Round 8 - Manx Rally - Part 1

slotcarmann

Hi guys

I'll be picking up the box of cars from Malcolm at the Pendle GB Slot Rally this weekend.

Once back home in the Isle of Man at 6am on Monday morning (and after my dental appointment at 0915 Monday...!), we will test and check the cars for running on our tracks, in preparation for running the first three stages (Round 8) over the weekend of 10/11/12 August.

Then Round 9 will be held over the weekend of 17/18/19 August.

Looking forward to seeing all the cars, meeting the challenge of staging two rounds and seeing what effect this has on the Championship.

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to it Dave. Hope the new mountain section is involved - built by the lad who lives up Cronk-y-Voddy - that was a gem.

Don't forget to ensure spangers is medicated before the meal on Saturday, don't want a repeat of the Glen Helen dessert incident! - looking forward to seeing you all.

wosautos12.gif

Hi Martyn

Yes, Chris Priest's Manx Hill Climb will be one of the featured tracks. Round One will be in the normal direction, but in the Second Round it will be in reverse....! At least, I mean the direction of travel will be opposite, not that the cars will be in reverse, hopefully. :lol:

Some new vegetation was added last night by Chris, so it's less green now and an autumnal look to it. Must be the drought...?!!!!? that we haven't had in reality this summer, outdoors at least. :rolleyes:

The second track will be Andi Burt's Glencrutchery Road, or TT Grandstand section, if you prefer, which can also be run in both directions.

The 3rd track for each round - well that's still to be decided, with at least 3 options - more news later. :P

I have a short video of Chris's track taken last night, with Dave Kneale providing the car action. I'll post it later on with some photos of Andi's track also.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Oh yes, Andi's track is a little cracker. Drives well with the added touch of it's part of the TT course and even has the scoreboard.

Wishing you guys a smooth crossing tomorrow and looking forward to Sunday.

Edit** 4km pursuit just starting, oz and GB in for the two big medals. Awesome work from these 8 guys.

Edited by snurfen
wosautos12.gif

Hi Martyn

Yes, Chris Priest's Manx Hill Climb will be one of the featured tracks. Round One will be in the normal direction, but in the Second Round it will be in reverse....! At least, I mean the direction of travel will be opposite, not that the cars will be in reverse, hopefully. :lol:

Some new vegetation was added last night by Chris, so it's less green now and an autumnal look to it. Must be the drought...?!!!!? that we haven't had in reality this summer, outdoors at least. :rolleyes:

The second track will be Andi Burt's Glencrutchery Road, or TT Grandstand section, if you prefer, which can also be run in both directions.

The 3rd track for each round - well that's still to be decided, with at least 3 options - more news later. :P

I have a short video of Chris's track taken last night, with Dave Kneale providing the car action. I'll post it later on with some photos of Andi's track also.

Cheers

Dave

I fear however, that Chris Priest's MANX HILLLCLIMB will not be one of the races features... :wacko::unsure::rolleyes::lol::D:P

Chris Priest (Haystack)

Chris

H.M.C.C

Hi guys

Well, the box of cars was passed to me at Pendle by Bill from Wolves, so this afternoon's project is to open the box and give them all a preliminary run on a small Scaley Sport track up in the attic. Then we can see if there are any major issues which need sorting before the weekend.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, meant to ask you on Sunday, but we had to rush off too quick. Could you do my screws 2 turns undone please? I had written it on the bottom of the car, but had rubbed off by the time they got to me.

I totally forgot when I had them to put a sticker on the bottom!

wosautos12.gif

Hope testing and all goes well Dave. Should be a slightly quicker job with two less pesky Citroens and no Skoda to deal with. ;)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi folks

Just completed initial testing early this morning (it's now 0843) and all cars made it around 3 laps on my home Scaley Sport track in the loft.

Where cars had an "off" - only about half a dozen - I ran them again so we could compare clear runs. Running standard Scaley wall wart and home set controller, no barriers or run off areas, with one longish straight and the rest fairly twisty, but no R1 turns. There were a couple of motors that smelt a bit (yes, one of those was in the car, which had a message underneath: "hope the motor survives") and a handful needed braids adjusting a touch, but other than that, no problems so far.

Most went pretty well, but a few were lagging behind a bit, sadly.

I wouldn't read too much into these "results", as the stages we will use will be quite different and challenging, unlike my home track!

Photos and results table follow after I've had my breakfast and a cuppa or two.

Cheers

Dave

SCX World Rally Proxy 2012

Manx Rally Part 1 - Round 8 - Test Stage

Place No. Car Owner Time Comments Wt - gms

1 40 Citroen Xsara Slotcarscrapyard 18.5 Superb, strong magnet, rattly gears 83.4

2 53 Citroen C4 Conti Rowland 18.7 Very quick, drives beautifully 83.4

3 8 Mitsubishi Lancer Jimmi 18.8 Quick,superb to drive, quite heavy 99.2

4 13 Mitsubishi Lancer Ember 18.9 Superb to drive, predictable 96.2

5 66 Peugeot 206 MattTucker 18.9 V. strong magnet, v. quick 90

6 14 Skoda Alexis 19.4 Strong magnet, heavy, quick/predictable 103.6

7 52 Citroen C4 Gary W 19.5 Quick, quite heavy 97.4

8 26 Citroen C4 Kidvoltage 19.5 Quick, good handling 90.1

9 35 Mitsubishi Lancer Slotcarmann 19.5 OK, quick 85.1

10 46 Peugeot 206 Team Red 19.5 V. strong magnet, well set up, quick 83.9

11 22 Citroen C4 Reek455 19.6 Quick and predictable 91.1

12 84 Citroen C4 Ianj@wolves 19.8 Quickish, but body tight and no rock 83.9

13 3 Citroen C4 Jon 19.8 Quickish 93.3

14 47 Mitsubishi Lancer Mohawk 19.8 Quickish 95.8

15 64 Peugeot 206 Yngwie 19.9 Quite quick, but a bit twitchy 88.9

16 7 Subaru Impreza Zarko 19.9 Quickish, heavy 102.1

17 4 Ford Focus Gazza 20.2 Nice to drive, strong magnet and brakes 91.3

18 54 Citroen C4 Brama 20.3 Well set up, strong brakes 85.2

19 1 Citroen C4 Mexico 2000 20.5 Body tight and no rock, quite heavy 99

20 44 Peugeot 206 Lenny Broke 20.6 V. strong magnet, rattly gears 82

21 12 Citroen Xsara Phoeno 29 20.6 V. strong magnet, quite quick but rattly 89.5

22 72 Hyundai Accent Devious Dave 20.8 Handles well, heavy 102.8

23 33 Ford Focus 20.9 V. strong magnet, not bad 88.2

24 83 Hyundai Accent malatwolves 21.1 V. strong magnet 91.6

25 5 Seat Cordoba OTFS 21.1 V. strong magnet, stable, heavy 101.9

26 17 Peugeot 307 Leo Capaldi 21.3 Noisy, but not bad to drive, quite heavy 98.5

27 58 Subaru Impreza Retromatt 21.3 Fine, nice to drive 94.6

28 59 Peugeot 307 Snurfen 21.3 Fine, nice to drive, heavy 105.9

29 51 Citroen C4 ScalexV8 21.5 A bit slidy, heavy 99.2

30 10 Subaru Impreza Miveson 21.6 Strong magnet, a bit sluggish, very heavy 113

31 6 Ford Focus FPV GTP 21.8 V. strong magnet, heavy 100.1

32 55 Citroen C4 LPV 21.9 No real oomph….but handled OK 87.2

33 2 Citroen C4 Sciri 21.9 No oomph, a bit sluggish 85.2

34 2 Peugeot 206 P Kalbfell 22 Strong magnet 92.5

35 11 Mitsubishi Lancer Ben M 22.1 Sluggish 92.9

36 43 Citroen Xsara Silver Rocket 22.3 Body solid, noisy and sluggish 95.3

37 74 Peugeot 206 Oldslot 22.4 V. strong magnet, strong brakes 96.5

38 88 Citroen Xsara Highlander 22.5 Quite slidy 96.6

39 50 Citroen Xsara Zero5 22.6 Gears rattly 96

40 9 Citroen C4 Ironman 22.8 Quite heavy, gears rattly 90.8

41 96 Peugeot 206 Syd 23.9 Strong magnet, loose handling, quite heavy 98.2

42 21 Peugeot 206 Haystack 24.5 V. strong magnet, slidy 91.1

Ooh. I like predictable. And thanks for weighing it. I didn't actually take any notice of where it finished up on the weight scale.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Well, I was curious as to what the cars weighed, as some felt really heavy and I was interested to see if weight might have any noticeable bearing on performance, given we were all using RX-81's.

When I did weigh them at the end, after I had completed all the running of them, some that I thought were heavy weren't and some were far heavier than I thought. Shows how much I know, just by holding them!

Not many of the heavy cars featured in the top dozen, though, excluding Alexis' Skoda and Jimmi's Lancer, but weight alone does not seem to be a decisive factor, the handling seems to be more critical.

However, I have also noticed a huge differential in power across the cars, given we are all using the same motor, with the top 11 cars displaying a good combination of speed and handling. Some of the lower cars were quite quick in a straight line, but handling wasn't so clever.

Still, that was only the initial shakedown without doing any preparation to the cars - and the tracks on which the stages will be run are more difficult, so all is still to play for...!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Must put my car on a diet - I didn't realise it was so heavy (urgh SCXProxy car is to heavy, OzRally car was to light) :)

Need to call next years car "Goldilocks" then mate.

How do these cars become high mag? Didn't think there wouldn't be that much variation in the motors, even though some rev a good 30-40% higher than others.

**EDIT** Sorry Dave, missed the content of your post due to timing. Glad we agree though!

Edited by snurfen
wosautos12.gif

Hi Martyn

I did the screwdriver on the motor test for magnetism, not absolutely accurate due to some motors having part of the chassis cage underneath them and some being exposed, so it's only a general guide. I've had cracking motors with brilliant magnets out of the box, and some that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, so it's a bit pot luck, to be honest!

I hope to get my motor tester working, out of idle curiosity, as there are significant differences, as I have said earlier, in speeds. If I do manage it, I will post my findings on here.

Cheers

Dave

I'd be really curious to see some stats on the motors if at all possible.

I know mine was just pot luck as it came in the car from Pendles. It was a car that was purchased as a cheap back up plan for my OzRally entry (which was also the cheapest rally car on offer at the time). I was rather happy to find that it was eligible for this and didn't get any 'running in' other than a bit of work when trying to get the gears bedded.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg