Sign in to follow this  
toast

Cleaning Motors

Hi all

When i did rc racing i used to clean out the sealed motors , have been told the same with slot cars , but well its all glued in and axle and rims , so dunking the motor is that going to ruin the tyres etc

you would think after 5 yrs in this sport would know , but well ya keep on learning in this game

cheers

toast

I just squirt a bit of lighter fluid into them, shake, run on the test bench. Flushes the comm. area, hardens and glazes the brushes - apparently.

The power supply on my bench shows current consumption, and I invariably notice it drops, motors rev higher and smoother after one or two "squirt and shake"

For a fully sealed motor, like an ff050, you could try drilling holes top and bottom, but risk having some filings go inside the motor, so stick a strong magnet on the outside of the case, right beside the drill bit, and go slow..... but if any filings go in, and get in the gap between armature and motor magnets, you may be er . . . . . TOAST

- sorry, couldn't resist..... :lol:

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

The motor runs smoother when you squirt lighter fluid in it because it is oil based, thats why lighters can stay a light :D

Hmmm, I've got a couple of motors that have gone off song. I'll try this myself. Thanks

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

Laterly Ive been squiting WD40 in the com area and even straight into the arm and filling the motor,give it a peaking and they go way better than before.Im sure this prob isnt supposed to be done but it works on all my old motors.I had a mate that used to do it before every race with his 16d and he allways had one of the fastest motors on the track.

Nulon Start Ya Bastard is a non oil ether and we use it to clean the brush dust from our Motors and have dont so for years, always good to re oil the bearings afterwards