South Australian 1/24 Scaleauto Endurance Championships

Guest jazzbell

.........sitting in an ice capped arctic circle wishing I was there.....:-(

Awesome looking cars, well done Mike and Shane....please post lots of pics of all the cars.....good luck to all the teams .....what a fantastic class this is!!!!

Cheers,

JanR

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jazzbell

Well guy's the Endurance championship has been run and won. What a great 8 hrs of racing these cars were.

First thanks to the owners of our great venue Chris and Kathy.Poster man Ray(Ratracer) Bill J all the effort around the club he does,Gary sheppo and our designer Kevin Wilson.

Big mention and thanks to Gary Johnson for his help with our PC system.The night before we were having troubles and Gary being in Queensland guided us through getting it all up and running. 1am we got out the club. Perfect timing system and it was faultless for the hole event.

Event started with concourse. Winner was team NSR with a Merc.

sa6a002.jpg

Next was qualifying for lane choice with team NSR top qualifier(jazzbell drove). Top 3 all at a 5.6 seconds.

Race results.

1st team NSR 4757 LAPS

2nd team reefer 4590

3rd team scalex 4460

4th t bird 4250

5th R.J.G.J 4042

6th Treager 3796

I'd like to say thanks to all the drivers that competed as it was great racing all day and night. The cars were put through a big test with some real crash and bash at some stages through the event.

Thanks to team Scalex for coming.

Also to my winning team mates. Simon Noel and Anthony. For those that don't know Noel and Simon came down from Queensland for the race. Our youngest team member and future of racing and local Anthony who is only 15 years of age. Thanks again team.

Another mention is the hand out motors. These Evo 25,000kings did not skip a beat for 8 hrs. Power wise identical . If anything they were quicker by the end of 8 HRS. Great test on performance .

I would have to recommend we stick to these motors for big events.

Some snaps.

Winning team. Left to right. Anthony,Jazzbell,Noel,Simon

scaleauto8hr013.jpg

2nd place Robert,Ian,bill j ,Bruno.

scaleauto8hr012.jpg

3rd Steve,Locky,Sammi,Mike.

scaleauto8hr011.jpg

scaleauto8hr001.jpg

scaleauto8hr010.jpg

Edited by jazzbell

More pics....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thanks again to Shane and everyone at Tbirds for holding and organising yet another fantastic event.

Really enjoyed racing these cars... Fast, reliable and easily repairable. Can't wait for another event like this!

Cheers,

Sammi.

Edited by Sammi

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

A great nights racing and congratulations to the podium finishers. Team NSR was clearly the gun team all night the car was brilliant and fast with great drivers.

Our team TBird had a good car but was dogged with a few transmission issues but that’s racing as they say. We learn a lot and will be better prepared next time.

I can only echo Jazbell’s comments that it takes a lot of dedicated people to get one of these events up and running well done to all. Great venue, great event and fantastic personalised catering thank you Kathy (orders delivered to you pit box what more could you ask for?).

I would just like to make a special mention to one of our young club members Rhyse just 12 years old who stepped in at the last minute to make up one team. Only recently graduated to club racing drove like a seasoned pro all night a star of the future well done Rhyse.

Looking forward to next year instalment I am sure it will attract a great deal of interest.

So to our next big event we will be running a Scalextric Magnet Championship in March next year with open and junior classes for GT Sports and LMP cars. Sponsor is locked in I will post details early this week. Rules will be the same as the Scale Model Nationals with the addition of the LMP class.

Regards

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

Thanks for posting the photos Sammi never again will the cars look like the starting grid some of the repairs were ingenious taped wings and other body parts. Some of the cars should have been sponsored by Red Bull as they certainly had wings flying off of the track on a number of occasions.

Just for information our car the green Jag apart from having transmission issues developed an ear piercing hi pitched screech this ended up being the lexan interior being ground down by the spur gear.

So incredible were the pit crews one car miraculously enter the pits as a Porsche and returned to the track as a Mercedes we they are both German aren’t they?

So incredible were the pit crews one car miraculously enter the pits as a Porsche and returned to the track as a Mercedes well they are both German aren’t they?

Ray

Edited by Ratracer

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

Thanks for all the reports, Shane Sammi and Ray.

Interesting.......a Porsche to Merc metamorphosis ......???

Well done Noel and Simon, no doubt the two of you were the 'secret weapons' in the NSR Team.......LOL

Remember in 2013 we will have another enduro at Ecurie Elite.au - plan on April and bring your team to the Gold Coast for more high level driving and social.

Cheers,

JanR

Edited by Springbok Racer

I would like to echo every one else's sentiments regarding the 8 hour.. Once again the event was well run, food from the kitchen was awesome and the race was contested in great spirit. The NSR Evo motors were very even from the start all the way to the finish. In my opinion until something better comes along this should be the motor of choice for any state holding an invitational race .. Lastly thanks to Anthony , Simon and Shane for being great team mates. Can't wait till next year.

