New Club In Spello, Umbria

I'm delighted to announce that we are starting a new club at Capitan Loreto near Spello in Umbria. The track will be 40m Ninco, probably six-lanes, in an independent clubroom measuring 10m by 7m with toilet facilities. We have about 10 founder members and the club should open in October. We don't have a name for it yet.

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

Thanks John. I think we have all our eggs in a row on this and the club should thrive. The founder members are all committed and experienced slot racers including my mate Andi Rowland and Italian Champion Walter Merulli. I'll post pictures as soon as I can and keep you up to date on how it all goes.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm delighted to announce that we are starting a new club ........ with toilet facilities.

Where is the Bar? ;)

Congratulations and all the best - I'm sure it will go very well. CLUES

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

The contract is being signed with the mayor of Spello this coming week then it will be all systems go! I haven't seen the clubhouse yet, or even a photo but I will be helping with setting up the track. Initially it will be four-lanes then stepped up to six in October.

The reason the club will be called Gruppo Slottistico Perugino (Perugian Slot Group) is because we already have a club in Gubbio and the two clubs will form the group. Both clubs are in the Province of Perugia, before you ask!

We had a great race night last week with 16 drivers. I came 9th with a borrowed car and was pleased with that, given the high standard of drivers. I was the only foreigner and also the oldest one there by about 20 years!!

These were the results.

1) MERULLI W. - 170,83 Ford

2) MIRRA G. - 168,51 Ford

3) SCATENA M. - 164,57 Alfa Romeo

4) LEMMI A. - 164,44 Ford

5) DI EUGENIO G. - 158,45 Chapparal

6) MARILUNGO G. - 155,68 Ford

7) CARRARA E. - 153,5 Ford

8) D'ILARIO R. - 149,79 Alfa Romeo

9) LANE G. - 142,79 Ferrari

10) RINALDI A. - 141,95 Ferrari

11) MANZONI I. - 139,31 Alfa Romeo

12) ESPOSITO L. - 138,76 Alfa Romeo

13) LEPRI G. - 132,63 Alfa Romeo

14) ESPOSITO A. - 132,55 Ford

15) RENZINI M. - 124,44 Alfa Romeo

16) ARCIONI - 121,17 Ford

Individual qualifying laps put the drivers in either the heat 1 or 2 then each 8 battled it out with four minutes on each of the 8 lanes.

391475_3543628156963_1152527833_n.jpg

That's me, second from the left.

185917_3543632597074_1605636907_n.jpg

These are the top eight drivers in heat 1. My mate Walter Merulli and winner in lane 2.

557541_3543626156913_811828550_n.jpg

These are the cars. This is the biggest track in Umbria - eight lanes and 40 metre lap. The design is identical to the tracks (6 of them) used for the national finals, so great to practice on! Yes, that's 48 drivers at a time all racing against each other with the results shown on a big screen.

Mohawkk, yes we do accept Orstralians, and I'd be happy to take you racing at one of our clubs when you come over.

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

• 2 months later...

Finally, our club room is all signed up. We had a cleaning session last week to which I couldn't go because of the Italian round of the SCX WRC, but I'm going tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. I'll take some photos of the room.

Walter Merulli has offered up some designs for the track on the GSP Facebook page. Initially we shall have a four-lane circuit but within a few months that will be changed to a six-laner. It all looks good. We shall have an inauguration to which even my wife wants to come, without any prompting from me! :o

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving on. The club will be known as GSP Spello, sister club to GSP Gubbio, shown in the pictures above.

The club room has been cleaned and decorated, the track has arrived (in two trucks), and the assembly has begun.

The track will be six-lanes from the beginning with a lap length of 36 metres. I've been over a couple of times to help and I was really impressed with the size and quality of the room. It's actually 10m x 9m. We expect to open within a couple of weeks.

The entrance doors

105entrance_zps939ed0f0.jpg

Cleaning the room

110floorcleaning_zps92819190.jpg

Unloading the track

135unloading_zpsca5e3097.jpg

Setting up the track

145assemblingthetrack_zps306a1a8d.jpg

This is the design. The missing pieces are yet to be bought.

