Kholo Digital Track

74 replies to this topic

#21 Billy_Cart

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Great track Kholo, love how its progressing.

Reading this thread took me right back to our own build starting back in 2006 when I bought the boys a digital SSD set for christmas, now we have a 6m x 2.5m table in the garage with a 40m layout (cross over as well) 85 cars and all the high tech digital mods.

It's just great fun, well done and keep going.

PS. if your looking for more magnet strength your can just add small metal washers to the top of the magnets this works well, but don't use ones that are too large as the extra magnetic down force drag could burn a motor out (and slow the down too much). I also use the small magnets in the "Magnetics" toys which can add just that little extra to tame a difficult car or quickly even a class of cars up without a lot of tuning etc.
Cheers

Phil

#22 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I have organised a 5 round Porsche Challenge at the Kholo Track.

Posted Image

The first round was a little lite on racers, as two guys had to pull out.

Posted Image

The set up is 3 x 20 min races over three nights, with the top 2 from each meet to race a qualifying final, with the top 4 to race the final.

We raced from 7:30pm - 12:30am, a decent effort. After the Porsche challenge rounds we had open racing, including F1's and V8's.

Below is my first attempt at posting a video

Posted Image

Edited by Kholo Kid, 29 October 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#23 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have procured a few extra cars. I now have 30 in total.

Posted Image

Edited by Kholo Kid, 15 January 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#24 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

The Kholo track has been getting a decent run over the past couple of months, with eight meets having been held now (and two more planned in the coming fortnight). I estimate that over 2800 laps have been raced on the track to date, and I would have completed close to that number by myself. The 6 car power base hasn’t missed a beat, and the SSDC software is great.

My lap times have come down quite significantly, from mid 8 seconds to my best (achieved this week) of 6.10 seconds. I would not have thought a 5 second time was possible, but that now seems just a matter of time.

I have modified the track slightly this month, adding a longer pit lane which runs for around 1.5 metres now. After a long delay (Scalextric warranty support in QLD is woeful) I have a working pit lane game as well, so the next meet will have a pit Marshall monitoring pit exits.

I have expanded my slot car hobby a little and I have written an article for a slot car magazine on the development of my track which will be published this month. The editor was happy with the article and has asked me to review a slot car for him. He will supply the car (Pioneer brand - Mustang) and I will run it on my track and write a two page review. Best of all I get to keep the car. This will be the first non-scalextric car I have run on my track, so that will be interesting as well. Hopefully I will get the car in time for the next meet I have organised and I will get to test it under race conditions.

On the topic of race meets they (the meets) have grown to take on a life of their own. I have three core groups that attend being the locals, the family/friends and the baby group guys. The baby group is a spin off from a group that my wife helped set up (we all have kids 3 years and under). This group is interesting as we are all dealing with similar issues, such as toddlers, new bourns etc. It’s good to get some time to chat about life while drinking beer and racing 1/32 scale plastic cars.

The locals are a laugh, with each guy closely guarding his preferred car. I think a couple of them want to take ‘their’ car home with them to tinker a little. My collection has increased to 31 cars now (32 when the Mustang arrives), which I think will be about it for me. However, the new VW beetle that has been released would be good…

Edited by Kholo Kid, 11 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#25 Johnsxr8

Digital Racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Keep plugging away at the racemeets they will get bigger the more you persist with them, i had had like about 2-3 guys when we started and now have around 25 members and we average around 10-14 guys per racemeet but still do have the occasional one where lots of them have things on and get a small turnout but we still have fun on those nights. Alot of the guys that compete here now plan there weekends around racing at my house (Their Wives probably hate me lol), i never thought it would get to this when i first started out planning a few racemeets but now i look forward to every 2nd Friday nite Racing Digital Slotcars

John
Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

#26 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Every fortnight is pretty dedicated. I organise the meets around every 6 - 8 weeks at the moment. I have set up a facebook page where I can open race dates and the member join. I limit the races to 6 people, as I figure it would be pretty boring for the non-racer to watch?

