Front axle: Slot.It 3/32" 50mm with the Pioneer rear axle bushings (the ones with the oil holes) and 15x8 CB Design steel wheels, fitted with Slot.It zero tyres. Braced front axle mount with styrene square rod and 0.010" card. See photo. Card section cut slightly with sanding drum to allow wires to pass over easily. Bushes glued to bush mountings and the styrene reinforcers. Join between card and rod glued with both super glue (rear) and polystyrene cement (along the front). Combined with leaving the two tabs from the bonnet to the front axle mount intact this front axle should be as bulletproof as a Pioneer gets.
Guide: Slot.It SICH10 screw fit guide fitted with the new Pioneer conversion from B-NOVA, 1/32" plate plus small PVC spacer included specifically for Pioneers. Bob has instructions for this on his forum at SCI. You need to use a couple of drill sizes (SAE) to enlarge the guide post to take the B-NOVA conversion, you just twist these through with your fingers (I actually hold the drill and rotate the chassis on it!). Will fit Slot.It brushes and eyelets, with new wires back to the standard motor. The door on the chassis has been replaced with another one from my parts box and the original wiring loom and door just put to one side as it is mint.
Rear axle: Slot.It 3/32" 48mm with Slot.It brass bushings set up using the Slot Car Corner bushing alignment kit for Slot.It bushings and glued in place. 15x11 CB Design steel wheels with 1007 Yellow Dog urethanes from SCC. Slot.It 1936 lightweight spur, and NSR 7112 pinion fitted to the standard 18K QS Typhoon, which has been hot glued in. Of course I aligned the axle after the motor was glued in, but I made sure the pinion was lined up nicely with the spur first. This alignment kit cost me something like $8 from Nick at Nichobbies, who did a special order for me when I was buying something else, so I got out of some expensive shipping (the SCC set up block was with the same order - I polished it today so as to make checking the front tyre clearance easier). I don't need to use any spacers between the bushing and the spur for the alignment to be perfect, thanks to my MB Slot puller and press. The puller even allows adjustment when in the chassis if needed, but only to increase clearance. Thankfully I didn't need to.
Body and interior mods: I gave the primer patches a light sanding with 1000 grit to dull them. I found out that the primer patches are actually quite thin, and the red one did wear through a bit. The interior has been sightly modified underneath. I ground away the interior mounts as I do not run those screws and I wanted the body to be able to float a bit if necessary. I also cut away part of the interior tray under the rear wheel arches to increase clearance, but these is not visible when the car is assembled. If you have one of these Chargers you will notice a wheel cut away in the side panels of the interior. I basically cut that section away more.
Here are some photos.
Edited by Burglar, 25 June 2012 - 01:16 AM.