Tinting Or Covering Ferodore

neil

I picked up some Ferodore (Thanks Camber) to redo my track racing surface for the third & hopefully final time..

Due to my track being out under carport, its constantly hit with the dusty conditions the road can offer,,, So plan is to aply the ferrodore by roller giving me a surface a litle more coarse than ninco & SCX combined..

Ferodore is the Black type and I'm hopin that I could change the shade of the paint OR surface for diferent parts of the track.

1st Q. is can I change the black ferodore to a concrete looking colour???

2nd Q. knowing the above mentioned could lead to paint wastage,,, Would it be easier to cover the laid Black ferodre in a colour to liking,,knowowing that the tips of the rough surface would eventually wear back to black,,, though this could be a good look...

I've prolly aswered my own Q. ..... though has anyone tried or played with above???

IMO rolling Ferrodor it will give it less grip as a roller gives a more rounded "orange peel" finish. Then tyres only touch the peaks of the orange peel. Brush with a good quality 63mm brush like a Monarch Advanced (at Bunnings or free if you drop by my place) To lighten (grey) the darker Ferrodor add some white oil based Semi Gloss enamel or white oil based undercoat. Honestly throw the roller to the shite house. 2nd option wouldn't work from my experience.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

The reason I'm after the textured surface is so the dust can fall below the tyre surface,,, though I really dont want a sufface that shreds tyres... The surface of SAR's (coarse) is what I feel I'm after to remidy the dust conditions..

,,,,,although driving today didnt seem to be a prob on the brushed Suede( un cleared),,, although the prob on this surface is the tyres are chipping away at the paint slowly but surely,, this is noticeble by after a several laps,,the tyres are covered in paint coloured dust,,, a quik clean of track & tyres result in instant faster L/times..

now reading what I've written,, maybe its the paint causing the majority of the aledged dust probs.

but again,,, I dont want to paint the track again & again ,,,,, one more time is enough,,,, I know what to expect with the rollered finnish,,,

maybe if there is a way of controling the degree of texture

,,,,,although driving today didnt seem to be a prob on the brushed Suede( un cleared),,, although the prob on this surface is the tyres are chipping away at the paint slowly but surely...

Surely this is more indicative of poor prep. The suede is a beautiful surface, cleared or un. Not had a chipping problem at all.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I did have problem with "chalkiness" of suede surface, but did apply it in mid winter - 10deg maximum in man cave

Chalkiness..... is the right word ,,,, same aplication,,,,,, ,, but starting to think because I've added a white sealer/undercoat to the suede.

Chalkiness..... is the right word ,,,, same aplication,,,,,, ,, but starting to think because I've added a white sealer/undercoat to the suede.

Undercoats are mainly chalk. Acts as an easy sanding filler. Have to be careful adding other paints to Suede or Tuscan (Tuscan is the exterior version) as they are very complex in the manufacturer.

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

Undercoats are mainly chalk. Acts as an easy sanding filler..

yes I rember you telling me this at Joe's "Batle of west" ,,, from this I started to figure,,,

next Q just to be sure,,,,,, before laying ferodore,,,I was going to sand the alredy painted surface only till the textured surface is smoothed,, will this be enough or should I sand back to the white sealer

next Q just to be sure,,,,,, before laying ferodore,,,I was going to sand the alredy painted surface only till the textured surface is smoothed,, will this be enough or should I sand back to the white sealer

Yes that will be sufficient