Big Phil'S Memorial Raceway

Sunny Coast Slotter

Hi All

I have changed tack after trawling through these very informative pages in regards to my new track.

Back in the day a group of my workmates had a once a week slottie race meet at a 8 laner in Annerley , Brisbane. The track was huge and we had a ball. The competitive nature of some of the boys was high but all in good fun.

Now I want a 3 lane "Mini King" track! The original idea of a 3 laner with squeezes etc was cool but after seeing some of the awesome CNC routered tracks in these pages I have descided thats me.

I have drwn up a CAD drawing of my design and want to price the CNC work.

Can anyone guide me as to what is required for the CNC file?

Also can anyone explain how to measure the poly line I have drawn for my lane lenght?

Your help is appreciated.

P.S. Feel free to comment on my design. Aprox 6 mt x 2 mt 3 lans 100mm lane spacing with 100 mm gutters.

Cheers Joe3king.jpg

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

Joe,

Nice track what program did you draw your track with I use http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/ for all my drawings.

When I did mine I made up 3600 x 1800 boxes this was the size of the table on the CNC router that we used you should check with the firm doing the routing to there machine size. I then broke the track down to fit into the boxes trying to get as many of the joins on to straights also draw some track joiners or any other parts that will fit in the left over space to save some work & waste. Check with the routing firm what size cutter they will use mine was done with a 9.5mm compression cutter so the outside required an tool path 4.75mm larger than finished size because the tool offset function was not working on the new machine we used, the slot required a 4.25mm tool offset for the 19mm braid rebate. Also make sure the drawing unit are all clockwise or CCW don't mix them up It may cause some parts to be under size if the programmer doesn't spot it when doing the tool offset in the program & make sure you don't have any open ends on your lines. You can then save the drawing as a DXF file & email them to the firm doing the job they can quote straight from this.

Cheers Jason.

Hi Joe,

Do as much of the design work as possible to save money on programming. I cut my drawings into sections that fit into the sheet sizes that my CNC guy can handle then save them as DXF files. I do the sheet layouts for multiple pieces too where required.

After cutting into pieces I run the slots about 10 mm past the end of the piece so the cutting of the slots starts and ends off the track piece. This may also help the guy doing the program. Also don't have any groupings in your drawings, explode everything.

I use a program called Autosketch which is a 2D Cad program from the Autocad people, it's perfect for this stuff. I can do a join on a bunch of connected lines and then look at the properties of the joined line to get the length. I don't use polylines unless I have to.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Joe,

Don't forget to allow space for fences between the straights.

100mm gutters are fine for 1/32 scale but 125mm is better if you want to be able to run 1/24 scale cars.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Many thanks Jason and Garry for the info.

Jason I used CMS intelliCAD. I have had it for ever, in another life I was a commercial kitchen/bar builder and used it for all my drawings.

What joining pieces did you make Jason? This is something I havent thought of.

Garry I just had a look at your track and thats the style I want to do. Are all of your legs the same? I see they look like they are adjustable.

again Thanks for your help guys

Cheers Joe

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Just thought i would update my progress on Big Phil's Memorial Raceway.

After discussing the style of track with my mates (and a look at tracks on old slot racer) we descided to go down the "road"style track with lots of technical corners, long straights and racing line squeezes. Plenty of elevation too. I have attached a drawing, let me have your thoughts on the layout please.

The shed is finished and floor has been sealed with a clear product and looks good.

I have ordered the copper tape and have a mate who can print out my layout full size!! The idea is to transfer the layout to the MDF for routing. Will post pix as I go.

To make me even more motivated I bought some new cars from Armchair Racer.

a brief description of the circuit is , Start Finish line is midway along short straight. Direction is clockwise to up hill rh sweeper along back straight climbing to the highest point of the track(im wanting about 600mm) The rh corner to the "terrace" that will drop down through a series of switch back corners. Over the bridge to hairpin, along straight to under bridge and 300mm rad turn to finish.

Cheers Joebigphilsmemorialraceway_zps30c36703.jpg

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

Now that is an awesome design

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

IMHO that's not going to much fun to race on sorry, corners look way to small in radius to handle a car.

