Round 12 - Rally Of Umbria 2012

Graham Lane

Welcome to Round 12 of the 2012 SCX World Rally Championship.

This round is being held in two locations; our local disused temporary church and a huge model shop.

Brama Model Shop is in Perugia, Umbria, right in the centre of Italy. This huge shop is divided into two parts, one for static models – war-gaming, trains, and general modelling, and one for dynamic models – RC cars, boats and planes and of course slot cars. Within the dynamic section there are two large slot car tracks - a fixed four-lane racing circuit and a two-lane rally circuit which is constantly altered. Both circuits are Ninco commercial track which is sold in the shop along with a wide range of slot cars, parts, and accessories.

The four-lane race track

P1090112.jpg

One half of the two-lane rally track

P1050908_zps0effece1.jpg

The other half

P1050907_zps63787b0a.jpg

Brama has been my local club for the past two years and runs a weekly club night alternating between the two tracks and various classes of car. There are also occasional championships and endurance races to add further interest. Recent improvements to the four-lane track have attracted some of the top drivers in Umbria racing alongside regular club members and the shop staff, making competition very fierce indeed.

For this event my own Castellano track is coming out of storage to be set up in our local disused temporary church.

Just to remind you, this is a view of Castellano

P1060551_zps55d04a58.jpg

But it's better to watch this video to see the whole track

There will be four stages. Stage One will take place on one lane of the four-lane circuit at Brama emulating a typical rally stage on an airfield. A regular lap takes about 10 seconds so this stage will be timed over 15 laps of the circuit. Being Ninco, this is a very grippy surface, fast and flat, with a combination of long straights and sweeping curves, together with a few obstacles added just for the event. It will favour some cars and not others and we hope it will mix the leaders up a bit.

Stage Two will be run on the Brama rally track. I have no idea how they will lay this out as they change it virtually every week, but it will be good.

Stage Three will be run on the two-lane section of the Castellano track. This is Scalextric Sport track painted with emulsion paint so quite slippery, and this will also be timed over 15 laps.

Finally, for Stage Four, the full Castellano track will be used. This incorporates the two-lane section from the previous stage but diverts off onto a single track of routed MDF which rambles through the Italian countryside, over a viaduct, through villages, up a mountainside, through a couple of tunnels and even over a railway track. It’s very challenging to drive and takes around 45 seconds to complete so this stage will be timed over just three laps. Cars will be flagged off the official starting ramp by a local celebrity and we hope to have the local TV station along to film it and interview the drivers. The event has been well-publicised and we expect quite a crowd of spectators in the shop.

We will be selecting our best rally drivers for this round so we expect some serious action. Cars will be run in random order to make it fair for all. We will also have a professional photographer taking a series of action shots as the event takes place.

All eyes will be on Team Umbria, which has four cars entered as Brama, Sciri, Conti-Rowland, and of course (your favourite) La Porta Verde!

We hope you will enjoy this round here in Umbria as much as we expect to.

Edited by Graham Lane

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alexis. The scheduled date for the Italian round is 7th October and, with the Danish and Norwegian rounds cancelled, they don't have to be back to Australia until the 15th December so...plenty of time! :P

I'll need an address to send them to in Oz.

Edited by Graham Lane

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

Bring It On!!

Because of a veritable smorgasbrod of problems, I never made it over to Grahams Mini Mille Miglia a couple of years ago, so It least the passion wagon is goint to be trundleing around the streets of Castellano.

Avanti, Avanti , Presto, Presto numero 33!

Edited by Splitrim

Whats not to like...........

OK, the stages at Brama are confirmed for October 3rd. We plan to run both on the same evening. The stages on my track will follow at the weekend of 6th and 7th.

Brama are setting up a completely new layout for the rally track, no surprises there. It will certainly be challenging and will combine the super-smooth Ninco ice sections together with the normal super-grippy Ninco black track with Carrera timing. We will time a lap and then work out how many laps will make up a three-minute run. As far as I know no changes have been made to the four-lane circuit but we will enhance it with a few buildings, etc. for the stage.

I'm still waiting for the cars to arrive but it should be imminent.

There will be plenty of photos, at least one for each car, and I will video the three podium cars on the climb up the side of the mountain. I will also give you three choices of where you want your car photographed shortly. These photos will be high quality-high resolution and include the SCX WRC billboard so you can print and frame if you wish as a memento of the event.

...this is the BIG one!

And for 'toy' read 'model'. This guy never gets it right.

...this is the BIG one!

Did you manage to finish the vineyard on the Castello track Graham?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Sadly, no, Embs. This summer has overtaken me. I thought things might be easier with Michael and Kate living with us but they had a baby five months ago and it's amazing how that encroaches (in the nicest possible way) on your life. Lots of family visits, people calling in, and loads of cucchi cucchi coos.

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

Bugger. Was going to get you to get some photos of my car at the vineyard. :) Never mind.

Hope you're looking forward to the whole circus.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It was never like that Snurfen. I'd never have built the viaduct or the railway section if it were the case. Sadly my track has been in storage since the last MMM and getting to it to build a vineyard has proved too difficult. I did hope t bring that section to my home and do it but it never happened. One day it will. Hopefully before wine goes out of fashion.

...this is the BIG one!

I One day it will. Hopefully before wine goes out of fashion.

You will have plenty of time. ;)

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

We will photograph each and every car in one of the following shots. Please let me know your name, car number and choice by PM.

The Mountain

Themountain.jpg

The Village

Thevillage.jpg

The Forest

TheForest2.jpg

The Start Ramp

StartRamp.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

Not yet. As soon as they do I'll post a message here. Let's hope it's before next Wednesday.

...this is the BIG one!

I'm getting a bit worried that they will turn up on time. Wednesday night will be the first Brama club night of the season so we expect a good turn out. However, if push comes to shove, then we could delay it to the following Wednesday.

We have decided to have three drivers for each stage (six in all) at the Brama stages. They will all be of the same standard, high, and alternate. I actually think this is fairer as using the same driver for all 42 cars means that he (or she) is very tired at the end and that isn't fair for the last few cars. There's also a bit of competition between the drivers to get a fast time.

...this is the BIG one!

Ah come on Graham ,I thought they breed them tuff over in Italy :P:D . Gaz and I did it over here :D . Then again we dont have to many friends :huh: . Good way to get a good night sleep after doing it :o:lol: .

Cheers Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

I saw you guys on video getting tired with aching fingers. Three hours continuous driving is too much, even for an Aussie. At my age I'm knackered after a three minute race! :wacko:

...this is the BIG one!

I've had just four requests for the choice of location for photgraphing your cars, and each one is different! If you don't make a choice, I'll do it for you. No problem.

...this is the BIG one!