Tasman Cup Finale. Australian Grand Prix 2012

Stubbo

After a flying visit to Gippsland for the sixth round of the series, the cars are now back in Melbourne for the final showdown.

The 7th and final race The Australian Grand Prix will be run this Saturday the 14th July at Cheltenham Park.

IMG_4796.jpg

Length: 24.8m (81.42’) Lane spacing 100mm (3.94”) Lanes: 3

Surface: Routed MDF, Satin enamel surface recessed copper braid.

Track will be run at 12V.

Timing: Trackmate

All going well qualifying should be on Wednesday night(unless work intervenes in which case qualifying will shift to Friday night).

Alan Stubbings

Qualifying is all done.

A few surprises and a few disappointments.

The American's are really flexing their muscles here. For some reason the Tassie cars just did not perform that well. Cant say why really but they just didn't seem to go that well. Maybe that might change on raceday.

I did the qualifying on the middle lane. The direction of travel was from the startline to the bottom of the picture in the post above. The car in the picture is going in the reverse direction. The race will be run in the same direction as qualifying.

Raceday is this Saturday.

Cheltenhamqualifying-1.jpg

Alan Stubbings

Well done Alan ! Looks like the Americans are gonna be hard to beat.... again. Certainly surprised to see Phil back in the field, he was on the pace at Cheltenham back in April. Its a fickle business this proxy racing and I guess you never know how it pans out on race day.

The race has been run and won.

first.gif Biedmatt

second.gif Mmmoose1 (fastest lap )

third.gif Slo1quick.

Congratulations to the podium getters.

This means the series goes to Slo1quick by a mere 4 points from mmmoose1 with Biedmatt a close third.

Our drivers today were Mike (rsclio), Alan, (Stubbo) and Chris (Manimmal). As you can see by the times Chris is a very good driver and got the best out of all the cars.

The day has been long. We will post up more info later.

Congrats to everyone.

CheltenhamResults.jpg

Alan Stubbings

Alan and Stu,

Congratulations on running an outstanding proxy series...I'm sorry my car wasn't ready in time although there's little doubt it would have been trailing far behind the top racers.

7 races in total with Matt winning 3, Ken and Stu winning 2 a piece and Stu on the podium in every race.

I sent this to Ken--I hope he'll appreciate it.

In the meantime, I think I need you guys to pick out the right SB motor for my VRAA entry.. you've got the winning touch.

Well it has been a long day. Many thanks to all the drivers for putting a stella drive! Well done Alan, Chris and Mike on your driving and to Tony, Brie and Matt for their valued marshalling ! Well done on the round Alan , that is one hell of a track !

Congratulations to Ken and Matt for making it a very close series and on your podium placement ! I really thought my Brabham had run out of odds on being a finisher on the podium for all seven rounds, and I must say Im very chuffed seeing it still has some legs and that the Cup is remaining on Tasman terra firma !

The cars were absolutely flying around and to break into the 6 second bracket is something to chase !

Thanks Guys !

Nice one Mark ! lol 14 rounds for the solarbotics and still going strong !

Thanks Alan and the driving team.

My car seems to have been consistent in performance.

What I cannot figure out is how some cars are up or down in performance at different rounds....baffling?

Maybe that is proxy racing.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi guys, these cars have got to be the best presented proxy cars I've ever had the privelidge of pushing. Thanks Stubbo for the opportunity to have a run on your layout, and what a great layout it is, there's something about a set of esses you can go through flat, great stuff. I'm a little inspired to enter nest year now, so it's time have a look at the rule book.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Here are some thoughts on the cars after the Cheltenham race.

#2 My car. Found a break in the chassis. I’ll use that as an excuse.

#3 Slo1quick. Once again a quick car. Just not quite as good or fast as the 1up chassised cars.

#4 Phil Kalbfell. A good car. Lost a front wheel in the first rotation. Otherwise it went well.

#6 Chenglaw. Same feel as the week before. Really had some speed but no brakes and a bit top heavy.

#7 Old23. The enigma mobile. Capable of some very fast laps but it was hard to maintain fast times consistently.

#8 mmmoose1. Really quick but felt very light. Otherwise very good.

#9 RIR. Nice and steady.

#10 Munter. Once again seemed to be coming on strong at the end of the season. Just lacked a bit of speed at this track.

#12 Mike Ackers. A good solid car.

#13 Mnewnes. Still does not like turning left but it was a bit better than last week.

#17 Stig. Again a good solid car that just went well and ended up in 4th place.

#18 Bantoft. Another car that seemed much better at the end of the series.

#22 SlotsNZ. Mark, I think you should play around with the weight amount and placement and see what difference you can get with the times. It was a good driver but I am sure the weight was the issue.

#26 Beidmatt. Even though I got the #8 car a bit further and a bit quicker I felt this car was a slightly better car to drive on this track. Don’t know why but it just felt good.

#47 Boss302. Nice and steady.

#50 Alexsis. Your car seemed to have a reasonable amount of speed but just would not go round the corners. I’m not sure what tyres you used but I think that was the main problem.

#69 Ferrari1950. Apart from the #26 this was the car I liked most. It seems the rear tyres were not glued or the glue had come loose and when the car went off the tyre had to be reset onto the rim and this cost a bit of time. Otherwise it was a really nice drive.

Alan Stubbings