And too many squeeze sections, what happened to the layout in your first post? That looked great..

Would have been better to add some squeeze sections to that one..

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Listen to Dave. From what I can tell it seems that ALL your corners are squeezes. This will become incredibly frustrating for drivers. A track is better when it has a flow about it rather than a lot of stop start sections. Anyway, thats my $0.64 worth!

Ditto the above posts, it will be Avery frustrating track to try and race on,virtually no passing, it willbe good for the suppliers as I can see a lot a car damage..

IMO you should try and find a club track somewhere and go along and have a look at a race night.

Thanks for the feed back gents.

I do like the first track on this post.

My thoughts were that the squeezes made for a more realistic drive, but the stop start and possible constant de slotting would be a pain in the proverbial!

one question, should I increase the outside gutter and shrink the inside one?

again your feedback is totally appreciated

Cheers Joe

3king.jpg

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

Joe, inner loop makes good use of space, but a couple of thoughts.

Make sure short people can reach to marshal that inner set of lanes, or it will drive you crazy.

Ditto the guy above who suggested you go try some racing on exising track/raceway, as that may alter your thoughts on layout.

Try and avoid all fixed radious curves. - Maybe you have variety,but it doesn't show in the small CAD file viewing. Also, a bit of "weave" in straights doesn't cause de-slots, but does look interesting and feel visually less terile to drive.

Check my track in my sig. file. I have a couple of small meanders at the end straights and the inside straignt, and the only corner on the track which has a fixed radius turn is the left hand front end by the main straight.

ps. Length of striaght or track length often seems to be a priority when designing first track. After a while you realise, a bit less running length means you are closer together on average, more dices, more fun. Nothing worse than driving against similar speed guys who are all half a lap away from you, and you never see tham again in a heat unless someone deslots.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Joe,

Its not to different to how I built mine, depending on where you put your driver stations marshalling could be a minor issue. I find it hard to marshal in the S area of my track on the rare occasion we have an "off" in that area. Having said that its a very competitive track and produces some good racing.

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5105-snake-valley-raceway/page__view__findpost__p__54181

Regards

Rob

I like your layout in post #14, but would put some esses in the top short straight just after the 180 degree corner to give some interest and variety, and it also adds to the fun, good esses are fun to drive.

Aahh the joys of trying to get your first routed track right the first time. But you are doing the right thing by sounding out others first.

Normal people worry me

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have the plan!

after taking on the comments from my fellow slotters as well as having another look at the awesome tracks posted in this forum, this is the one.

Thanks to those who have given me guidance with the CAD program.

I have purchased some bits and pieces and am looking forward to getting a start on it this week some time. I will use copper tape as my last track was the same and we had no dramas with it.

My thoughts for drivers stations was to have 3 along the curved straight(?).

Cheers Joe

theone_zpsa20f814b.jpg

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld

Looks like an interesting track...

Couple of questions...

1. What direction will it be run (i.e. left to right on the curved straight)
  2. At the crossovers, which sections will be raised / lowered...
  3. Have you allowed enough room for drifting on the outsides of the corners? Looks a bit tight on the right...

This will affect driver positions...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Now that's much better!!!

I'd have the drivers stations on the front straight.. That way you will only need 3 marshals.

1 for the back sweeper and bends in the middle of the track and 1 Marshall at each end.

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

1. What direction will it be run (i.e. left to right on the curved straight) Left to right direction. was thinking of bi directional though.
  2. At the crossovers, which sections will be raised / lowered...the "inner loop" will be under. coming off the outer loop the short straight will go over.
  3. Have you allowed enough room for drifting on the outsides of the corners? Looks a bit tight on the right... have allowed 100mm all round.

Now that's much better!!! yes i do like it much more now!
    I'd have the drivers stations on the front straight.. That way you will only need 3 marshals.
    1 for the back sweeper and bends in the middle of the track and 1 Marshall at each end.
    problem solved, drivers stations on straight straight!! Thanks for the feed back gents.!

Joe

Sunny Coast Qld