neil

Thought I'd post some pics of the build,, most pics are old new's as nothing new happens here in a hurry,,,

& this build so far has been like "2 steps forward ,,1 step back" ,, any way here it goes & I'LL try to take better & more pics from here in.

a lot of plans/ thoughts were drawn up on paper,,, thinking back,, a lot of time wasted,,, thew only concept to the plan that remained thru-out the whole planning was the Speedway track with an infeild curcuit.

theplan001.jpg

From paper plan to 1:1,,,, a lot of moving , adjusting, modifying & rectifying of origanal plans were made before I finaly setled on the track that I have here marked out on the table,,, a lot more to come before the track is finnished..

One of the main themes with this build was to have the impression that the cars were driving a proper racing line as apposed to the conventional plastic track that has the guide slot running parralell to the track edge.... Here the inside lane is running over the planned "rumble strip"

sept2012012.jpg

After all the planning,,, routing,,, painting,,,braiding,,& this time puting the fence in place before finnishing the powering,, I end up with the track here... Ussing the pre-planned space & a bit more,, its set on a table of 2.4 x 2.1 mtr..

DSCF1216640x480.jpg

this corners inside lane,,, proved to be very challenging to my patience,, from the moment that I had drawn this corner I was thinking that it was going to be troublesome,, it was'nt so much undriveble,, it was that the car did'nt look right as it rounded through the tight corner..

DSCF1205640x480.jpg

Following outside track clock/wise ,,,,,,,again showing how I tried to work the slot/grooves to simulate a proper racing line,,, theses few shots show more how the outer racing line will run close up to fence on every exit,, while the inside lane cuts into the corner mid turn ... At first when driving the outer lane I was thinking 'what have I done??",,, but now used to it ,,, I've acheived the very affect I was after,,,, a track that requires more control in keeping the cars fast & off the fence

DSCF1206640x480.jpgDSCF1207640x480.jpgDSCF1208640x480.jpgDSCF1209640x480.jpgDSCF1209640x480.jpgDSCF1210640x480.jpgDSCF1212640x480.jpg

Back to the infeild,,, not much to show in the infeild course,, as yet..

DSCF1214640x480.jpg

That bloody corner.... here I make my first atempt in rectifying a very shar turn,,, decided to only rework the inner lane so I can keep with the pre marked race course,,, in the process I created a squeeze of lanes which I was never been fond of,, & this will only prove further..

010912netballmix001.jpg

a pic before it was braided,,, yep,,, I persisted in braiding it,, to get the track running again & play with my cars.

Every time I drove the inside lane,, the more I knew I had to rework this corner... ,,,,to this I'd be drivin with Kev on the other lane,, & prev. I'd ask Kev " what do you think of the corner??",,& he'd reply "its good ,,leave it..",,,,,, So I'd stop my car in the corner & he'd hit it,,, so I would ask again,,,, Did this several times to reassure myself that this corner needed reworking

010912netballmix004.jpg

"What do you think of the corner now??",,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Yep,, did'nt take long before I had mutual agreement to rework the corner,, he he he.

tobesoughted040.jpg

Not much has happened in a hurry since,,, I've repainted & done some more fencing,,, but nothing worth showing as yet

tobesoughted044.jpg

Looking good, some spots are super close to the fence and look a bit tricky. I tried to rout a race line through my track but in the end I figured the cars would hit the fence on the exit so Ive ended up with the uniform plastic look I was trying to avoid. Its very hard to achieve with limited space. Looks like a fun track to drive, keep the pics of progress coming.

definately is a fun track to drive,,, even better now I've redone the surface in ferodore,, in the process now of placing more fencing around the track... as for the trickiness,, were the cars come close to the fence is about the area you need to slow down anyways,, & also being pateint with the throtle on exit helps too.... makes me appretiate the better handling cars,,, but I still love driving the Revell stocker around

So as said earlier,,, nothing happens around here quikly,,, I blame the track solely... if I go out to tune "a" car,,, I end up playin with "all" the cars..... & If I go out to work on the track,,, I spend most the time thinking about it while I play with most of the cars :mellow: ,,,

Today,,,,I actually acheived a bit more of the fencing,,, took a few more,,,, & played wth most my cars :D

first up,,, a couple weeks back I aquired some Ferodore... Now I"m going to sound a teeny bit hypicritical,, but at first,, I actually thought this paint was nasty stuff for those that love their cars...

