Nsw 1/24 Scaleauto State Endurance Championships

Guest jazzbell

Guest jazzbell

Hi Guys

This enduro is as expected getting a lot of interest in all those that love the Scaleauto concept of racing with slot cars with equal performance.

It would be a shame to limit the entries to 8 teams & with still a little time up our sleeves I was wondering if we could ask James if we could also hire the big track as well.

Personally I think we need to try and involve more of the average club racer in a big event like this as the Scaleauto are the next big thing in slot racing, limiting entries is not sending the right message & promoting the hobby the way I think it should be.

Looking forward to comments on these subjects.

Cheers Jimmy :D

Sorry Jimmy the event is being promoted as an 8hr enduro and it's going to stay an 8 hr enduro.

I know we could split the differance between 2 tracks but the hole idea is 20 to 15 minutes of driving per team member know less.

The problem i face now is telling people they can't race and i hate it. I just had know idea this event was going to pull this sort of response.

At this stage the teams are full and i'm sorry to the guy's that have missed out that would like to race.

We all can say and we know this has attracted the cream of the crop you can say,in a nut shell just about all the top slot racers in one venue will be their from around Australia.

After this event at Hornsby their will be more to come in 2013 and we could look into the by round

at the next venue depending on numbers.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Must agree with Shane. However, any drivers (especially drivers not racing Scale Auto at the moment, but wanting to find out what great class this is) should contact the entered teams and try to get themselves a drive. Remember teams can have up to 4 guys in the teams - 15 minutes per driver per lane.

I guess if the organisers want to, the teams could become 6 driver teams too (10 minutes per driver per lane, or 20 minutes per driver on four lanes), depending on the interest levels - but it must stay an 8 hour with 8 teams otherwise we will never finish the event over a normal weekend. Which afterall, is one of the great attractions of this event.

Again I suggest to the organisers that it might be an idea to have the entry fees paid in advance - we don't want teams and drivers pulling out willy-nilly just before the event, leaving interested drivers without a chance to enter (and/or having to forego a cheap flight opportunity).....just my2c!!!

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Guest jazzbell

Sorry Jan the Enduro is staying as is with the team numbers,3 to 4 drivers per team,20 to 15 minutes of driving for each member depending on the number of drivers in your team.

The last team is in now,Armchair racer. Armchair wanted to fill 2 teams but they understand the last spot was saved for them and know room for a second team.

As the guy's don't race the scaleauto i've offered to build their race car for them.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Edited by jazzbell

Hi Rhythm Willie. This is not a class the HSC locals run and other than the Dapto boys, Sydney Metro tracks hav'nt (yet) seen the magic Scaleauto racing produces. Shane is building a car for the Armchair Team, I'm supplying practise and race cars for 3 HSC racers I am teaming up with and both Shane and Jans teams are having HSC drivers with them... Considering Scalauto was not even on the Hornsby radar 2 weeks ago i'm really excited to have so many HSC guys on board. Any interstate team "a man down" getting close to the event should contact James who is already "head hunting" to see which locals want a drive..

On another note I would also like to add my support to Shanes proposed 2013 rules.. I just does'nt get any simpler so that in itself will help get more "newbies" racing this class

If this racing is getting so popular and people are prepared to travel, why dont you run it several times, but run heats and then a final, say one month apart, that way you could get 16 or 24 teams and the best 8 in a final show down

just a thought

happy racing B)

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I know where you are coming from Paul but most of us are lucky if can get away for Interstate events more than a few times a year.

But, following on what you propose, perhaps each state should have a Scaleauto Enduro series. The winners, or place getting Teams then "qualify" for representing the State or club they come from. These Teams would then have first preference for an event like the Hornsby 8 hour National event.

Edited by axman

What are we trying to achieve here?

If the goal in promoting these events is to get more people into racing (and paying for tracks) then anything that focuses on the elite end is not good. There must be opportunities to race with the good guys, all the good guys, or the small elite group will stay that way, small.

The response to the Hornsby race was underestimated and perhaps with hindsight the Adelaide race gave us a clue that this might happen.

I think Shane is right to keep the event as advertised but it would be a nice gesture if all the teams volunteered to take on extra members, and not just the best drivers.

Perhaps in future an 8 hour race could be advertised as "Heat Length Dependant on Entries". Then if you have 12 entries you run it Round Robin and have 40 minute heats instead of 60. You could set a limit of 16 entries so the minimum heat length is 30 minutes.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Perhaps in future an 8 hour race could be advertised as "Heat Length Dependant on Entries". Then if you have 12 entries you run it Round Robin and have 40 minute heats instead of 60. You could set a limit of 16 entries so the minimum heat length is 30 minutes.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

I'm glad you brought up the round robin suggestion Gary, I have been wanting to post that idea but have been biting my tongue.

16 teams over 8 hours is still a lot of track time and could really see this class of racing skyrocket in popularity. How cool would it be to have that many people under one roof racing these cars.

Something to keep in mind for future events.

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Just seemed to me that a lot of the teams were almost prebooked for the event before some people had time to organise anything especially if they weren't quick enough to see it here.

