mondeoman

Moffat Falcon

Picked up some of Patto's peal and stick vinyl transfers the other day, http://www.auslot.co...6-patto-decals/

so with bugger all to do today, i transformed this ......

DSC08217_zpsfcb3175c.jpg

Into this ......

DSC08216_zpsdd24ca6c.jpg

It was mainly done as an experiment also it'll be the car that will be raced, so keeping it pristine was never a problem

The transfers aren't to bad, the sides fit pretty good with minimal trimming

F-CityFrd-1975-32.jpg

The bonnet and boot are ok the roof is just a fraction too small, which meant a quick mix of a few colours to get a red that looked similar

Same thing with the gold, the transfers for the front and rear bumpers didn't cover to well so it was easier just to paint them.

I didn't prep the body, i just stuck the transfers straight over the top, even so you can see some of the No9 through the red

All in all was it worth it, i think so, as i said it's for the track, and i'll know which is mine out of the dozen XB's running

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Looks great Gaz

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, as i said something different from a field full of number 9's

Gary

so with bugger all to do today,

Geeze, Gazza!

You are game putting that up on the interweb where your missus can read it...

Nice work for a sticker job BTW, but it would be so easy to swap out some Mustang Minilites for those sad BBS imitations?

Edited by KarKraft

Yeh i was going to fit a gold set, still might, there's a couple of months before the Trans Am season starts up here

Gary

Good onya Gazza for putting your toe in the water. I have wondered how Pattos various XA/B decals would fit the new Scaley model. There are a few variations to try however the original is still hard to surpass IMO.

Normal people worry me

How did you find the vinyl for conformability Gazza? I'm rather surprised that he doesn't use a finer one, given that what the stickers are being put upon are really so small. I ask because the shaping on the bonnet seems to have got a little lost.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Given he's using Avery product. The only one suitibable for such tight contouring is the 1030D. But applying it is like tryin to use glad wrap. Something this size the bubble release or controltac is only going to make matters worse.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Looks great Gazza, Nice choice of livery to..........

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Gazza can you show us your handiwork under the front? It gets a bit fiddly with the front body mounts. Nothing a bit of Superglue cant hold?

The mod to the front is a variation on the "Phil Mod" for the Mustang chassis to fit the XY resin

After fitting the Ninco sprung guide mod, i modified the front axle mounts, but Instead of moving forward i raised them

DSC08237_zps6041d87a.jpg

Changed the front tyres to a set of Mustang fronts, then set the axle mounts in place with complete rolling chassis to get the right height.

Once happy with the stance and axle setup, a couple of drops of super glue to hold in place, then heaps of areldite so it'll never move.

As it sits lower the front axle needs to be shortened by a couple of mill, and the sides of the axle mount filed back, the inside of the wheel arches need a slight scraping as well.

As you've already cut into a soon to be classic, you might as well go the rest of the way by cutting the base of the interior

DSC08246_zpsf9847226.jpg

As you can see, most of the base was removed and new floor panels glued in, this raised the driver up.

The work done to the front axle and the interior were the only mods done to the car, none of the body screw posts were touched

As far as the decals go ...... would i do another complete body (as above) only if i was racing it, not good enough finish IMO for a display set

I had also bought the Goss No 1 XB set as well, which i was keen to do but there were issues with some of the front and rear decals out of scale, i've been in contact with Bruce and he has fixed the problem.

Old set

paddogoss165_zps0c687594.jpg

The Goss decals would be a lot easier to do as it very basic, maybe after the City Ford has done a few laps and battle scared it'll have a change of war paint

Gary

When is Scalextric going to make a decent product. Having owned an XB 2 door, I think they cocked up the dimensions, and it doesn't look right, hence having seen someone elses, I will save my money, instead of second rate chinese crap.

• Upvote 1

enjoy your new beast. are you old enough to remember the real car?

i saw the REAL thing race at AIR. the good old days.......

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

OK guys. Two points to remember:

1) Scalextric make toys not scale models.

2) To date they are the only ones producing any form of Australian car with the Torana and now the XB Coupe, and the V8SCs by commission from the Australian distributor.

Sure, the Falcon is not perfect. I defy anyone to find a mass produced slot car that is a prefect scale representation of the 1:1 model. But it is at least a fair approximation of an Aussie classic. If you don't support it, it is highly unlikely that you'll get a chance at any more.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well said Embs...

I've got a XB, and after the magnet was removed, a light tyre true on the rear, and a large 1.5mm true on the front, it goes very well now...

My brother has a Torana, and we had to take 2+mm off of the front tyres to get it to sit low enough, and now he almost considers it 'boring' and it won't deslot...

So I told him to remove the magnet and see how 'boring' it is...

I worked at Thomson Ford in Parramatta during the XB, XC era as a body mechanic. That meant fixing water leaks, rattles, panels that didn't fit right, etc.

The average XB, XC two door was a badly made piece of junk, body wise, and the Landau was worse again. A nightmare of vacuum hoses and fancy panels that didn't fit.

If Scalextric make something that looks even close that's good enough for me. At least I won't have to spend 3 hours getting a door to fit and close properly.

PS

One good feature of the job was that I got to test thrash, I mean drive, some quick machinery, although it's hard to wind out a Phase 3 in a Parramatta back street.

Edited by Garry J
  • Upvote 1

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

The average XB, XC two door was a badly made piece of junk, body wise, and the Landau was worse again. A nightmare of vacuum hoses and fancy panels that didn't fit.

eek.gifShame on you, blasphemy of the worst kind.

They were a beautiful looking beast though.nod.gif

One good feature of the job was that I got to test thrash, I mean drive, some quick machinery, although it's hard to wind out a Phase 3 in a Parramatta back street.

This I can relate to. Just last week I took one of the new Falcon GT's for a little test run. An awesome (I hate that word but it is the right word for this) car, but nowhere to really give it a go.

Alan Stubbings

Alan, I have to agree. Despite all the grief they caused me fixing them, I still think they're one of a very few great Aussie classics.

I only ever got to drive a Phase 3 once. We had a client who owned one, he was a huge guy and he broke the drivers seat 3 times that I know of, must have been a fun experience. I got to fix it one day when my boss was away and test drove it with the customer in the passenger seat. He kept telling me to "get up it" but it was a bit too much of a beast in those narrow back streets. No traction control in those days.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

KarKraft, when they built the new workshop there was a big opening party with a couple of race cars there but I really can't remember much about the event. Free beer will do that to you.

We never saw a race car at the dealership other than that.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Has anyone considered sending a list of cars to Scalextric. I've spoken with them and always had a reply. I'm not saying they will do anything but at least you know you've tried. They might only be looking at a guaranteed minimum uptake and only Australian dealers can do that. Look at the success of the Bob Jane editions. They'd be a winner if reissued but as a limited edition that's not possible. Lessons should be learned.

Ashes to ashes funk to funky we all know Chris is a junkie.

When is Scalextric going to make a decent product. Having owned an XB 2 door, I think they cocked up the dimensions, and it doesn't look right, hence having seen someone elses, I will save my money, instead of second rate chinese crap.

Perhaps you could tell us where you think they "cocked" up the dimensions.

Alan Stubbings