I did try my best to avoid it by first painting my track with the Dulux Suede,, toped with Cabots clear . But it seemed very slipery unless the cars were shod with good rubber.............. Second attempt I used the Dulux Suede again (no clear),, grip improved imediatly,, even for Standard tyres,,, though I mixed the suede with an undercoat to acheive diferent colours, which I think made the surface slowly wear,, this was evident by the cleaning of the tyres every 10 or 20 laps...... Another major problem that I was dealing with is the main road just out front which creates enough dust to be anoying to good laps & traction......... So on with the Ferodore,,, at first I was unsure whether to roll or brush,,, but with advice,, & a bit of logic that you can get a "rollered effect" over the "brushed finnish" but not vice versa,,, So I"ve brushed on the ferodore & BINGO :lol: ,,,,, problem solved ;) ,, now all cars run swweeeet..regardless of tyres..

FENCES001800x599.jpg

Another litle work to the powering that makes this track even sweeter to drive is the rotary dial with diodes soldered to it to lessen the power B) ......The main power is set @ 13v (I think) & each position is an extra diode the power is passed through 10 in total,,= 6v (I think)...... These are @ both drivers Stn.s & make it simple to race either diferent brand cars on par,,, turn it down for the kidies,, or even make those grunty beast powered more graceful to drive through this track.. ;)

301012mix045.jpg

Now to the fence....... Do you ever get an idea on how to acheive something,,, it all seem s good,,, you can vision the result so clear you can almost touch it,,, & more importantly it gonig to be simple & quik.... not me.... today I worked on the inner fence to the outer track,,,,, then played with some cars :D .

FENCES002800x599.jpg

,,,,, then played with some cars :D .

My lotus just behind the fence.. first being from the drivers Stn.

FENCES008800x764.jpgFENCES009800x744.jpgFENCES010800x657.jpg

& more from the drivers Stn.

SCX F1FENCES015800x599.jpg

Slotit ChappyFENCES011800x600.jpg

& more....FENCES012800x600.jpgFENCES013800x600.jpgFENCES016800x588.jpg

Edited by neil

Good job Neil. With all the paint you've put on , the timber will never break up ;) . The pic showing the track upright , gives you an illusion that the inside lane runs very close to the fencing . Other wise for a small circuit ,it looks ok. Just a bit of advice ,dont put to much bog in your track as some may say it resembles a two lane rally track :lol: . By the way I notice you have 2 white lanes, would make for interesting racing .

Cheers Craig

Morning John

Edited by teamredracing

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since of done anyting worth noting,,,. So over the Xmas/NYears break I've been able to get into what I thought was going to be daunting But turned out fairly simple,,,,,,,,,The instalation of the infared lights & sensors to run with the Race Co-ordinater,,,, Thanks to the Sales team @ Livo. Jaycar & members of this Forum.

The Tempoary light bridge

sort045800x600.jpg

Now we need to keep our eyes on the monitor,, this also meant that we had to relocate the power Stn. & plugs,,Which was situated on the side of the track,,,This alone was a fairly simple,,

sort049800x600.jpg

Next up,, The long awaited wire fence,,,,, This is simply "Gutter Guard" purchased from Bunning's,, not overly fussed on the colour,, though the Brown is more stronger than the Black that Is availible... but great for those nephews,, Kids,, & adult beer guts that'll push aganst it..

sort052800x600.jpgsort054800x600.jpgsort061800x600.jpgsort060800x600.jpg

Still have more features to install to the track electrics

Neil, be proud. This one looks like it could be a keeper for awhile.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Ahhh the pegs ???

You got me... thats the other ,,,, "maybe next / I'll get to it /after I fix our race cars, and what ever else my brain may randomly flicks to." ,,project... Hangin the clothes out..

Embs...

Not a day goes by without me thinking ,, "man I want to start a new track"... though truthfully I do enjoy this track,, 1 more wish for this is to join the 2 infeild entries as to have the option of running the complete "D",,, Though I'm a litle hesitant,, in fear of the results of my work.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else here have a problem with over thinking & not acheivin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nearly everyday I'll come home & pull down the track,,,look at it,,,& think,,, then think some more,,,, do a lap or 2 with some cars & then think even more..... then the next day,,,, I'll do the same again thinking totally diferent...... Can't tell you how many times of placed a wall,,, did a lap or 2 & then remove it,,, only to move it a cm. or so...... Then to paint,,, & paint ,,, & repaint track sides to acheive the orig. effect I was after from the start,,,

Well as I stated in earlier post building this track is like "2 steps forward,,1 step back",,,,,,, last few days I've been adding to the fences,, making them double side as aposed to what they were originaly with tyre wall look-alike on oppisite side... I think the walls look a whole lot neater this way & still can be decorated with Tyre walls.. & today I took to the brushes again to neaten up the track surface & define the racing line a litle more....