I would have thought that events such as this were advertised and then format decided once all entries were in by a deadline.

I think you and Jan's promotion of Scaleauto is opening up a can of worms...but in a good way.

I don't think these posts are being critical, just exploring ways of getting more people racing.

Run Hornsby as planned, digest the suggestions and keep moving on to the next event...your doing a great job. Your biggest problem moving forward is finding places for all the drivers wanting to race, which I think is fantastic.

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

forum

a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine or website

a public meeting place for open discussion

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Shane, not criticising anyone, you do a great job in promoting races and the sport, I'm just an old fart "spitting the dummy" cos I did'nt get the time to organise a team and throwing some suggestions around for the future.

I am sure the event will be a great success.

Edited by Rhythm Willie

Ok,

I don't think Shane is concerned about comments to be honest, only that this event is organised

And we'll on its way to being a big feature for next years racing..

Organising for future events can be started up somewhere else... As stated already.

Either way if there's that many interested party's there's no commercial facility that would be able to handle them..

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Perhaps to Try and 'Clear Up' one Particular Aspect contained in a Few of the more recent 'posts', regarding running the event "Round Robin",....

Well,..(with regard to the theoretical 'Interest' shown), Would have been good,...BUT !!,.....Unfortunately that is NOT actually Possible, currently at HSC.

So I guess the Best one can say, (like Maxwell Smart), is,..."Sorry about that Cheif",.... :):D:lol:

Just to Help Clear the situation up, regarding Why a Round Robbin is Not being 'Run'.

In fact I'm surprised you didn't mention it Gary,.. :P;)

Cheers

:)

Also,..having 'chatted' with and mentioned 'This' Event last night at the first part of the NSW Plafit State Championships,..

I tried,..but Didn't manage to induce Dale into 'considering' the Event as a possibility, (which is a Shame', as Old 'Softly, Softly, Catchy Monkey Dale,..is a Very Good driver).

Although I am unaware of whether he Is aware of the event, but also (partly due to his health), I doubt Bevan would be interested,....BUT,..both Young Stephanie and Brad suggested they could well be interested, (Brad, dependant on his Work schedule), and am 'unsure' about Jake.

I'll check with Wayne and James and the other racers again tomorrow and see if I can suggest who else may be available from HSC for those teams interested.

Thanks Stoo for shaking down the talent.. Now, Decisions, decissions.. What Scaleauto will work best a HSC?

We've run these on the Thunderbird track which is only marginally faster than the Qld "garage" tracks. Hornsby is a faster flowing track with large radius turns. Having never driven a Scaleauto on a big track I was "itching" to try mine on the Plafits masters track but: A. Could'nt get it past Scrutineering. B. Werner was always watching. C. Out of respect to Plafit. D. Even by my low standards it would have been in bad taste.

So, Maybe the big Jag.. its got the longest wheelbase.. or perhaps the Porsche, its the lightest body. Anybody out there had one at HSC yet?

Edited by axman

What Scaleauto will work best a HSC?

So, Maybe the big Jag.. its got the longest wheelbase.. or perhaps the Porsche, its the lightest body. Anybody out there had one at HSC yet?

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm sure Jimmy and Cam will be testing soon and maybe they can pass on some info!! ; ^ ) hopefully?

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Looks like a winner. Unfortunately i wasnt able to commit to the dates but as time gets closer and i can make it maybe there will be a dropout somewhere.

As for the rules the simpler the better and i have spoken to Shane at length about this and come to the conclusion that he is on the right track. A fixed bodyweight means the lighter bodied cars add weight down low in the body helping them and the heavier bodies have a bigger footprint net result equals not much. A well setup car driven well will be the determining factor not the lid.

The major appeal of this class is its simplicity and evenness. I really think it will be the dominant entry at any race meet.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

As for the rules the simpler the better and i have spoken to Shane at length about this and come to the conclusion that he is on the right track. A fixed bodyweight means the lighter bodied cars add weight down low in the body helping them and the heavier bodies have a bigger footprint net result equals not much. A well setup car driven well will be the determining factor not the lid.

The major appeal of this class is its simplicity and evenness. I really think it will be the dominant entry at any race meet.

Hi Trevor and others,

Please can we keep these threads separate. Let' s discuss the NSW enduro here and the rules on the other thread.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

JanR

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

'Sammi' quote - I am confused as to which track it will be run on, pics anyone?

'Cam" quote - Which direction will cars run?

Track is run clockwise - Cars pass drivers right to left. The same way as the Retro's and Plafit CanAm's normally race.

The track is the Johnson Flat track - only track I know of with "back to front" wiring so you will have to swap your lead wires.

Sammi here's a pic of the Small track at Hornsby that I think the enduro will be run on.

The normal direction for 1/24th scale cars is clockwise,so if that is the direction chosen lead wires will need to be swapped.

Either direction is good & race surface is very smooth so tyre wear will be minimal.

HornsbyAPC-1.jpg

Cheers Jimmy

To finsh first,first you gotta finish