the evening - body is pretty snug already on the chassis.

I might have a look at those fronts and perhaps try some other axles/wheels so that they sit a lot lower - no dramas - all part of the learning experience.

I have to get this done and dusted in the next fortnight as I have to start looking at a couple of models for a race night

As ever thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Hi all.

Had a productive day with Lotus 18/21. Painted and installed carb. intakes then made and fitted suspension. It is starting to look like a racing car. See photos below.

IMG_5824_zps401b6000.jpg

IMG_5827_zpscfc8e721.jpg

IMG_5826_zps3602ab7e.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Hi all.

Progress as at 7 3 2013. Paint job nearing completion and body fitted to chassis. Some last minute body alterations were required.

Have agreed to put in as late entryNo.5 so all hands to the wheel. Been away at weekend at NZ RTR Hardbody Nationals so have spent all day on car today.

Have to post by tomorrow but have progressed well since this photo was taken. Some of it a bit rushed so hopefully end result will look OK.

IMG_5828_zpsd52f27cc.jpg

IMG_5829_zpsd38873c7.jpg

IMG_5830_zps45d8072f.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all. The final episode begins.

Finished car today and it is now winging its way to West Island.

Rush to get car finished in less than a week resulted in a few mishaps. Got glue and paint on windscreen and numeral decals do not match but overall car seems pretty good. No idea how it goes as there was no time for track testing.

Here are final photos.

IMG_5831_zps6c66a0db.jpg

IMG_5834_zpsb1eaa857.jpg

IMG_5837_zps6317830d.jpg

IMG_5839_zps14d6cb51.jpg

IMG_5835_zpseee9bb73.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

I clearly well out of my league here - but what the hell. Finally got around to apply some decals to the body, a coat of Tamiya clear cloat tomorrow night and vola body should be pretty much done. I've sourced one of the kids to apply their painting skills to the driver and steering wheel - all those $$$ spent on Games Workshop might actually come in handy.

I must say a massive thanks to Stubbo for supplying the decal sheet - damnn easy things to get off the sheet.

Not my best effort with the decals but the smudgy look is a bit more realistic (that what I keep telling myself - if I had another few hours I'd probably get it right - you should hae seen the first ones). Learning a bundle as ever.

Tasman4.jpg

Tomorrow night is solder night where I finally put on the suspension come hail or shine and maybe an exhaust. It's all coming together ready I'm hoping by the end of the weekend for posting next week (If I'm lucky).

Enjoy or rather - giggle at the spectacle.

Edited by miveson

Hi Miveson,

Colour looks better than mine. Presume yours is earlier Lotus 18. Stirling Moss drove this to victory possibly at Monaco 1960.

Look forward to finished result. My Lotus was very rushed as never intended for event this year originally. Like you however Cooper then Lotus were the first brass chassis cars I had ever built so quite a learning process.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Oh well - to late to change the side panels now - they are glued on....

Today was a great day in the office so to speak.

- I re-did the decals as I wasn't happy with the previous ones, probably something to do with me using my finger to move the decal from the backing sheet. Different technique and far better results.

- I painted the driver using the limited paints that I could find, I dearly wanted a red helmet colour but it's not to be.

- Added the springs which I've been promising to do for so, so long and it only took about an hour - still I've got a new appreication for piano wire.

Tas1.jpg

Tas2.jpg

A coat of Tamiya tonight and the body should be done and dusted. The end is fast approaching - yay...

I have to thank slo1quick for his help and guidance with the springs, thank goodness he sent me 4 pairs as the pieces are so small that I lost a few bits and bobs over time.

I'm having an issue with the bearings popping out of the chassis, I'll probably glue them tomorrow unless anyone has a better idea.

A little bit of tidying up to be done, axle trimming and adding relevant wheel inserts, roll bar, exhausts, guide etc.

I keep asking myself would I do it again, bloody oath would be the answer - I still feel like a noob but I'm slowly getting there,

I still need to run it - hopefully I'll get to give it a whirl sometime next weekend.

Mark : Stu contracts out the shock building! Gets his daughter to do it!

Almost finished, but how does it go? I believe the two organizers has a shake Disney run last weekend, of a shake up! Noticed that they did not report any results of the Bass Straight Challenge for some reason!

Phil - I'm shocked (sorry - couldn't resist) that his daughter does it.....

I ran it about a month ago before I started mucking around - there is little time left to do that much to it..... the spray can comes out in abut an hour. The bearing glue a little later.

Interesting news of a shakedown between the organisers - come on tell us the results?

Hi Miverson (Mark).

Decals look a better but your eye may need adjusting a bit. Side one looks a little out of kilter but overall effect is fine.

Not sure how STUBBO makes his decals but inkjet ones need several coats of debonder. You should not have trouble sliding them off then and adjusting on car. If you get them crooked I have found you can even re-wet and have second go.

One hour for suspension sounds pretty good. Mine took best part of day but I did do other jobs in between.

Look forward to further progress. I would not worry about side panels too much. I am sure there were other races where they were on.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Charles - the side decal is not centre or level - however the body received a couple of coats of Tamiya last night. I've had a day off any building today - only because I've been running all over the coast with trial games for the kids and myself - well and truly stuffed so hopefully I'll get back on it tomorrow evening. I really need to setup a track and give it a test before doing anything else, only opportunity may be tomorrow night. I'm still very worried about the mesh and rear axle being held in the chassis. Nothing I can't fix but it'll be interesting to see what happens when it's on the track.

From there it'll be cutting the axles and soldering some sections for the front, adding the guide and adjusting the wheel diameters. I've got to get myself some Formula 560 to glue the windscreen on the front. The driver has been painted and I got a bit of a compliment from the kids about what a great job I'd done. It's almost over - probably one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever done - I'm hooked. Probably spent the countries GDP on parts that I didn't even know existed. I still wish there was another month to go....

I'm having an issue with the bearings popping out of the chassis, I'll probably glue them tomorrow unless anyone has a better idea.

Maybe have a crack at soldering them in.

Mark : Stu contracts out the shock building! Gets his daughter to do it!

Almost finished, but how does it go? I believe the two organizers has a shake Disney run last weekend, of a shake up! Noticed that they did not report any results of the Bass Straight Challenge for some reason!

Need her to do some more, quality control has gone out the window since she got a better offer.

A bad day slotting is still better than a good days work !

Edited by slo1quick

Have to agree the cars do look excellent with the jewels.....

Gave the car a run this evening and as expected it ran terribly - I soldered the rear bushes to the chassis and was able to fix another issue with the gear mesh that was causing me great concern, the soldering helped greatly with the gear mesh and it's running as smooth as silk now with the body off. Putting the body on is another challenge. Anyways, it'll get a serious run this Saturday night with the c/coast race night - no doubt I'll pickup some additional tips from the masters there.

If all goes to plan it should be in the post soon - only thing I'm struggling with is sourcing some Formula 560 - unless I can source some in the CBD there is no chance of getting any posted to me in time for me to send off express post Wednesday at the latest.

• 2 months later...

Hi all Tasman/VRAA car builders past and present.

I have just received an order from Dart Hobbies in Canada. Art kindly included a new driver body that has been specially molded to fit around a slimline motor. It is not on his website yet that I can see.

I know myself when I constructed my Lotus 18/21 with a slimline motor I had to do a lot of modification to get a full driver in the car.

For anybody building a new car or re-motoring an old one from Solabotic to slimline the new driver should be really useful and simplify driver installation where motor impinges on the cockpit area.

Regards

Chas Le Breton