Noel

Edited by Noel B

Guest jazzbell

Little about car choice for the event. We the Nsr team went for the option of the Merc because it was the easier car to drive for all the team members. Myself i was quicker with the Jag.In the end it was the overall packageof the merc we all could drive. I did build the new bling chassis and being 5 grams heavy played know effect in pace.

Know team ran the Audi.Weight was massive.225grams it came in at. With some testing at a lower weight the Audi might be the goods though.

The 2nd place car of the Porsche was a well built fast car. This was the first event run with a lexan interior which brought this up to pace with the other models. With such high grip this car was on rails and with the lighter interior i think it helped prevent the de-slots as the Porsche tends to do.

In saying this about the Porsche,it is a must for the glass interior to bring the weight up to the 55gram body weight as weight was still needed to make weight.

Ground clearance was a worry for some teams at the end of 8hrs. Team NSR made our tyre change 10minutes before the end of the race with new tyres so 1.8mm was measured . Scalex team went the distance with the same set but rotated the tyres. After 8 hrs with the same set their car measured at 1.45mm...............very close but it measured up which is all that mattered .

some more pics....

scaleauto8hr009.jpgscaleauto8hr008.jpg action Batson scaleauto8hr007.jpgscaleauto8hr006.jpgscaleauto8hr005.jpgscaleauto8hr004.jpg NSR pit scaleauto8hr003.jpgscaleauto8hr002.jpg Our NSR shirts looked great,designed by Kevin Wilson scaleauto8hr014.jpg Final score board scaleauto8hr015.jpg

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Edited by jazzbell

Hi Shane,

Yes, you are right, the lexan interior is definitely needed to bring the Porsche up to pace. BUT, the Merc should at the same time get pulled back some - as we've decided for 2013 the Merc should run the plastic windows.

Once we've parity tested the Audi, I'm sure the introduction of some (or all) of the lexan bits will sort out it's porkiness and bring it up to pace.

As long as we continue the aim of this class to have ALL the cars on par, the success that it has shown in becoming the biggest growing class in Aussie, will continue. With a grid spread across the available body shapes is what it is all about - pity nobody raced a BMW in the enduro - did any team try one? Remember it is the body that won the recent 'Worlds' in Germany.......

Cheers,

Jan

I didn't see a BMW down there on the week end Jan. I would dare say that one could a Bimmer going as good as any other car with out much effort.. Yours is a great car and Werner's handles and goes like stink.. No doubt the Audi will be on the pace in no time at all.

Noel

Guest jazzbell

Just a word on the tyre diameters ,i just placed our tyres we started the race with and give the cars ride height a measure.

1.3mm it measured. So if we made the decision to go the distance on our start tyres we would have been disqualified.

Maybe the heavier bling chassis played a part with tyre wear on our chassis being 5 grams heavier than the older chassis?,as 3rd placed took the risk and made the clearance with out a tyre change.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Just a word on the tyre diameters ,i just placed our tyres we started the race with and give the cars ride height a measure.

1.3mm it measured. So if we made the decision to go the distance on our start tyres we would have been disqualified.

Maybe the heavier bling chassis played a part with tyre wear on our chassis being 5 grams heavier than the older chassis?,as 3rd placed took the risk and made the clearance with out a tyre change.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

I would have thought weight would play a part on tyre wear... More weight... more for the tyres to cope with = more wear.

Our Merc was quite a light car, weighing in the low 190's... probably aided us to be on the same tyres for longer.. without severe tyre wear.

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

Guest jazzbell

The winning car also did 300 more laps than 3rd.

So true..

The 300 laps on an average works out to 50minutes of driving.

Just a quick one on the NSR motor, the 4 of us were averaging in team NSR a time between 5.6 to 5.9's throughout every lane. The last bracket of 80minutes I, Jazzbell broke into the 5.4's and Noel broke into 5.5's. So what an achievement for a motor reaching 8hrs of racing without slowing, i raced first and noel went last.........Not many motors on the market could do this i think.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

As for parity I really don't think there is much in it between the bodies. The car build quality has more effect than the lid used. All things being equal I still think the jag is the best on a flowing track and perhaps the Merc or the new Audi will be the best all rounder. Our car was a gun before I "adjusted" the rear end. I think Ray considered killing me.

Learned a lot as racing tends to crystallise things a bit. We had a fast car a slow car a rough car and a smooth car and it was all the same car. Some basic errors really hurt us but that's racing. The scale auto cars are easily my favourite class and I hope the rules remain pretty standard. 1.8 mm clearance with fixed minimum body and chassis weights means anyone can buy one and with some basic tuning make them go well. Basic chassis with beautiful bodies that are easy to mount. Punchy long can motors that go and stop well. What's not to like?