doubled walls

fence003800x600.jpgfence002800x600.jpgfence004800x600.jpg

here sits the temporay light bridge,, soon to be replaced by a building with a walk way to the drivers podium/reception stand,,, all to easy to easy to imagine <_<

fence007800x600.jpg

& here is were I'mplanning to add some green to the area,,, fenced in area will contain Palm trees,,,,, can you imagine it too :huh:

fence008800x600.jpg

all too easy to think what I would like to acheive,,, but very hard to acheive before I rethink,,, :mellow:

Edited by neil

thought I'd take a vissit to bunnings this arvo,,,,,,,, the track is in need of some colour,,,, & seeing that I'm happy with "most"/( not all ) of the fence position's I can start to lay some colour... so I'm drive'n up thinking of getin the usuall red / white maybe some blue,,, get there look at the colours(pre made),, look at the prices :mellow: ,,,, at the colours again,,,,, at the prices again,, nothins chang'in,,,,, so I walk to the next isle to check out the art brushes,,??,,most out of stock,,,,, back around to the paints,,, & look some more,, at the prices,,,,,,,,,,, I realy hate spendin money,,,,,,,,. but then I thought,,, I'll go check out the returns table,,( have scored a few good mixes here in the past),,,,, & there it was,,, $15. for a litre :) ,,, a light blue,,, nothing near what I had intended,,, but it does look good,,, the $15. sign that is............. So back home & started laying the paint where I'm fairly sure it'll stay.......... bought a Sun-rise yellow as well,,,,, just gotta work out where to aply it with out looking sickly...

paint001800x600.jpg

Painted some more around the track,,, & somethng thats becoming anoying is the litle beeds from under the tape,,, pushing tape down & peeling as soon as but still doesnt stop it...

So thought of buying some pin striping to seperate the blue from the track,,, & also cover the bleeding,,,,,,,,what have got to loose..... first thought & stop,,,Supercheap,,, look around breifly & asked the paint sales assistant,,,, "mate,, U guys got any pinstripe'n??",,, .

to which he replies,,,, " nah mate,, have'nt seen that in years,, No one uses that stuff anymore,,Pinstripe'n is all done by hand & brush these days": (his reply shortened)

& I'm now thinkin, this guy watches to much Pimp My Ride tv or has definately misunderstood what I'm after... so I ask,,,"do you know any where local that I could find some Pinstriping "tape"???

& again replying from his knoledge of the shows I've only just seen to,,,"no"..

Oh well trip down to the shop is not totaly wasted,,, a few stores down is Repco,,,, I walk in & check out their paint section,,, & now I'm thinkin the last guy is probably right,,, ust as I was just about to ask the Repco sales clerk the same question ,,the Dollar basket caches my eye,,,... First thing I see,,,, pinstriping,,you bloody ripper!!,,, all they had was single or double gold,or double white,,,, but hey,,,, $1. So I bought the last 5 rolls,,50mtrs.

So I've trialed this one corner first,,, did'nt look bad at first but now loking at ths pic.,,,,????,,,, I don't know

pinstripe015.jpgpinstripe013.jpg

when veiwing this on the track (real life) the gold doe'nt glare like in the picspinstripe022.jpg

did look different,,,,, though I just went & pulled it up..... As bad as my modeling skills are,, just didnt look like the effect I'm trying to acheive.....

plus.......................... It did hold ok to the waterbased paint,,,,,,,,,, but simply fell off the ferrodore

Know what you mean about over thinking - I built a railroad track, started all flat on the board, decided I wanted elevation - elevated it and then tried this and that and then I discovered that 1/32 cars actually looked like real cars with decent performance so the train got pulled down and the slot car track got built. I um'd and ahh'd about a design and chose one then spent 3 years thinking I should have chosen the other one. So decided to build a new track. i then spent a fair bit of time thinking about building a new track - drew pictures, looked up ideas, read track build threads etc etc ....

well finally today after more than 12 months of thinking and over thinking and planning and dreaming we have route the first half of my new track. The best of the over thinking for me - is I have taken the space I have and will put in a slot car track and a railroad track - slot car track my brother and I designed - railroad track I am building a plan out of Model Railroader magazine.

cheers

DM

This is a fantastic track, it has the full feel of a speedway, great work.

I can't quite make out what you have used as the barrier fencing, I'd like to steal your idea if that's OK, they look awesome, a hell of a lot better than my expansion foam.

Good work bloke and fast work too considering the effort your putting in.