Best Way To "Nail Down" New Scalextric Digital Track.

ToddsPartyHirePerth

Hi,

I just bought a new 6 car powerbase Scalextric set with pit lane game & lap timer.

My first thoughts:

1. The "bridge pylons" are rubbish. They don't seem to even fit into the track. Looks like I'll be cutting some blocks of wood to suit.

2. The lap timer interface and user guide is infuriating. I've been using computers for 30 years, but can't yet figure out how to get the pacer cars activated.

Anyway, my real concern is this:

What's the best way to fix the track to the sheet of MDF without resorting to liquid nails?

Some sort of self tapper with clip arrangement that won't affect racing and I can purchase at Bunnings would be best.

I need to be able to store & carry the track on it's side.

Todd

Havnt secured mine but this is how I will be planning to hold down the track.http://www.scalextric.com/shop/track/accessories/c8232-track-fixing-side-clips/

They slip in the little slot on the side of the track at the joint. Hope that makes sense. My track will be folded up against the wall so I am hoping that this is the way to go. I have also read that someone used paddlepop sticks instead and drilled little holes in the stick and screwed down.

I have used the scalex side clips but had trouble fitting the scalex borders. Now use small nails/pins at each join. I saw a thread recently where smallcircular wooden dowls were placed where the "bridge pylons" fit and small pins were nailed thru this.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Yes the guide is "difficult". Yes Scalextric should have gone with a proper colour dot matrix screen as we wanted. So it can be quite a beast to get around.

Luckily one of the early adopters Mr Flippant put together a series of videos that take you through everything you need to know:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49996

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

I have used the scalex side clips but had trouble fitting the scalex borders. Now use small nails/pins at each join. I saw a thread recently where smallcircular wooden dowls were placed where the "bridge pylons" fit and small pins were nailed thru this.

thanks Cartdriver.

Where exactly did the nails go? between the join? on the outside?

did your nails have a large head or did they hold down A separate plate or something?

Yes the guide is "difficult". Yes Scalextric should have gone with a proper colour dot matrix screen as we wanted. So it can be quite a beast to get around.

Luckily one of the early adopters Mr Flippant put together a series of videos that take you through everything you need to know:

http://www.slotforum...showtopic=49996

Even keeping the LCD screen, there is a lot better ways of designing a user interface.

A simple layered menu like the old Nokia phones would have worked.

Small pin head nails. I place a car on the track and place the nail between rail and tyre. Don't hit too nail far down otherwise this willcreate an indentation in track.Use a pinhead hammer.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

My Scaley track, where needed, is pinned down with small flat head nails.

Mainly used where the track sections wanted to create their own heights/levels between joints and needed to be taught a lesson. Sorted them out, quick smart.

I've no problem with a gyprock screw here and there either. Just a dob of black, if you are fussy, and no one will see them, unless you tell them they are there.

The whole track needs to be on a very stable back-board/table to start with.

Cheers

K

"S#!t Happens"

• 2 months later...

For more information and ideas, there is another thread on this topic... http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15907-fixing-plastic-track-down/

This guy has a solution to the borders issue...

http://www.askthemec...k-to-board.html

Quote: We found that the digital track is slightly thicker than a standard piece of track, so it was necessary to use packing under the clip (see below) on these sections. It was also found that it was easier to cut the border around the clip, this is then covered by the rumble strip.

track-fixing-clips.JPG