Sign in to follow this  
toast

Magnets

Hi all

Having competed at the nationals here in South Aust , we entered the magnet class, and well am wondering how or can you make to the table so that we can measure the down force from magnets , any help ??

Hi toast,

Best advice I can offer is to use the magnets on the fridge not the slot cars.

Less wear and tear on cars, more realistic driving, and less marshalling hassles such as the downforce parity you seek.

There are also instructions for making one on a thread here somewhere.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Guest jazzbell

Hi toast,

Best advice I can offer is to use the magnets on the fridge not the slot cars.

Toast is only asking the question about trying to read downforce . He races at thunderbirds where it is No magnet racing................Nationals 1 magnet class out of 11,and yes Toast the 1 mag class will be in the nationals at Victoria in 2013.

Toast the magnet marshall that mobbzee has shown a link to is the number 1 tool for reading the downforce if you choose to play with different magnets.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

I read recently that Magnet Marshalls are currently not being manufactured so you would need to pick one up on ebay or the like.

I actually followed the thread Mobbzee posted above and built one years ago and it works fine (still use it and it only cost $15). I actually compared it to a Magnet Marshall once and the downforce readings were about 10 grams out but it doesn't really matter as long as you test all the cars on the same measuring device the results will be relative.

Cheers

Phil

They have one of those at red racer. It works good and it's amazing how a slightly different magnet makes a difference.

regards, Ricky

I have one I could flog off if you get stuck. I haven't used it in about 3 years......

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC