2013 Titles Are Where

Hi all

just wondering where and when 2013 aust titles are likey to be , know of a few of us who like to go , but all needs time etc , so any news ?? have heard vic but can anyone confirm this and when

cheers

toast

• 1 month later...

Any news of next years titles, would be great to atleast confim the date and location.

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

• 2 weeks later...

Any news of next years titles, would be great to atleast confim the date and location.

Ray

O.K.... lets stop and think about this. We have just had a very successful Australian Plafit Championships race generously sponsored by Ace hobbies and Plafit with the bulk of racers coming from NSW and Queensland. This years Scale Model Nationals got a good mix of S.A, NSW, Queensland drivers but with the exception of Greg Colgan Victoria has'nt supported either events. Purely based on "who's racing" from what state it seems to me that the next event should go to NSW or Queensland.

Unfortunately, Queensland, at this stage does'nt have a suitable facility so to my mind NSW should get the next gig.

Sorry Kim, but Dave Scriven was there for the 1/32 stuff as well. Not sure about other Victorians.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Guest jazzbell

Unfortunately, Queensland, at this stage doesn't have a suitable facility so to my mind NSW should get the next gig.

Now this is opened up i'll say what everyone wants,the 2013 Scale Model Nationals to go to NSW.

Reason No one wants to travel to Victoria is purely based on NO SUPPORT FOR SCALE RACING WHAT SO EVER.For the past 2 years the nationals have been the biggest events to date for the 1/32 and 1/24 racers and now it's going to a venue that doesn't even race not 1 class that we raced in the previous nationals.

If we look back to the numbers that raced last time at the scale nationals in Victoria it was pathetic,sorry it might be a commercial centre but we have to rely on back yard racers to make numbers.

The commercial centres in NSW and SA have big followings and the Queensland's are very happy to support racing in either state as they know numbers will be their and good scale tracks to race.

In australia we don't have an association for slot racers but this is all about to change. As i speak now an association is being formed from representatives from each state to work out rules and where and when events should be held. This will consist of people that are not commercial track owners.

Aus titles and aus plafit championship are two different beasts. Oh, you're right too, the plafit scene isn't too large here invicta least not when compared to brisvegas.

Hi Chris,

Might be two different beast, but plafit classes have been in every nationals from the day the nationals started.So it still holds a part for this event .

Yeah I hear the point. I'm pretty quick and haven't yet competed at the nationals, and I know of several guys, some of similar skill level that don't support the nationals either. There are always excuses for not racing, for me there's a couple. At mmr our classes are all pretty open so I'd have to buy cars specific to each class. I don't like or use mjk tyres so I have no data accumulation. Nothing frustrates me more than being defeated by a lesser driver with a stronger car.

I guess ultimately Shane I've raced against you in the six hour(not at the same time but you and tobias had some good battles and so do Toby and I), and I know I won't beat you just on skill, I need a perfect car, thorough track knowledge and the right barometric pressure :). I have a fair idea how much time and effort you put into your campaigns and I lack the motivation to put in the time and money. (Plus I'm not playing if I know I won't be in the hunt)

One day I'll make the effort, hopefully give you some competition.....

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

It was a lack of support from interstate that led to the low numbers at the last nats at MR.The first time that the scale nats were held at MR was on the same weekend that the 1/24 nats were held and many 1/24 racers like myself competed in both nats.A new track is being built for next years nats and there is plans to get plafit and 1/32 racingon a regular basis on the new track.As a regular flexi car racer i already have some plafit can-am and mini z cars ready and will also support other1/32 classes as i do run them on my on my home routed track.

Guest jazzbell

It was a lack of support from interstate that led to the low numbers at the last nats at MR.

new track is being built for next years nats

Tony have you or anyone from Victoria even asked why lack of support there was at the last scale model nationals in 2010 from Interstaters ? I'll tell you why,choice of classes and a track NO one wants to race on.

