Dulux Rock / Stone Effects Paint (Track Paint)

neil

Has annyone here tried or is using the Rock & Stone effects paint as a track surface,,, I am planinning to make a quik litle oval (part of last track) to trial this... the sample card's finnish seems to look alright & consistant with the grit ,,, though I & am having doubts to the consistancy of finnish from my aplications........

hopefully someone can give me their opinion on Grip or aplication with this.

Cheers.

Neil, I think the Dulux Suede effects is from this family of paints. I had a look at the sample cards and found the Pompeii Ash as recommended by Ember to really stand out as a likeness to a road pavement. I have only used it on my diorama so far so I cannot give you a reading in its grip level. However, considering some people go for anything from Ferradore to gloss, I'm guessing it would be somewhere in between.

It is definitely chalky without a top coat. Ember topped her's with a pot of Suede effects without tint. I'd imagine you could also use Cabot's eurathane?

IMG_4398.JPG

Edited by KarKraft

From the cards I looked at the Stone is much more textured than the Suede. Seems to contain a grit to give it texture. OntheFlipside will be best able to tell you about it if he's around.

I actually used a 'bright base' sample pot over my Suede. I chose it under OntheFlipside's recommendation when I asked him about a flat finished clear coat. I wanted to seal the surface so that tyre marks would show up.

Application will be similar to the Suede. I used a super soft brush (Taklon) to limit the texture to only that created by the paint, rather than the brush. Rolling would produce a much heavier texture and probably wouldn't give the visibly soft look of the suede.

Hopefully the Auslot paint expert will be along soon.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

My last track was Suede,,toped with Cabots semi/gloss,, all rollered,,no sanding between coats,,,,

It had reasonable grip,,though grip is not a big issue,,, I just like the looks of the stone and am considering it on the outside "D" track in a concrete colour,,, & either Stone or suede in a black asphalt colour for the inner track.

Its says to brush the Stone on the final coat,,, but I think I'll brush all coats,,,, though I am concerned about the grit bunching up in certain areas,,,, The last Grit product I tried was Jet Dry (an additive),,, I rolled this & was unhappy with my results as the grit was coming out of the roller very unpredictably/no consistancy. I guess I can only trial the Stone as I've already purchased the sample pot

The Stone grit doesn't wear that well and the grit will wear away in time and polish up plus the cars do not handle that well on it. The product used to be called River Rock and Yngwie tried it here on his track and sanded it off.

A product that has some potential is UltraGrip.jpg(available at Bunnings) and can go into most water based paints or clears. It provides a non slip surface to stairs, floors and decks etc. to meet Australian (and NZ) non slip various standards. Quite gripy without being "rough". I have used the product in demos but have not had time to try on a track but confident it would work.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

thanks for all opinions,,,,

as for the Stone/ River rock I really like the looks of the sample beneath the tyres of the car,,,, but for a racing surface it looks like old country road,,, & again I'm a bit sceptic of my abilities to get a consitant finnish with the grit... Grip was never a concern as there is always Cabots Clear........

I'm going to stick to the Suede with Cabots for the racing surface,& simply lighten or darken to suit....

& as for the sample pot of Stone already purchased,,it'll look good as gravel pathways through the track..

So, Mel, do you get a major bonus for the sudden increase in Suede sales?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Not everyone will get enough track paint out of a sample pot. One of the reasons I went the sample pot route was that I needed more than one colour.

The 'bright base' is a paint base for bright colours. :P At a guess it has no or minimal opacifiers in it so that the tint pigments are un-muddied by the paint base to which they are added allowing for intense and vibrant colour. Actually, the bright base does appear to have a very slight pearlescense to it which probably gives additional light reflection increasing the apparent vibrancy of the final coloured paint.

Mind you, this is all theoretical based upon observation of the product. Mel will no doubt confirm that this is, indeed, bulldust. :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

For a 13mtr. x 200mm track,,, I,ve got by so far with,,,

1/2 of Sample pot of "tuscan" suede.... has given me first coat to outside curcuit,,, then added some white & pompei ash to the remaining make 2nd coat,, a concrete looking surface,,(or grey).

Another sample pot of pompei ash for the 1st coat of the inner curcuit,, gonna have to grab another pot for 2nd coat due to the use in making the grey/concrete.

keep in mind the whole track & table has already been undercoated,,, & most will be sealed in Cabots clear..