Jimmyslots Slot Builds

jimmyslots 1950

Finally decided to do a topic on my slot builds now that I've got some spare time.

My builds are mainly 1/24th with a few 1/28th Kyosho Mini Z & 1/32nd re-paints.

The bulk of my builds are from 1/24th Model kits with some kids toy conversions & RC.

This first one is an RC car that I picked up on special from Repco & is that good a repliction of a V8 Super car that I coulden't help myself so I bought 2 .At $25 ea they are very affordable & seem strong enough to take a good hit.

The box said 1/24th but they are just a little bit bigger than my 1/28th scale Mini Z's & the same size as a Monogramme Mustang.

Initially I was a bit worried they would be too skinny & fall over in turns,but I was very surprised at how good it cornered so I raced out to get anoyher one.

The dimensions are 190mm long,72mm wide & weighs in at 50gms but if I got serious I'm sure 10gms could be removed easily,but what the heck they both handle very well so maybe down the track I might get the dremmel cranked up.

I used 2 different chassis set ups & different tyre combinations for each.One has a Plafit 1700 chassis & sponge tyres the other has a MJK short dog bone chassis with AMR low profile rubber tyres & my own custom wheels.Both cars have Plafit Fox 2 donks that are more than adequite for the job without being Banshee's.

Here's some pics

The RC setup

VoyagercruzeNZ2012101.jpg

Bonnets off

VoyagercruzeNZ2012099.jpg

Finished car

VoyagercruzeNZ2012098.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

I had thoughts of sticking a guide on the front, and radio controll it around the track.

:huh:

Hi Steve

I put a guide on Mk1 before it was turned into a slot car because my track wasn't wide enough to drive without hitting every fence,took it to Thursday night racing at Dapto & put it on the far side of the track & drove it around to where Greg was standing & put in reverse when he was looking at it.Didn't shock him,all he said was I've got one of them & brought the next week when mine was converted & had a few quick laps together.

His was in the silver livery,I think Butch built for him a while ago,but isn't that typical of Greg,if it's a slot car, looking good,Greg's got at least 1.

Seriously thinking of getting another 2 & repainting into a different livery to use as house cars at my track instead of the Tamiya Can-Ams that I was working on. I don't think I'll ever get the Can-Am set finished with good reproductions like these coming out all the time,any way back to the work bench.

Looks awsome Jim , Now there's a one make series that's screaming for a run .

Thats what I thought Paul,& we could throw one in the microwave on high for 30 seconds & call it a Ford & have 2 manufacturers :rolleyes::D

Just lend it to Pittstop for a weekend

Looks great Jimmy..Quick, create a class that only allows 1 plafit chassis combo. No options, standard length centre section, pans and T piece. Wow.. a homologated (is that how you spell it?) class that in fact uses all the parts we have left over from cars that failed to be fast enough...I like it!

Hi Kim

Funny you hit the nail right on the head ,Cam & I had that very same conversation earlier in the year.I've been on the look out for an Aussie V8 Super car for years now & always knew one would turn up & probably in an RC format.

This one ticks all the boxes,price,shape,durability & redily avaliable with the importer in Kirrawee just an hour up the road.

I just bought another 2 today & I'm looking forward to doing some retro paint liveries.The plan is to use up some old Flexi car chassis for the next 2 & some of my other spare parts lying around.

If a class was created I think one of the Plafit ready to run chassis would be the way to go,I've got a used set of Scaleauto wheels on the rear & are just a neat fit inside the guards,keeping it simple would make it much much easier to get newbies interested.

Aussi,Aussie,Aussie,oui,oui,oui

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first re-paint for the VE Commodore,on this one I've gone for an 80's livery & added a Lexan interiour & windows to cut down weight & give the car more real appearance.

Body weghs in at 44gms with 3 wall plugs as body mounts for the MJK Chassis.

These body's are definately ticking all the boxes to be a stand alone class but for next year they will be added to our Muscle cars & we'll see how much interest they generate.

Here's some pics,the first one is next to my Scaley of the same livery.

