Round 8 - Manx Rally - Part 1

slotcarmann

Thanks Dave for the test run and feedback,i liked the quick/predictable comment.

Not many of the heavy cars featured in the top dozen, though, excluding Alexis' Skoda and Jimmi's Lancer, but weight alone does not seem to be a decisive factor, the handling seems to be more critical.

Does this mean my car and Jimmie's were among the top dozen?And by strong magnet you mean strong motor magnetic field?I knew SCX motor vary in performance but magnetic field varance is new to me.Thats one more parameter to check next time i select a motor.

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embs - how much do they charge for sending to you guys in Oz?? (Made my first visit to their shop last Sunday - like Alladin's cave! The Mrs even treated me to two cars, bless her).

Dave, have you bought one (tachometer) or are you making one? I saw a project to make one recently - it's gone on the list of "Things to do", item 98!

EDIT** It was news to me too Alexis.

Edited by snurfen
wosautos12.gif

Sorry Snurfy. Never really take that much notice of postage Y'know how it is. You want it, you wear it. No point in trying to argue.

BTW: You're going to have to tell me the story of the eye-patch and bandage. Very Pudsey Bear, except more sad. ;) Did you go to flick something off your glasses when you weren't actually wearing them?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Nah, when you give blood these days, instead of a little ball of cotton wall and 2 inches of micropore, they do you up so you look like a self harmer. I thought I'd just Pudsey up for an hour to get the gimps talking about it.

I'll be doing the screwdriver test tonight now Dave, just out of curio (must have a gauss meter somewhere in work, I'll have to go raid te calibration lab later).

wosautos12.gif

Martyn - I have a small DS pocket checker for motors, that covers the rpm and gauss (magnetic) readings. The rpm side is a bit temperamental, but I should be able to do the gauss readings.

Alexis - yes, you (6th) and Jimmi (3rd) were in the top 12 as shown in the table relating to the test stage. And yes, I was referring to the magnetic strength of the motors' magnets.

Lynne - like you, for my Lancer all I did was run in the motor and gears for a while, after it had competed in Slot Rally GB a couple of times in 2011. In fact, I brought it out of retirement for this event, and didn't even run it on any track afterwards, to test it: it was basically set up on very general settings, to hopefully run OK on most tracks, which in fact it has done to date, bar one 25th place.

Cheers

Dave

Embs - how much do they charge for sending to you guys in Oz??

The postage isn't too bad, the more you buy the better off you are, but that's offset by the fact that we don't pay the VAT

Thank's for all the feed back Dave

Good luck running the event on the weekend

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Ben M I checked all the motors that I had here and there was over 2,000 rpm variation from slowest to fastest. I went with the best I had and that was 900 revs slower than Haystacks one that he pulled out of a car to fit in his Pug. Even aligning hoods and running in brushes etc did not help much.just seems a lot of variation in these older motors.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feed back.

If possible can you please have a look at the body screws on my car #1 as it should have quite a bit of movement, and I did see somewhere else that someone was playing the body screws.

Could explain the drop in performance in the UK.

It was set up with -1/4 turn at the front and - 1 turn at the back.

Thanks

CHEERS

GARRY

HOKEY POKEY ANONYMOUS ....... A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN TURN YOURSELF AROUND

Hi guys

Will someone please e-mail me the magic results spreadsheet, so I can complete it for our two rounds (slotcarmann@gmail.com)?

Will be checking the cars carefully tomorrow for correct set-up, decent clean braids, spot of oil etc. Then either tomorrow or Saturday, depending on when I can get the marshals and drivers to staff it, we will do Stage 1. Remaining stages Saturday/Sunday, to complete our Round 8.

Tonight is our club-night anyway, the classes being (a) LMP club cars (standard Avant Slots) and (B) F1 to our own club rules, so I'll be down there from 2pm today setting up cars etc until racing finishes, probaly about 11pm. On Sunday we have a Committee meeting at 2pm anyway - so it's solid slot cars for the next 4 days...!

