Kholo Digital Track

74 replies to this topic

#1 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

I have built a room at the end of my shed dedicated to slot. The key design features of the table include being able to park my ride on mower and wheel burrow etc under the table, and also it includes an annex roof to store kayaks and space pods etc.

Posted Image
The wall framing going up

Posted Image
Checking that the mower fits etc

Posted Image
My 2 year old daughter helping with the painting

Posted Image
Wall up - now starting on the table

Posted Image
The table installed

Posted Image
I love it when a plan comes together

Posted Image
The table painted and the 1st track installed

Posted Image
The grid

#2 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Great idea. The track layout looks good. You seem to be in the sticks a bit, will there be any locals racing with you?
I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

Posted Image

#3 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have changed the track slightly, it now includes a three lane section in the middle. This change created a whole new dynamic to the track. Most racers are getting mid 7 sec times after an hour or so of racing. A couple of us have achieved 6.4 sec.

On the flip side - I don't know of any people out this way who take it serious. I am near Ipswich so no doubt there are a group or two. My family and friends are having a ball with the track.

Posted Image

Edited by slot beginner, 27 August 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#4 Zero

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

nice work
ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

#5 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Great use of space. Keep up the good work and all the best for future racing. Do not know anything about digital but looks like there is plenty of opportunity for passing.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#6 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Chas, the digital is great. Personally I wasn't interested in slot's for years until the digital options. Racing 6 cars, my 2.5 year old daughter can race (power adjusted down for her), lane changing, it's great. I get a group of guys together and with a little practice we get a great competition going.

#7 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

My track has now been re-invented a 3rd time (the beauty of not routing a track... quick modifications). I have changed the track almost completely. Two straights are completely gone, as is the three lane change section. I have introduced a single lane ramp and a crossover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ramp is great, causing a few crashes but the guys adjust to the racing pretty quick and the number of crashes has reduced to nearly nil (unless we have a new racer). By having a single lane the racers have to make an judgement call when they return to the two lanes, to change lanes or not to change. This has increased the competition significantly. The many corners in this latest track has evened up the cars relative performance. On the previous track, with it’s long straights 3 of the cars were way faster then the rest, so the competition was pretty one sided. However, with the corners all the cars are within a few 100th of a second of each other… sweet.

The final change is inclusion of a pit lane. I have been using SSDC software with the fuel burn switched on. When cars enter the pit they don’t have their lap counted. This effectively ‘costs’ the pitted car at least two laps. With the SSDC software you can conserve fuel by not accelerating to full throttle… this combination (fuel burn and loss of laps to pit) has introduced strategy to the race… very cool!

Posted Image

#8 mattcrackers

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

G'day slot beginner,

Good to see your track is evolving, mine still changes slightly every now and again as well. I like to keep the parts of the layout that I'm happy with and modify the sections that I'm not happy with. Each time I come on the forum and see other peoples tracks I get more ideas on how my track could be bettered. Keep having fun, thats what its all about.

Matt

#9 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

The 4th modification of the Kholo track with two corners extended. I have also mounted a screen so as to view the race management software. We had our first race meet (just family). I set up three 20 min races. Heaps of fun and the pit element really challanged the guys.

Posted Image

The following picture is a screen shot from the SSDC race management software tracking my fuel usage while I was practicing alone.

Posted Image

This one is from the race. As you can see, the red line (controller 1 - who won the race) drove most conservatively and conserved fuel, so got an extra few laps in before pit stops were required.

It was a great afternoon, and I have another meet lined up with 6 racers next time

Posted Image

Edited by Kholo Kid, 09 October 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#10 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

The Richard's Falcon is the best handling car out of the box. My Fav is the #48 Camaro, it is all over the place, drifts on most corners so iot is a real challenge to drive which makes it great fun.

Here is a pic of my cars, a little selection (with almost all the wings fallen off)

Posted Image

Edited by Kholo Kid, 03 October 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#11 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

You will soon need more shelves and another cupboard :P

Good to see you with PC timing as well

Edited by Ontheflipside, 04 October 2012 - 07:30 AM.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

Posted Image

#12 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostOntheflipside, on 04 October 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

You will soon need more shelves and another cupboard :P

Good to see you with PC timing as well

Ha Ha, no doubt you are right. However I placed a handful of power supplies, power base tracks and hand controllers on ebay last night, trying to sell some of the extra stuff that accumulates. Speaking of such things, do any of you guys have magnets for the DPR ready cars that you want to sell?

