Penelope Pitlane Lotus 72

sunbeammadd

• 2 weeks later...

The first headache I've had is that the guide supplied in the kit wasn't much use. It had a very long shaft and there's not much clearance in the nose so I wound up with the front wheels something like an inch off the track. Rummaging in my spare parts turned up a guide with a short shaft. Much better, but it's still going to be a tripod. I can't really see a solution to this. I think I'll probably have the same problem whichever guide I use. My past attempts at scratchbuilding a chassis were fairly disastrous, so not sure I want to go down that path again.

I guess PP had earlier GP cars with tall front wheels in mind when they designed their chassis. It doesn't quite work with the tiny wheels on 70s models.

IMG_0957.jpg

Russ

Hi, just a stab in the dark here but could you change it from a guide 'shoe' to a guide 'pin'? Wondering if you cut down the stem to a stub and aradited it to the chassis from the top, then dremelled the part of the guide that goes in the slot to a pin shape at the front.

Chris.

Late Model

I suppose before I do anything else I should drop into my local slot shop and see if he has any guides in stock that would sort this. That SC10 is definitely worth a try. Failing that it might be possible to improve things with my dremel. Thanks guys.

Russ

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost there now.

d9fc9e9f-2507-40aa-bfc1-4a29ab0edde8.jpg

I've still got a little bit of work to do to Ronnie's helmet and I haven't yet figured out how to attach the end of the exhaust system.

The ride height was sorted out by fitting a Scaleauto SC1607 with the shaft trimmed down. It's nice and deep too.

The kit came with a rear light which I found a bit too fiddly to glue on with my fingers. So I tried tweezers. The last I saw of it it was shooting off toward my track at high velocity. Oh well!

Russ