The last 2 nationals I've promoted for SA 2012 ,NSW 2011 we had more Interstaters at each of these events than the hole number of entries Melbourne had in 2010. The last 2 years the same classes and rules followed,s#!t we even had some classes with 30 plus entries.

Before the 2012 nationals was over I made my mind up not to help promote Melbourne in 2013 because I already know where the racers would like it to be in 2013. I've even got sponsors that have told me they will not support the event because they don't get support where it's to be held in 2013.

As for a new track going in the venue,wil believe it when we see it.

People want dates and classes now ,and the venue that is holding it can only say it will be sorted in a couple of months.So please tell me how does this event expect Interstaters when people need to plan ahead now.

Regards Shane a

Team thunderbird

• Upvote 1

Just need to know where when and what classes please.

Ray

• Upvote 1

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

Team Thunderbird

My vote - this thread gets 10 rotten tomatoes based on the bun fight that seems to have already started in the posts above .

Slotcar racing at ANY level is supposed to be fun , There is nothing to be gained by bad mouthing the people and any of the venues except to bring the hobby down

HI all

Thought I'd put an idea out there regarding future events ,prizes & trophy's........................just for your thought's as I think this could really help with entry numbers to any event.

Firstly............This years event held in SA, drew large numbers of racer's, but i do believe it could have had alot more. Some sloters didnt want to enter ,as I've overheard a few say "What's the point, we know who is going to win, and its not me" and considering the enrty fee for each class it would be a waste of time and money.

My IDEA...

The NATS recieve great support from slotshops,slotcar suppliers and importers alike, with some very rare,expensive, and useful prizes that alot of slotracers would love to own .My idea is Trophy's go to the place getters as it always has been, BUT the prizes are raffled to the entrants in that class. Everyone has a chance of winning something special !. Not everyone racer out there has the same budget as others, so a chance of winning one of these prizes, would be a HUGE advantage for entry numbers, and to our hobby with prizes going to people that could really use them.

Seriously if you knew that you had a chance of getting a prize that you really wanted or needed, would traveling or entering in that event be more tempting?

This is a great fun hobby, regardless if your a racer or collector,lets keep it that way and promote the hobby in a positive way

Just my two cents worth

Clevo

Edited by Cleveland

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

My idea is Trophy's go to the place getters as it always has been, BUT the prizes are raffled to the entrants in that class. Everyone has a chance of winning something special !. Not everyone racer out there has the same budget as others, so a chance of winning one of these prizes, would be a HUGE advantage for entry numbers, and to our hobby with prizes going to people that could really use them.

When I first started out with Plafit racing we used to do this in Qld. My first big race at Rattlesnake racway in Coomera with a Mini Z Grp C, a Can Am/ Historic and a 1/32 lexan Grp C (all still going strong), I came last in every event :P but every entry recieved a prize, there were new motors and a 1300 chassis given out, names were taken from a hat and everyone that entered got a prize. I went home with the 1300 chassis and this really got me involved in the sport, I now have 15 plafit cars and loads of great freinds in the sport........still come last though :lol: :lol: :lol::DB)

Seriously, if the entry fee was another $5 per class this would cover spot prizes of some sort and it encourages more people to get involved

I'm with Cleveland!

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Paul,

The random draw for prizes in the Qld rounds was my idea. I got it from when I used to race HO slot cars and we had a nationals and it was done there. I got flogged at my first HO nationals but walked away with a brand new Dremmel :D . I was wrapped.....

The reason we introduced it in Qld was that prizes were initially given to 1st 2nd & 3rd. Same guys won every round. But with the draw, all entrants got something. A big thanks to Werner from Ace Hobbies and Plafit for there support when we did this.

It would be good if we could reintroduce, as numbers have dropped a little (I am a little guilty there of not attending as much). It certainly bought the crowd. Even if not every one got a prize but a random raffle on those that entered the class. Just thoughts but unfortunately relies on the gracious support of sponsors... Times are a little tough...

Regards, Pete

Nomad Raceway Facebook Page

http://www.facebook....241533059220770

Edited by Richo99

Richo

Nomad Raceway

As stated above, slot car racing is supposed to be fun.

At an event of this level I do not care if I end up coming stone cold last, I'll still have a ball because I know I'm racing with Australia's best.

Sure, we all get serious at this level but enough with the drama, politics and bad attitudes.

In australia we don't have an association for slot racers but this is all about to change. As i speak now an association is being formed from representatives from each state to work out rules and where and when events should be held. This will consist of people that are not commercial track owners.

This is a great idea, a move like this is necessary to expand competitive slot car racing in Australia.

Now.... date, location, classes..... :)

Cheers,

Sammi.

Edited by Sammi

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

Hi all I don’t want to get involved with the politics of this apart from saying that an association is well overdue, however I would like to make the following comments.

Competing in these events is high on my list and many others at our club (TBird in Adelaide).

Having competed in the past two events has been fantastic not just for the racing but also meeting the other slot car tragics from around the country and can’t wait to catch up with them at their home tracks, Hornsby, Dapto, Dandenong, Armchair and Qld crews to name but a few. I am also looking forward to seeing others from around the country that I have not met yet.

When making a commitment to attend these events it does take a bit of planning, arranging leave, finances, negotiating with the other half, setting up cars, reading and understanding the rules for each class etc., so the more time and certainty the better. Planning for the last two took about 12 months and you nearly always run out of time setting up the cars for an event like these especially when you also club race up to twice a week.

A couple of racers that have done extremely well at the last two are form our club I won’t mention names but they worked and tuned almost exclusively towards these events at the expense of club racing. All the power to them they reaped there just rewards and deserved their great successes. The spin off at our club is now that the standard has been set to a very high standard and the range of car that we run has increase (Plafit, ScaleAuto etc).

Knowing the classes that are to be run is important and it would be great if there was some consistency from one Nats to the next. I appreciate that there will be a need to run a class or two to suit the local raceway but please don’t have a completely new set of classes at each even (and I am sure that this won’t be the case and supports the need for a national association). I have a full set of cars now suitable for the last two Nats but if I had to setup a completely new field of cars for the 12 -14 events for the next event I would find it extremely difficult to achieve this with short notice in terns of acquisition, tuning and testing. It would not be worth my time to travel to the other side of the continent just to run one or two classes. So it is critical to know dates and classes for me.

Knowing the track that you will be running on is also critical, gloss gooed track, ferridor, large sweeping layout or more technical? Tyres, weights, magnets will all need to be resolved and getting some local intelligence.

So to sum up please let us know where the event is to be held, when and what will be the classes and rule for the event.

Ray

Edited by Ratracer
  • Upvote 1

Team Thunderbird

Well said Ray, I agree with you and must reiterate that consistent classes throughout the years of the Nats is crucial to make the event popular.

You have to keep in mind that people build these cars with months in preparation. I for one have built cars in the last few months to the spec of this years nationals.... There is no point releasing completely new classes just a few months before the event.

Sammi.

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

I agree Sammi. As I said in a previous post allowing the super light Audi body (released only a month before the APC) to be raced with no gear restrictions or testing was way too close to the big event... but what is a reasonable time before a National event to "lock in" the rules and no new releases. Its impossible to control manufactures release dates and specs as we found with the Scale Auto motor problems.

I agree Sammi. As I said in a previous post allowing the super light Audi body (released only a month before the APC) to be raced with no gear restrictions or testing was way too close to the big event... but what is a reasonable time before a National event to "lock in" the rules and no new releases. Its impossible to control manufactures release dates and specs as we found with the Scale Auto motor problems.

Simple, once the rules are set for the year and the body list is complete, anything released during the year can not be used until the next year. this is how 1:1 racing works why would we want to be any different

The Association will sort things out - I'm all for this........

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09