Car construction projects

79 replies to this topic

#41 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I am using 8:24 with my Solabotic in Cooper Climax. Did buy 25T to try but it is still in packet. Hopefully car is in Melbourne by now or very close.

Re front wheels Miveson I would have thought this was restricted by prototype.

Look forward to your photos. I have my Lotus 18/21 just about readty to paint.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#42 rsclio

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull the pin on this
Sorry gents just too much going on to get a car built, tested and tuned
Stubbo,
please put my entry into the prize pool
I'll get a start on my car for next year - might almost have it ready by then!
I'll also help out at Cheltenham if you wish
Cheers
Mike
Cheers
Mike

Diamo Stages

#43 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

sad to see you pull the pin Mike, on the flip side my sketchy can i can't i situation is now resolved. i've managed to complete and test my lotus 24 and she'll be on the grid this season. i'll get my entry fee in on payday. i'm pleased and somewhat relieved to complete this car, it wasn't an easy build. the windscreen looks crap but otherwise a nice little car. i don't know how she will perform against the other entries, she may be a tad porky.
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

#44 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to see RSCLIO pull out. Thought that time frame was getting a little tight for some.

Just to brighten things up a bit however the second car I am building - Lotus 18/21 - is progressing well. Have just applied final coat of paint but I decided to play with too soon. It was dry but not hard. Bugger. Will have to repaint.

See photo.

Posted Image

Please note however that car was not built for this year and I have my doubts I could get finished in time. We have our NZ RTR Nationals this weekend then I am away for 2 weeks. Will try and finish in time but no promises in case organisers need another car. There may be others waiting on the sideline anyway.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#45 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I didn't get as much as I wanted done this weekend.... oh well - I'm trying to do a little bit each day.

Finished my dodgy spray paint job which is more purple than navy blue (urgh).

I've got a fair few thing to do and I'm doing a little bit each night to ensure I meet the finish date

- tonight I'll be adding the mount post after drilling a new hole (it could probably get away without it but anyways).
- add springs, I've already snapped the piano wire between putting stuff away and getting it out so a bit more work to be done there.
- I need to fix the pinion to the motor as I'm not happy with it as it isn't as smooth as it was before I did it.
- paint driver and his head - might get the kids to give me a hand with their painting skills
- add some exhausts
- re-read rules to ensure guide is set correctly
- front wheels could probably be smaller but the PP chassis doesn't really allow for a smaller axle unless I sleeve it or something similar
- trim rear axle
- where oh where does the time go?

Posted Image

#46 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

add some exhausts

I hope you meant EXHAUST? Its only a 4 pot Climax!

#47 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Looks great Miveson. Once you add wheels inserts and perhaps grind down front tyres a bit it will look great.

Presume yours is Lotus 18 whereas mine is later hybrid 18/21. Apart from nose they look very similar.

Good luck with rest of project. Looks like you have made start with suspension too. Have not even thought about mine.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#48 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Chas - nothing better than a bit of praise to help along with the motivation..... loving the build - something very different to normal.

#49 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Looking good Mark! These cars are pretty fiddly little customers eh!?
Looks like you having some trouble with th shocks and mounting them. If you dont figure how to get them mounted send them with the car and I'll mount them for ya.
Re the front tyres; is the guide sitting high when the front wheels are mounted? How did ya go with the body mounts? Maybe someone here on the forum has something more simple for mounting the body.?
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#50 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

If anyone is looking for a good chassis jig to build some of these cars Moose and biedmatt are looking at another run of there great jig, check out the VRAA thread over on SCI for more info. A few guys here are using the first version.

#51 rsclio

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

looks great Mark
Cheers
Mike

Diamo Stages

#52 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Slo1quick - thanks for the offer but I'm going to give it a go if it kills me. I haven't done body mounts yet but will be hopefully doing those tomorrow night - only get about 30min to work on the cars at the most in the evening - body is pretty snug already on the chassis.

I might have a look at those fronts and perhaps try some other axles/wheels so that they sit a lot lower - no dramas - all part of the learning experience.

I have to get this done and dusted in the next fortnight as I have to start looking at a couple of models for a race night

As ever thanks for the help - much appreciated.

#53 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Sorry to see you out Mike !

To back up Phil, Check out the thread on SCI
Ihttp://www.slotcaril...ead.php?t=69714
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#54 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hi all.

Had a productive day with Lotus 18/21. Painted and installed carb. intakes then made and fitted suspension. It is starting to look like a racing car. See photos below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx, 06 March 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#55 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

You make chassis building and the suspension look so ridiculously easy..... you'd make me feel better if you took a photo with a beer bottle on the table somewhere.

#56 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hi all.

Progress as at 7 3 2013. Paint job nearing completion and body fitted to chassis. Some last minute body alterations were required.

Have agreed to put in as late entryNo.5 so all hands to the wheel. Been away at weekend at NZ RTR Hardbody Nationals so have spent all day on car today.

Have to post by tomorrow but have progressed well since this photo was taken. Some of it a bit rushed so hopefully end result will look OK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#57 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi all. The final episode begins.

Finished car today and it is now winging its way to West Island.

Rush to get car finished in less than a week resulted in a few mishaps. Got glue and paint on windscreen and numeral decals do not match but overall car seems pretty good. No idea how it goes as there was no time for track testing.

Here are final photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#58 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

I clearly well out of my league here - but what the hell. Finally got around to apply some decals to the body, a coat of Tamiya clear cloat tomorrow night and vola body should be pretty much done. I've sourced one of the kids to apply their painting skills to the driver and steering wheel - all those $$$ spent on Games Workshop might actually come in handy.

I must say a massive thanks to Stubbo for supplying the decal sheet - damnn easy things to get off the sheet.

Not my best effort with the decals but the smudgy look is a bit more realistic (that what I keep telling myself - if I had another few hours I'd probably get it right - you should hae seen the first ones). Learning a bundle as ever.

Posted Image

Tomorrow night is solder night where I finally put on the suspension come hail or shine and maybe an exhaust. It's all coming together ready I'm hoping by the end of the weekend for posting next week (If I'm lucky).

Enjoy or rather - giggle at the spectacle.

Edited by miveson, 14 March 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#59 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi Miveson,

Colour looks better than mine. Presume yours is earlier Lotus 18. Stirling Moss drove this to victory possibly at Monaco 1960.

Look forward to finished result. My Lotus was very rushed as never intended for event this year originally. Like you however Cooper then Lotus were the first brass chassis cars I had ever built so quite a learning process.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#60 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

The Moss Monaco winner has no side panels fitted during the race.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users