VEDunnydoor001.jpg

VEDunnydoor004.jpg

VEDunnydoor005.jpg

After looking at this pic I'm going to revisit the front windscreen as it looks crap.

VEDunnydoor019.jpg

Time to start my next one :D

Cheers Jimmy :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished my second VE Commodore re paint in a series of 4 cars.

This one is a copy of my all time favourite livery Commodore from the Greatest period in Australian motor sport.

This VK livery tribute car has a few different parts as I search for a set up that is best suited to the tracks down here on the Sunny South Coast N.S.W.

Wheels are my own 10mm wide x 19mm OD & I've trued a set of MJK tyres from our Nascars down to 27 mm OD.

Fronts are 8mm wide x 19mm OD with a set of MJK hard fronts trimmed to 8mm wide & 25mm OD.

Wheels are very close to scale & the MJK'S are just the right amount of grip for my Ferradore track.

Traction & handling is very similar to our 1/24th Nascars which is our favourite class of car at Dapto.

The MJK's allow the car to slide on demand so good throttle control is essential for a good lap making these cars great fun to drive when you master them.

Here's some pics,hope you like.

CommodoreVKTributeMK2012_zps106826d8.jpg

CommodoreVKTributeMK2013_zpsff3dc7f2.jpg

2 down & 2 to go.

CommodoreVKTributeMK2008_zps811c2ba6.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just completed my latest slotty,it's a Revell 1/24th scale Ferrari 458 Italia.

It's been fitted up to a Plafit 1700 G chassis that was sitting around doing nothing & with a Plafit Cheetah donk it will be my new GT car for Thursday night at X-Treme Trax.

I was going to flare the guards & fit a wing to turn it into a GT but decided to leave fairly standard with the only addition a splitter on the front,It's such a pretty car I didn't spoil its natural looks & didn't want to do another race car copy.

DSC04217_zpsa513546a.jpg

DSC04210_zps49501abf.jpg

DSC04208_zps0e852245.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had a nice break from rule restricted builds to go back to the 80's & do some Speedway cars that my mate Gary & I used to race at Kembla Grange Speedway.

Gary supplied some Sprint + chassis for the Sprint cars which I extended by 10mm & then passed them on to Gary to do the roll bars & then back to me to finish off the assembly & track test.

Sprint cars were fitted with Plafit Pointer motors & are a lot of fun & look sensational.

Commmodore Super sedan is a copy of my car & is very close to the actual car except the replica is a VK & my car was a VB.

Motor is a tired old Plafit Cheetah that has been retired from serious racing but still gets along pretty well.

DSC04260_zpsc3652d0f.jpg

My Speedway collection

DSC04290_zpse68157ac.jpg

My Commodore

DSC04236_zps7b1b74a0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of spare time last week & decided to give the display cabinet a good clean.Best place to park all the cars was on the track,& what the heck I'll give them all a run to see if they still work.

Spent 2 days cleaning & driving the 1/32nd & the big surprise was only about 10 didn't work & another 10 had tyres like rocks.

Only gave some of the 1/24th's a run as they are what I'm into at the moment.

Even though I mainly race 1/24th the little 1/32s are a lot of fun especially the Slot it's & SCX Nascars

The bride sprung me & thinks I've got too many toys,but I think I need a bigger track. :D

1/24th 171

1/32nd 164

1/18th 1

Motor bike 1

Lay buy 1

338 ouch :D

DSC04485_zps72455e7e.jpg

My Plafit collection

DSC04511_zps5421a6fe.jpg

Cheers Jimmy

• Upvote 1

Hi Pete

One of our locals is also a ex Speedway tragic like me & he does the bodies which are the Flexi car ones with the side pods & roof removed,He's also vac formed the exhaust pipes but I haven't got around to fitting them as yet.

Tupperware Greg got the Pro track rears from Hornsby but are a bit too grippy for my track & Dapto but the harder compound Pro track seem a little bit better & MJK's are OK to give them a bit more slide.

Cheers Jimmy