#13 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

The 5th version of my Kholo track, with all sorts of random props.

Posted Image

The beetle toilet roll holder was a gift from my brother in law around 10 years ago, a bit if a classic.

Posted Image

I've moved the pit lane to a corner of the track, no longer along the straight.

Posted Image

I've now added two over passes with a stright in the middle

Posted Image

It's a busy little track now, heaps of tight corners. Times have increased from 6.8 sec to mid 9's.

Posted Image

I've introduced a cross over track as well, it causes a bit of car damage but it's fun.

Posted Image

#14 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

By the way, can someone confirm that the number 32 car in this picture is a 1996 VS Commodore? And does any one have a spare wing for this car sitting around that I can buy?

Posted Image

#15 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

I actually liked the single lane bit in an earlier version and please throw the cross over/sure thing smash bit in the bin. No need to invite disaster.
Just my two bobs worth.
Cheers
K
"S#!t Happens"

#16 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,234 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

The 32 car is a Ford Mondeo, they bought it out in a few different liveries ......

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was the "Bathurst Standard" a few years back, all the Bathurst sets had them as the V8's were only a wet dream back then :D

Posted Image

Posted Image
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

#17 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I like seeing how you have developed the design bit by bit.

One thing you might consider is working out the weight of each car, and how many grams of magnetic downforce it is getting - then working out dowwnforce in grams per gram of car weight.

As you go on, you'll notice a big variation in the amount of downforce, and that affects corner speed for all cars you will buy.

The old Mondeo probably has very little as the magnet will be an old ferrite one. The modren cr will have neodymium magnmets which are much stronger.
But even for two identical modern cars, the magnets have differing strengths.
When our club raced with magnets on ninco track, we bought a "maagnet marshal" to do this, but it can be done with just a normal set of jeweller scales off EBAY for a few bucks, and a dose of rat-cunning and engenuity.
Then you buy a few cheap magnets, break bits off where needed to get even smaller, and just plant them on top of existing magnets in cars to even up the handling.
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2019 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire [not in rehab] * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club introduction

#18 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

View Postgazza, on 10 October 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

The 32 car is a Ford Mondeo, they bought it out in a few different liveries ......

It was the "Bathurst Standard" a few years back, all the Bathurst sets had them as the V8's were only a wet dream back then :D

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me (the car make is not on the bottom as with the newer cars). I have been looking at a few cars and sites this week (searching by 'Richards 32' and thought that it was a poor impression of a commodore). I bought new tyres for the Mondeo last week, and added a digital chip. It's a bit of a beast, you think you are going slow but the times are quite respectable, only 1 sec or so slower than my best cars. When I get a race going I think it will hold it's own.

Edited by Kholo Kid, 11 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#19 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 10 October 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

I like seeing how you have developed the design bit by bit.

One thing you might consider is working out the weight of each car, and how many grams of magnetic downforce it is getting - then working out dowwnforce in grams per gram of car weight.

As you go on, you'll notice a big variation in the amount of downforce, and that affects corner speed for all cars you will buy.

The old Mondeo probably has very little as the magnet will be an old ferrite one. The modren cr will have neodymium magnmets which are much stronger.
But even for two identical modern cars, the magnets have differing strengths.
When our club raced with magnets on ninco track, we bought a "maagnet marshal" to do this, but it can be done with just a normal set of jeweller scales off EBAY for a few bucks, and a dose of rat-cunning and engenuity.
Then you buy a few cheap magnets, break bits off where needed to get even smaller, and just plant them on top of existing magnets in cars to even up the handling.

You're correct, the Mondeo's magnet is quite weak.

When I have race events with friends and family my only rule is that the winner gives the loser their car for the next heat/race. This has taken the car performance advantage out of play. Also, with the slower cars I give them an extra 10L - 20L of fuel in the SSDC software, so they get a few extra laps before having to pit.

The magnet strength difference is a pain. My Falcon V8 just held the road, blitzing all others out of the box. I switched magnets between different cars and seem to have got a more even playing field now. I placed 2 magnets in the Holden V8 and it just competed with the Ford V8 with it's 1 original magnet (obviously there are other variables to performance)

Edited by Kholo Kid, 10 October 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#20 Kholo Kid

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostKenny, on 09 October 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

I actually liked the single lane bit in an earlier version and please throw the cross over/sure thing smash bit in the bin. No need to invite disaster.
Just my two bobs worth.
Cheers
K

K, you gave me a great name for this version of the track "Invitation to Disaster"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users