#27 Johnsxr8

Digital Racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I need at least 4 marshalls around my track to make racing decent with 6 cars on the track, and when guys are not racing they are usually marshalling or playing with their cars. I had a 3 hour enduro last year where 2 fellows travelled half an hour and basically marshalled for the whole 3 hours, at my house the at least 10 are required to to run the meet enjoyably with 6 cars and we run a few heat races first to decide grids for finals with the A-final lasting around 12min and a bump up format where the top 2 racers from the c and b finals advancing to the next final

Edited by Johnsxr8, 11 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#28 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Johnsxr8 - I can see why you need a couple of marshall's (I just checked out your link). My room is quite small, so six races is pretty much the limit. I see your track is a digital routed track, very cool. Did it take a while to set up the track and get all the digital elements working? Also, are your lane change sections bi-directional or do you only run in one direction?

#29 Johnsxr8

Digital Racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

My track originally took about just over a month to get operational but made many errors of which i spent countless hours trying to rectify but am very happy at where it is starting to get especially the changes that were made to the track over the last xmas break, and it did not take long to setup the digital pieces as i cut up the scaley track and inserted it. If i was to do another track build i would probably go the opposite way and have no drop in pieces but it will take a little more time doing it. And we only run in the one direction because of the drop in pieces

#30 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I've redesigned the Kholo track again.

Posted Image

The key features are:

Twin pit lanes

Posted Image

1.5m subway style tunnel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4 lane straight at the back

Posted Image

A few nice big sweeping bends

Posted Image

A sneaky S1 twist just before the mini home straight

Posted Image

Awesome fun

#31 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

If you guys are interested in seeing more detail about my track, including some pictures of my cars and previous tracks you can visit my site at https://sites.google...e/the-tracks/k6

Edited by Kholo Kid, 29 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#32 Joshua Maguire

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

were u ever having trouble with XLC's in the middle of the track
I live my life a Slot car race at a time for those 50 laps or less i'm slow :)

#33 shadow_rusty

"Team ABC" Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

If you are using magnet cars, half a straight before the lane changers is generally all you need...
If you are magless, then a full straight works a little better...

But as always, if you want to change lanes, back off slightly before the sensor to straighten the car up, and change lanes...
Posted Image
Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader
(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track
Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection
Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector
/ Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / [size=3]Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call

#34 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostJoshua Maguire, on 09 June 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

No real issues. I often have a S1 corner before the X lane change, which slows the cars down. Locating the pit lane on the table within a tight layout has been a challenge because if the lane change is to early before the pit lane then racers find it hard to get the right lane. This time I have place twin pit lanes to remove that as an issue. However, short pit lanes is an issue because cars often fail to gain enough speed to get out (over the dead zone at the toggle).

#35 Joshua Maguire

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

ok

#36 Joshua Maguire

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostJoshua Maguire, on 09 June 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I meant middle of the straight

#37 shadow_rusty

"Team ABC" Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I've never had any issues with mine at any point in a straight...
Sometimes in a long straight, I put in 2 or 3 changers...

I've found that the best place to put them though is in the breaking zones as the cars are already straight, and are generally going a little slower...
It also feels a little more realistic as most overtaking is done under brakes...

Lastly, if you are using a 4 car powerbase, do yourself a favour and look up the mods to power the lanechangers off an external source.
I had no end of issues with my 4pb till I did this...
Posted Image
Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader
(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track
Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection
Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector
/ Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / [size=3]Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call

#38 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have found that having the lane changes around the tight sections of the track works well, because the cars are going slower and this is where the skill of individually racers is evident. On the straights the racers at my meets just go for it, 100% gas with no thought of lane changing so the lane changers in the straight have always been wasted. Also, pulling off an aggresive overtaking move in the tight cornering section is very cool.

I have had little success with the corner lane changer and now don't use them at all. They caused issues when playing in analog mode (with cars switching lanes) and also when racing in the opposite direction in digital mode the cars usually ended up on a single lane as well.

In fact, the lane changing option has been less excting then I had originally thought it would be, the greatest feature of digital is being able to race 6 cars on 2 tracks.

#39 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

I thought it woudl be fun to see the Kholo track development in one post

Track 1
Posted Image

Track 2
Posted Image

Track 3
Posted Image

Track 4
Posted Image

Track 5 - Pitlane added
Posted Image

Track 6
Posted Image

Edited by Kholo Kid, 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#40 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yesterday while I was playing around on the track I found that with the 6 car power base in analogue mode you can make the cars reverse. By holding down the lane change button at the same time as the trigger to accelerate the cars actually go in reverse. I was able to reverse out of a crash and keep going… pretty cool really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users