Nz Canam Proxy 2012 - Race Round 7

SlotsNZ

Qualifying will be run tomorrow 14th August at lunchtime, so will have those results up with you get home from work folks.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

That's right kids! It's back!

After a wet month off in the land of the Long White Cloud - The NZ Can Am Proxy is back in business.

Qualifying tomorrow will be fast and furious and I'll be curious to see how many, if any, of these 1/32 gems slip under the magic 7.00s barrier.

Thunder Road is groomed and ready. We'll run the round on Thursday night to replace our usual club racing.

Bring. It. On.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Qualifying is done. Thanks to SlotsNZ for making this another smooth start to the Thunder Road round.

As always the cars were a mixed bag. The Good. The Bad. And what the %^*# were you thinking :) But it was great to see the work that's gone into the cars and to host them on my track.

SlotsNZ will provide some driver comment soon but a couple of things stood out to me.

1. The best cars were generally faster than the previous Can Am proxy's I have run on my track. But...

2. With few exceptions the best cars were also a bit 'rougher' to drive than I expected.

I know proxy races are meant to be a 'survival' test but a number of the top cars had lost the smooth flow I was expecting. I can only assume they've been driven hard in the first few rounds. The question is " Have they been driven too hard?"

Who knows! I'm just making this comment as the last two times the cars hit Thunder Road towards the end of the Can Am proxy the top qualifiers were generally in better nick.

Good luck with the round guys!

Mac

Here we are, Qualifying in all it's splendour.

nzprR7qual.jpg

We took Haystack's car off track twice. It actually sounded as if the spur gear, or a corner of the body was rubbing on the track. - Clearly on setup blocks it wasn't. Everything also turned freely by hand. I SUSPECT the gear mesh has seen it best days . . some days ago :( and it may be that there is something rubbing inside the body. But the tyres just don't seem to suit Mac's track, it was quite taily.

As he mentioned, most of the cars are showing signs of degradation from the previous rounds. We looked at quite a few tyres, suspecting some cars had one peeling off rim, or at least partly unglued. In most cases they were actually fine. It may be that some have simply gone a bit out of round, - like flat spots, but from the combination of braking and acceleration.

Wear pattern ACROSS the width of tyres didn't seem to be an issue apart from Stubbo's, where one tyre was completely loose on rim, and had rubbed as it "blew" outwards during some part of the previous round. That car was a lot better for a glue and tighten.

No penalties have been applied to any car, as I would put any needed repairs now down to hard running.

The fastest 3 cars ran laps at around an average lap speed of 14fps - that is pretty quick for a mid sized track with a lot of corners.

Even a 7.5 second laps equates to 12.67 fps . .

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Just looked at the last 2 Can Am proxies on my track.

6 cars qualified under the 7.0s barrier this year vs 3 last year and none in 2010 when the fastest qualifying time was 7.3s.

Certainly we have come along way. The guys in our local club understand tyre set up now - it's been a revelation for our weekly racing. We can thank these earlier proxy events for much of our learning curve.

Mac

I wondered that Phil - thought you may have re-motored it. My track was freshly repainted in 2010 and there is no doubt the grip is better now. From memory in 2010 we had you car running around the 7.0s mark in the race once we got used to driving the heavier style you do so well.

Mac

I can't wait to see these run again and on Thunder Road this time :ph34r:

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

Just one more sleep J2, just one more sleep..... :lol:

BTW, I'm providing dinner/supper tomorrow night.

Will get a pile of dominos low class pizzas unless someone has a better idea.

Is there a decent pizzeria in Havelock, or Mac's end of Hastings?

What are our other choices - and if anyone says 3 courses delivered from the Loading Ramp, they're stiff out of luck.

Hi Mark

I had a very nice roast lamb from a funky little, blues theme cafe in Greymouth last time I was there , if that helps ?

Cheers LB

Edited by lenny broke

Thanks to Smithy on white, Munter on blue and nvmyre on yellow for driving this round with me and to all the boys who marshalled on a wet Hawkes Bay night. Big thanks to slotsnz for running the cutter and shouting the pizzas!

The cars all looked cool on the track. Some were a pleasure to drive. Some were a handful. My fave car of the night was hgpanels Ferrari. Not the fastest car but the sweetest in my book. It ran smoother than in qualifying. I think Munter shared my view.

All the top cars were sweet. Phil's Lola was easy to push and is deceptively quick. It was rock steady in the slot and grip improved the faster you pushed it. The stock(ish) Orakei Slot It and Bunyip NSR cars were quick and smooth as of course they should be ;)

Slotsnz's car had body post issues and was unstable at speed. My car has lost it's brakes ( which explains why it's been dragging the chain in the last rounds).

Thanks again for the chance to run your cars on my track everyone.

Mac

• Upvote 1

He'll be less stoked when he gets the bill for the podiumites champagne, and the dry cleaning bill for squirting my tux... :P

Thanks Mac and his team.

Well done again Phil and congrads to Bunyip.

The top 3 were so close in overall laps, could have gone either way.

Bunyip's NSR Porsche is such a lovely runner, I'm tempted to go and buy one.

Phil has built up a nice buffer overall, with one round left, don't think he can be touched.

Was Dr Speed's lower position due to the tires or that guide assembly which has seen too many proxies?

Regards

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Hi Mike

no, it has a nasty axle tramp. It had it when the cars arrived here, and if anything it is getting worse.

We had a look at the tyres, thinking one of them must be blown off the rim,but they look pretty well glued on, so I am not sure of the cause, But SUSPECT something must have happened by way of a high speed crash at henderson that has put something out of square.

if it is any consolation, my car is very unstable now. Everyone has trouble driving it, and it wasn't that jittery when we started.

This is the worst condition I have seen our proxy cars in 4 years.

Mike, without looking at the car, the nasty bounce is typical of a tire that is unglued.

There will something allowing flex/movement that is causing the hop.

The front end seemed to behave well, with nose down and the guide firmly in the slot.

The motor was still responsive too.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Suspect somethink in rear end is either bent or bearing come loose.

The old Macker has had a hard life - this being it's 3rd proxy, time to put it out to pasture after the last round.

Yes this yr seems to be tougher on the cars.

I wonder the fact the cars are getting faster is leading to more damage when they do come off.

Will need to think about next yr building something not only fast, easy to drive but bullet proof - how about a class of Tanks.

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!