New Routed Track, Help With Paint!!

fat jess

Hi guys,

Sorry to start this thread with a question and no pictures, However pics will be put up once i progress a bit further.

Firstly Table dimensions are 4.8m x 2.4, 3 lanes, 90mm spacing. Its my first crack at this so it can only get better from here.

My question is what paint for the surface? The track is located in an outside shed with no heating/cooling so it is going to be subjected to a fair temp range. I have gathered that Ferrodore highly recommended on this forum. My second question is what primer or undercoat have people used with this and if it has "delaminated" as the sales rep at the local Dulux store reckons that the solvent my unbind the glue that holds the mdf together. Can I please have a difinative answer on what to use so i can give you sloters some pics.

Thanks in advance

I sealed mine with a MDF undercoat , dulux if I remember correctly. The surface is largely user prefernce, Ferrodore can

be highly abrasive and if you have searched other posts you wil have seen that comment. On most of the tracks Ive raced

on Ferrorore has been the choice in the V32 group. Perhaps the other question you should ask is would you use Ferodore

again on your next track?

Where are you based, perhaps you can hook up with some one and do a few laps and make your own mind up.

Regards

Rob

Use a mdf primer sealer , the guy at the store should have known that .

First - What tyres are you using ?

I have used a lot of different paints over the years and to be honest the cheapest way is water based paint with a tub of patio grip mixed in . Ferrodore is ok but ex[pensive and as far as I know its still only available in 4 litre cans , go for the less abrasive enoch grey - its the lighter grey colour .

Blackboard paint is ok as well , I prefer water based myself as its easy to clean up , tint it with some ceiling white to get the grey tint road colour that you want . One thing though is blackboard paint isnt water proof as far as spilling something on the track goes - cabots clear over the top will help seal and protect it and it grips ok as well

If its in an open air environment ( carport ) you should probably go for a oil based paint and paint the whole track ( underneath as well ) , my track is in a shed with no insulation anywhere . The track grows and shrinks with tempature changes - that cant be helped unless your bank manager will lend you the cashola to insulate and air condition the shed

Hope that helps a bit

Here's a big statement. "Ferrador isn't the only paint for tracks" :)

Choice of paint might be best made by looking at other tracks around you. If you're likely to be racing with a group of folks on a range of tracks then it's probably best to go with whatever is the most common surface in the group. Sure, this may be Ferrador, but it may not.

Admittedly, I'm still running on plastic track, but I've just painted it with Dulux Suede and the surface not only looks good, but hooks up well and is improving with each use.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

What ever you finish up using as the racing surface use a good quality water wash up Sealer Undercoat then

anything will go over the top of that - even Ferrador will go over that. BTW, MDF paint is just a water based

sealer undercoat in another can. I have also used flat and low sheen acrylic wall paints straight on MDF and

then turps or water based over that.

The guy in the trade center is sort of right. Solvent paints (eg: Mineral Turps) react to the resin in MDF and can tend to take a long time to dry, make the top coat stay "cheesy", mud crack or have little fish eyes/craters pop up. Never experienced it delaminating though.

What Embs did is a great and economical option. Also used here http://www.auslot.co...st-hills-track/

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Well said Ember! I think I am right is saying that all the club tracks in Tassie are finished in products other than

Ferodor! My track is probably the only track with Ferodor and that has 3 coats of Cabots clear over the top to cover up the grit effect.

Most are using satin or gloss enamel with nothing added. The guys in NZ are racing on high gloss. So if you are going to run with a club see what the other tracks are running.

The guy who routed my oval (sadly no longer in the hobby) ran his own kitchen renovation company and he told me not to worry about undercoat, just make sure I gave it a light sand before painting to remove any grease etc. I masked off the bit over the slot then 3 coats of paving paint with non skid sprinkles in it. This allowed the copper tape to glue straight onto raw mdf. I did this back in July 2008 and no issues with the surface, even the tape has no maintenance. I just routed a 3 lane track to replace my Scalextric and was going to use paving paint again but was offered Ferradore for free. Did the same as before by taping over the slot and rolled one coat on but it doesn't feel like Ferradore, kinda like grippy blackboard paint. I'm sure I stirred it enough but somehow it's not as abrasive. Had two meetings on it and both Clubs really enjoyed it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris.

Late Model

Track is built on a steel rhs frame 50mmx25mmx2mm RHS and 25mmx25mmx1.6mm RHS and will be hinged and folded against the wall.

The next issue that I face is power supply and controllers. What do I need?

The only car i have at this point in time is a parma with a 16d motor (with more to come) and a few old scalextric controllers which i am happy to replace.

I would also like to the volts/amps variable so my little girl can have a go on the track aswell as the adults.

Please put me in the right direction, need the help as I'm new to this stuff. I have a dick smith store nearby or am happy to support a forum sponsor :D for my power supply etc

FJ, welcome.

I see you have posted in the Vic section so for controllers

And power supply you can try Mobile raceways in Dandenong.

I use Parma econo controllers on my track Normally 25-45 ohm will do.

Track looks good, we're in Vic are you situated?

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Well said Ember! I think I am right is saying that all the club tracks in Tassie are finished in products other than

Ferodor! My track is probably the only track with Ferodor and that has 3 coats of Cabots clear over the top to cover up the grit effect.

Most are using satin or gloss enamel with nothing added. The guys in NZ are racing on high gloss. So if you are going to run with a club see what the other tracks are running.

Hi Phil

I am thinking about a similar surface to yours for a hire track and would to know how you would describe the texture of the surface after you applied the cabots (cabothane) and did it make much difference applying the extra coats. I have read a review from John at Fulham Park Race where he did the same. Does anyone else have any comments to add. We only run rubber tyres so I am looking a mildly coarse surface that is not so harsh on the bodies or chassis (something similar to a Ninco track surface I guess you could say).

Mat

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

FJ, welcome.

I see you have posted in the Vic section so for controllers

And power supply you can try Mobile raceways in Dandenong.

I use Parma econo controllers on my track Normally 25-45 ohm will do.

Track looks good, we're in Vic are you situated?

David

The track is located in GIppsland

Hey FJ, it's nice to know there are tracks around if I ever feel the urge to go and visit my brother. He's in Churchill these days, but he's been through most of Morwell and Traralgon. Come to that, I had a boyfriend who lived in Shakespeare St and I did some time at 3GCR but that seems like almost a lifetime ago.

And the track seems to be coming on a treat.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please post up some pics of how to power up my copper strips as I am at this stage of the build or point me in the right direction for a link etc. Have made taping tool for tape application. I have heard of people using countersunk head brass/copper bolts through the mdf and coper tape. Your help is appreciated.

Cheers

I haven't got any photos but what I did on an earlier track was to insert the brass c/s bolts adjacent to the copper strips then soldered to the edge of the tape/bolt. Keep flush then paint over with track paint

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Not sure what you are actually asking about! But assume you would like to know how to connect tape to the track wiring ?

If so there are several methods, 1/8 brass counter sunk metal thread screws thru the tape and track looked up with nuts and washers underneath and wires connected to the bolts. Best IMO.

Tape end passed thru a slot on the MDF and wires soldered to the tape under the track.

Small slot in the MDF surfaces and the wire passing thru the track soldering the wire to the tape on top.