143finaltrackdesign_zps8d398723.jpg

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

Good grief, you have to race against Walter...... so what is the ethos of club something like - "who's going to try for 2nd place this week?"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Walter is my mentor. There is nothing, but nothing, he doesn't know about slot cars. I can stay with him for about five laps of the Gubbio circuit and then I run out of talent and fall off. This guy is supremely quick. Our war-cry is 'Senna Leads, Senna Leads'!

...this is the BIG one!

• 3 weeks later...

Setting up the new track is well underway.

381875_3905319839029_1181071458_n.jpg

302751_4850026017968_35958014_n.jpg

74709_4850019177797_2134123072_n.jpg

535468_4850021377852_239741949_n.jpg

There's a slight change to the original design as it was felt there were too many 'chicanes'. It works out at 38 metres lap length.

...this is the BIG one!

• 2 months later...

Yet another move!

It's been a long and difficult road to setting up our new club. The club room we were promised in the basement of our local bar never happened. :angry: Then our local sports and community centre were going to move and convert the temporary church as a dedicated slot car club. That didn't happen either. :angry:

For the last two years my track, Castellano, has been in storage unused except for the last Mini Mille Miglia and the Italian round of the SCX World Rally Championship last October. The plan was to get it out of hiding for the Mini Monte Carlo next October but......things have been happening recently.

About three years ago we also bought a four-lane Ninco track from a club at Brescia in the north of Italy. That had also been sitting in storage waiting for a club room to be found.

Then, last October, we found what appeared to be the perfect place (see above). :rolleyes: A room of about 100m2 (1,000sq ft) for 50 euros per month. It seemed ideal except there wasn't enough room for my own track. :angry: We started installing the six-lane Ninco track and just as it was being finished off the rain came and we found the room suffered from damp, big time! :angry:

We were really disappointed but at just the right moment one of our members found the dream location :wub: - the ground floor of the Martellini car dealership in the grandly-named Palazzo di Assisi, just outside Assisi itself! The room is 400m2 (4,000sq ft), built about five years ago and never been used! Super smooth floor, loads of light, masses of parking, dry as a bone, toilet with bidet and shower, two huge entrance doors (one with a pedestrian door in it) and even an alarm system! All for just 200 euros per month or 20 euros per head for ten of us, or 5 euros each per week. I can't believe it! You couldn't wish for a better club room.

All this happened on Monday and already the Ninco track has been dismantled ready to go. We shall be transferring it today and then my own track will be moved over. One of our members has aPolistil track and that will be set up too, probably for beginners to use. All that will only occupy half the space available so we could have a shop and a bar there too. I think this will be the best club in Italy!

Here are some photos of the new club room:

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0045-1.jpg

Edited by Graham Lane

...this is the BIG one!

Very nice...

Congrats on the find...

Can't wait to see it fully fitted out...

You've got to be happy with that, and a great find, so do you get access to the top floor as well for overnight stays

Is this the location for the MMC

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Envy seems to small a word to use as I read about your new clubrooms.

Can you meet me off the train next week, I have a bit of extra luggage - 2 dismantled routed tracks, a couple of hundred cars, and a camp bed and stove. I'm not fussy about space I'll just set up home on one corner - just tell me which corner, so I don't cramp where you are putting the bar. :)

- Even the locality, the windows and siting at a car dealership, all give a great advertising to your club for bringing new memmbers through the door

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Fantastic Graham. See . . . . above all the black clouds the sun is shining. ;)

We just need to get above the clouds some of our club rooms consist of a Duck Farm, a cattery local thieves etc or the length of Italy apart <_<

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 2 years later...

excellanto,so what happened ? did u get it all up and running smoothly.need an excuse to visit Italy sometime .more pics please as i see the last post was on jan 2013.i know things move slowly sometimes in the boot.cheers mate

Edited by pieguy

The older i get, the faster i was.