What a shame...! lol

Next weekend's Round 9 will be similar, but we might be able to start a stage on the Thursday then do one on Friday and one over the weekend. Will update you as and when I have the info.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Hey Dave - hope your not like Gazza - he doesn't even know when it is emptying until his feet get warm, :lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Nope, not as bad as that, I just wear a track in the carpet and Motorway stops have to be planned carefully when I'm in the UK...lol

Just back home from our weekly club-night and we have a crew organised to run stage 1 tomorrow afternoon: Andy White as driver (a former BSCRA slot champion), plus my better half Barbara and me as marshals, time recorders etc. Kick off will be about noon to check the cars out, then as soon as that is done we will start the stage, with the aim of finishing around 5pm.

I will try to have the results posted by mid-evening tomorrow.

As our club are sub-tenants in a secure building where aircraft repairs are carried out, we will not be able to use their wifi, for obvious reasons, so we cannot give live coverage or updates during stages, unfortunately.

This first stage in Round 8 will be using the Glencrutchery Road stage, (or TT Grandstand stage, as it might also be known), built by Andi Burt for last year's IOM Round of the GB Slot Rally. It's a flat, twisty, routed track with scenery closely reflecting the real scenery, including a miniature TT Races scoreboard.

Photo below:-

1d9cdbd3.jpg

Ben M I checked all the motors that I had here and there was over 2,000 rpm variation from slowest to fastest. I went with the best I had and that was 900 revs slower than Haystacks one that he pulled out of a car to fit in his Pug. Even aligning hoods and running in brushes etc did not help much.just seems a lot of variation in these older motors.

Thats a big variation. I had 3 motors, one came in a new car (the Lancer) and 2 other second hand cars. As I didn't know the history of the other 2 motors I kept it safe and used the new one. If it is a dud motor ive got a good excuse for not winning ;)

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Morning all

Day 1 - Round 1 - Stage 1

The day has dawned dry and sunny, so slicks will be required for today's tarmac stage, although too much grip will cause problems around the bales on the tight corners!

Just going to wrap and box the cars for their long trek down to the south of the Island. OK, it's only fifteen minutes away, but on a small island just 32 miles long, that's quite a trip (10 miles)...lol.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Hi folks

Have just noticed that we should be running times to 1/100. On the specific rally tracks we will be using a Ninco N-Scorer, which records to 2 decimal places, but we have back-up by hand-held stop-watch if required. This should be OK, as I have loads of AA batteries in stock!

If we need to use a lane on the club's routed track, which we hadn't planned as it has a 20 foot straight, then the timing will be to 3 decimal places, which we can round down (if 0.004 or less) or up (if 0.005 or more).

We hope to run Stage 2 on my plastic Scalextric Sport track tomorrow, with loops at either end to make it a long stage. Then on Sunday we will run Chris Priest's (that's the Northern Hemishpere's version of Chris Priest, not Haystack from Tas...!) Manx Hill Climb in the normal direction, which is Plastic track again, but Ninco, I think.

Cheers

Dave

I haven't checked to see if it is 1/100th second but by reckoning 0.1 is tenths and 0.01 is hundredths, so two decimal places is fine, isn't it? :huh:

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

Have a good day Dave and gang. Did you set up Glencrutchery Road inthe big break room or the track room?

I've got sme pictures of when me and Luke visited the club, I'll photobucket some up later to set the scene for those not fortunate enough to have visited your unique club!

wosautos12.gif

Hi Martyn

Both Andi's Glencrutchery Road and Chris P's Manx Hill Climb are both set up in our clubroom - Andi's on the workbenches behind the main track's driver's stations and Chris P's in the corner at the bottom end of the room. I will do my best to get as many photos as possible and some video clips.

I will need to set up my Druidale track somewhere tomorrow, maybe on top of the club track.

Thanks for offering to post some photos.

Cheers

Dave