Kholo Digital Track

Kholo Kid

Every fortnight is pretty dedicated. I organise the meets around every 6 - 8 weeks at the moment. I have set up a facebook page where I can open race dates and the member join. I limit the races to 6 people, as I figure it would be pretty boring for the non-racer to watch?

I need at least 4 marshalls around my track to make racing decent with 6 cars on the track, and when guys are not racing they are usually marshalling or playing with their cars. I had a 3 hour enduro last year where 2 fellows travelled half an hour and basically marshalled for the whole 3 hours, at my house the at least 10 are required to to run the meet enjoyably with 6 cars and we run a few heat races first to decide grids for finals with the A-final lasting around 12min and a bump up format where the top 2 racers from the c and b finals advancing to the next final

Edited by Johnsxr8
  • Upvote 1

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Johnsxr8 - I can see why you need a couple of marshall's (I just checked out your link). My room is quite small, so six races is pretty much the limit. I see your track is a digital routed track, very cool. Did it take a while to set up the track and get all the digital elements working? Also, are your lane change sections bi-directional or do you only run in one direction?

My track originally took about just over a month to get operational but made many errors of which i spent countless hours trying to rectify but am very happy at where it is starting to get especially the changes that were made to the track over the last xmas break, and it did not take long to setup the digital pieces as i cut up the scaley track and inserted it. If i was to do another track build i would probably go the opposite way and have no drop in pieces but it will take a little more time doing it. And we only run in the one direction because of the drop in pieces

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

• 3 months later...

I've redesigned the Kholo track again.

DSCF7187_zpsb7868704.jpg

The key features are:

Twin pit lanes

DSCF7197_zpsbcaec34a.jpg

1.5m subway style tunnel

DSCF7194_zps47a08ba9.jpg

DSCF7205_zps1cea13dd.jpg

DSCF7196_zps9c1c7c70.jpg

4 lane straight at the back

DSCF7198_zpsb5ed6b44.jpg

A few nice big sweeping bends

DSCF7201_zps3a3444b3.jpg

A sneaky S1 twist just before the mini home straight

DSCF7247_zpsea13066b.jpg

Awesome fun

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using magnet cars, half a straight before the lane changers is generally all you need...

If you are magless, then a full straight works a little better...

But as always, if you want to change lanes, back off slightly before the sensor to straighten the car up, and change lanes...

were u ever having trouble with XLC's in the middle of the track

No real issues. I often have a S1 corner before the X lane change, which slows the cars down. Locating the pit lane on the table within a tight layout has been a challenge because if the lane change is to early before the pit lane then racers find it hard to get the right lane. This time I have place twin pit lanes to remove that as an issue. However, short pit lanes is an issue because cars often fail to gain enough speed to get out (over the dead zone at the toggle).

I've never had any issues with mine at any point in a straight...

Sometimes in a long straight, I put in 2 or 3 changers...

I've found that the best place to put them though is in the breaking zones as the cars are already straight, and are generally going a little slower...

It also feels a little more realistic as most overtaking is done under brakes...

Lastly, if you are using a 4 car powerbase, do yourself a favour and look up the mods to power the lanechangers off an external source.

I had no end of issues with my 4pb till I did this...

I have found that having the lane changes around the tight sections of the track works well, because the cars are going slower and this is where the skill of individually racers is evident. On the straights the racers at my meets just go for it, 100% gas with no thought of lane changing so the lane changers in the straight have always been wasted. Also, pulling off an aggresive overtaking move in the tight cornering section is very cool.

I have had little success with the corner lane changer and now don't use them at all. They caused issues when playing in analog mode (with cars switching lanes) and also when racing in the opposite direction in digital mode the cars usually ended up on a single lane as well.

In fact, the lane changing option has been less excting then I had originally thought it would be, the greatest feature of digital is being able to race 6 cars on 2 tracks.

Yesterday while I was playing around on the track I found that with the 6 car power base in analogue mode you can make the cars reverse. By holding down the lane change button at the same time as the trigger to accelerate the cars actually go in reverse. I was able to reverse out of a crash and keep going… pretty cool really.

That's a pretty neat trick. I'll have to give it a go on my brothers track.

• 3 months later...

I have made a few modifications to the Kholo Track. It is now up to it's 7th version.

DSCF7734_zpsd3096900.jpg

I have removed a straight and replace with a snaking section. I did this pretty much because I was finding the track a bit boring with to many straights.

DSCF7728_zps2d36d68d.jpg

This shot shows the extended pit lane with the pit lane game removed.

DSCF7747_zpsa6cfaa43.jpg

The planning corner of the slot car room. Two Ford Falcon seats mounted to a comfortable height.

Edited by Kholo Kid

There was a fire threat last night around my area (I live in the bush with 1000's of hectares of bush across the road). Our fire plan is to run once we have packed the essentials. In the end only the bush burnt, but I did have a chance to take a few slot items in my essentials kit, including 6 car power base and tower screen, 20 cars (out of 85) 2 x box sets (these are my spare parts an contain I guess around 15 metres of track) and a box of spares. So, what would be your 'essentials' if a fire threatened your slot collection?

Edited by Kholo Kid

• 1 month later...

I have rebuilt the track again, it's now onto it's 8th version. Major rebuild this time with all bridges/over passes removed.

Key elements include a chicane that has racing line cross tracks before and after, the impact cross road and 3 x S1 corners.

I have a race meet organised for Thursday night to test the track out. All the racers are experienced and have attended 3 or more meets in the past so it promises to be an exciting event.

I will trial a Kholo 3000 race, which is 3000 KM (scaled KM) race. IT will last for around 1.5 hours straight in 3 teams of 2 racers. Each racer has to complete a minimum of 40 minutes racing in two blocks (so around 20 minutes each twice).

DSCF8142_zps266942c7.jpg

DSCF8157_zps2e07cb96.jpg

DSCF8152_zpsf7ce3632.jpg

DSCF8153_zps8d28c4d2.jpg

DSCF8154_zps724e8950.jpg

DSCF8145_zpse631c72c.jpg

DSCF8147_zpsb4b397e7.jpg

th_DSCF8155_zpsf18ad0bd.jpg

That looks like carnage will ensue...

It would be a great track for the 'lego' cars...

demolition.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey Shadow_rusty, great shot of the lego cars.

I have been watching some older V8 DVD's (2006/2007) and was inspired by the Gold Coast Track.

One of my favorite things about this track is that there is only a small straight. Straights get boring really quickly and I like to have to work and concentrate to get improved track times.

Edited by Kholo Kid

The track looks great apart from the crossover...

Just not a fan of the damage that those crossovers cause...

I have one (came with the lego cars) and it's never been out of the box...

The racing curve ones are ok, especially how you have used them...

It makes it a ~3m 'single' lane section...