If the rules allow reduced ground clearances and other tuning nuances to come in the class becomes more elitist and therefore less inclusive to newcomers. Slot car racing has made that mistake too many times before.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I got a call 3 days before the event to make up the "last" team. I had thought there had been too many entries as I was expecting to get contacted to sort out cars well before the event if I was in it.

I have only raced once in the last 12 years (OMO Wing cars at Mobile Raceway last year) and in the past I would spend weeks preparing a car for a big event.

Unfortunately our car builder had to withdraw at the last minute and my thrash BMW which was doing 5.8's with the old NSR motor needed new front tires (bent rim) and back tires (too low), new gears and a lexan interior, but Chris had been let down by a distributor and had no parts so we were trying to get another (Porsche) car going at the last minute before qualifying and it not only proved about 1 sec slower than everyone else but also had major handling and reliability issues (i.e. motor came loose in the first 20 laps, plastic pinion pulled off another motor came loose, back bearing holders came loose numerous times, had a bent axle etc etc)

I lent young 12 year old Rhyse my BMW for a bit of practice before the race and I could see straight away how quickly he adapted , I noticed during the race that even with a poor car he quickly analysed the feedback he was getting from it and did an amazing job at staying on.

Eventually we were offered Chris' Mercedes which despite a slowish motor and being a bit "tippy", enabled us to complete the race. The car ran without problems for the rest of the event, all I had to do was change the braids (thanks a lot Chris).

I noted that after young Rhyse and I had done 40 minutes on our last 2 lanes (orange and black - probably the slowest lanes) that we were sitting 3rd in those brackets at that point - a great drive from a lad in his first big race. With equipment help/good cars he could be winning some races in future.

The race shows again that it does not matter what sort of slotcars you race, the winning drivers/teams more often than not have the best preparation.

The event and the friendliness shown was great and I look forward to racing these cars with you guys next year.

Edited by Rhythm Willie

As for parity I really don't think there is much in it between the bodies. The car build quality has more effect than the lid used. The scale auto cars are easily my favourite class and I hope the rules remain pretty standard. 1.8 mm clearance with fixed minimum body and chassis weights means anyone can buy one and with some basic tuning make them go well. Basic chassis with beautiful bodies that are easy to mount. Punchy long can motors that go and stop well. What's not to like?

If the rules allow reduced ground clearances and other tuning nuances to come in the class becomes more elitist and therefore less inclusive to newcomers, racing has made that mistake too many times before.

Trevor,

You are spot on mate. The rules for 2013 will not change much. The idea is to introduce the Audi on par with the rest, pull the Porsche up and the Merc back a little as mentioned before and give the new Endurance motor a good test for general all round use.

The rules for this class will not include any of the 'tuning' bits and mods always pushed in most other classes - it is not about making these cars faster, but ensuring they all stay on par, easy to set up and very competitive. When we race them and we are on the starting grid, we don't want any driver (including the newbie) to think his car is 'different' from the driver's next to him. This can only be achieved if we resist the inclusion of alternate parts and stay primarily with the standard RTR parts as supplied with the cars out the box.

Cheers,

Jan

Hey Jan I just think scale auto are running out all their old motors in the rtr cars. This is the third i can think of in just over a year. The new one is closed can and although a good punchy motor the basic chassis with no cut outs means the motors run hot. A non vented motor would be a recipie for disaster in an enduro type scenario. Ok for club racing.

Until scale auto settle on a motor there is no standard and that is a pity but better to buy one NSR evo than buying motors ten at a time to find a good one. One great thing about the enduro if you weren't there was everyone had plenty of grip after the first 20 minutes of the track gripping up and everyone had a parity motor.

The race was won and lost on driving and setup. Just the way it should be.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Trevor,

Obviously it is good to know that the NSR Evo is good, reliable and with parity. BUT, until we have actually tested the new Endurance SC -26 motor properly it is not fair to simply exclude it. Bear in mind, the beauty of the Scale Auto class and the big attraction for newbies is the fact that we want to use what comes out the RTR box. That is how it all started and it was only due to Scale Auto dropping the original SC -12 when the motor jostling started. With the Endurance, Scale Auto is telling us that they will settle for the next two years. Don't forget, even the NSR Evo has replaced the King in short succession. This is just how the factories make sure that we have to buy new stuff.

Open can v closed can has been around a long time and closed can motors geared correctly has lasted 24 hour enduro before. The big advantage of closed can motors is just that - closed. It does not allow any skulduggery and does not open any discussion of any either.

Let's wait and see how the Enduarnce motor shape up before we again force guys to buy something they don't need. Especially when we talking more than twice the price.....

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

I agree wholeheartedly. Had the exact same conversation with Shane yesterday. It is just unfortunate that the manufacturer keeps changing the motor spec. That means some sort of standard needs to be implemented. If the new one is pretty equal from motor to motor that's great because scale auto motors are cheap and I am all for making the class as cheap and as standard as possible to encourage more participation.