Push To Pass

neil

dont know if this has been discused before.... A new track build is due shortly & I can't help but think in advance about the power suply options,,,.

Has anyone covered the posibility of a button to add more volts than the normal setting,,,

eg. racing on 7volts & a button to add an "extra" 3 volts... Same again if racing on 9volts or 10volts,, the push of the button would add an "extra" 3volts.

other thoughts with this idea are,,,,

1). a limited amount of suply/time,,,, as if it were nitro or push to pass..

2). a very slow recharging of extra,,,, to simulate KERS.

I know that I could set the desired Max voltage & then split the power by 2 suply lines to the controler,,,,

1st main suply > limited by diodes > to Controler

2nd Max suply > through button to >controller.

As for my thoughts or knoledge of stored energy,,, bateries,,, or,,, capacitors...???????

Does anyone here have any experiance or thoughts with this sort of electrics?

Yes Neil,i have seen these types of set ups before,they are also known as THE ELECTRIC CHAIR.only difference is it pumps about 40000 volts at the push of a button.

I was thinking of,,,,, "push to Pass" another car,, Not "push to Pass" to the other side :mellow:

Diodes as per Phil's suggestion would be simplest, but all that would happen is everyone would either hold down the appropriate button or wedge it.

Having some kind of system using a capacitor that only trickle charges, then supplies the extra voltage for just a few milli-seconds then took 10 or 15 seconds to re-charge would be the ideal implementation.

- But i have no idea how you'd acheive that.

When we're racing hard in non-digital, the slightest distraction costs lap time anyway, and a sudden surge of voltage is another potential cuase for mis-timing braking, and de-slotting; so the advantage of such a system may not be very great.

Would the thrill of the system last, or would it end up a a gimmick that everyone got bored with after a few days . . .

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The idea of having something that has to take a bit of time to recharge is good , something that was hard wired and always available would probably take away the drivers skill as far as using it at the right time .

If a driver had to wait and use it only once per lap he / she would need to judge where its best to use that bit of extra power to his best advantage , that would bring a bit of driving skill into the game rather than to have it always available to defend or just blast faster along the tracks main straight every lap .

It would bring a bit of thinking into the race and probably make it more competitive if every driver you have is running with really close lap times already .

Most of the guys racing on my oval track with the two squeeze lane sections were a bit concerned at first with crashes happening because of the squeeze but now that they have played around on the track a lot most are enjoying the challenge of timing their passing manouvre - your push to pass idea would probably be similar as far as the regular drivers go , if you make it a switch on option its easy enough to switch of if they dont like it . Nothing ventured nothing gained huh

How to do it ? Sorry I have no idea but I would probably try to make it something thats located at the drivers station rather than looking at a switch / button option on everyones controller only because some may not want to modify their controller if they think it will just be a short lived novelty

Would a switch to a micro timer that runs through a relay to a secondary power supply do it ? A storage capacitor is a good idea as far as limiting its availability , I would be careful where its mounted so kids sticky fingers couldnt accidentially find it when it was charged up

Im quite interested to see where this thread leads

Edited by BMR

I have seen those "desk top" racers that have short bursts and take a little while to recharge, like 20secs or so.

Don't know if it's the same technology but it is the same principle.

CHEERS

GARRY

HOKEY POKEY ANONYMOUS ....... A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN TURN YOURSELF AROUND

My originally thoughts were to have the "push to pass" buton mounted at drivers stn in/on an eletrical box... this way any further mdifications could be added or removed easily,,,

as Slotz NZ sugested with trikle charging a capacitor, is exactly what I was heading for,,, plus,, also a swith to stop the recharging so boost is limited..

I'm sure the novelty of this excercise could very well be short lived,,, though my initial idea stemed from the "Carrera Go" controllers, where the thumb controlled resister would control 75% of Max Voltage & the red button would deliver 100% power with no adjustment,,,at the time I had the power restricted by a self made power adjuster using diodes for non magnet 1/43 scaled cars,,,, and I never got bored of it,,, I actually miss it.,,,especially cause there was no brakes wired in.

My next track though I'm not certain will either be a 3 lane with squeezes,, or a simple 2 lane... and going by the track I'm running on now, the drivable Voltage would be around 7volts (apart from the SCX motors which seem to need more to get going).. which is part of the reaoning aswell.

So I guess my next step is to visit Jaycar & see what they have for how much,,,,,, if too expensive I could always wire up the Parma turbo controllers to act simular to the Carrera Go set up.

cheers for the input so far,, everyone.

I'm not an electronics guy so forgive the relay logic. Running at say 10v which I think is about minimum you could have a reversing relay attached to a separated "left hand" button which runs at say 12v and up. Even a small 7 AH 12v battery connected to a trickle charger would be Ok for that.

Some controller have left handed buttons so nothing new for hand/eye there.

Using double pole relays the action of pressing the button can be wired to "lock out" the other lanes boost. Or not as the case may be. I am sure someone more clever than me could devise a timing and counting circuit using an IC to limit use to say 5 times per lane per race. Reset by cycling the track power off at the end of each race.

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

I'm not an electronics guy so forgive the relay logic. Running at say 10v which I think is about minimum you could have a reversing relay attached to a separated "left hand" button which runs at say 12v and up. Even a small 7 AH 12v battery connected to a trickle charger would be Ok for that.

Some controller have left handed buttons so nothing new for hand/eye there.

Using double pole relays the action of pressing the button can be wired to "lock out" the other lanes boost. Or not as the case may be. I am sure someone more clever than me could devise a timing and counting circuit using an IC to limit use to say 5 times per lane per race. Reset by cycling the track power off at the end of each race.

Ah you lost me @ relay,,, & when I read ''double poles'',, I could'nt stop thinking about semi naked girls & I was craving a bourban..... I think I'm definately gonna have to take a trip to JAYCAR..

.,, I could'nt stop thinking about semi naked girls & I was craving a bourban..... I think I'm definately gonna have to take a trip to JAYCAR..

smiley_shock.gif Or the bathroom for a cold shower.

• Upvote 1

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

drivable Voltage would be around 7volts

I cannot believe that you run cars at this voltage!

A capacitor, with a resistor to slow the charge time should work.

But IMO having the button on the control panel and trying to operate it will just too hard,unless you have a long straight.

drivable Voltage would be around 7volts

I cannot believe that you run cars at this voltage!

A capacitor, with a resistor to slow the charge time should work.

But IMO having the button on the control panel and trying to operate it will just too hard,unless you have a long straight.

7volts for most of cars because,,,, the current track dosent have any decent length straights,, the tyres hook up prety good to the surface which leave for very litle reaction time and hardly any time on the full speed part of the trigger..... 7v still makes the cars agressive in acceleration (unless its the Slotit controller) & I still have to carress the trigger in & out of the corners for the decent lap times.... I do test the race cars @ 12-13v but its pointless on my track

I had a look at your profile Neil , I was looking for a picture or two of your track , can you or someone please put a link on this thread to a picture . Just for convenience really for other readers as well as me

Thanks

Hi these are the tracks I've had in the past ,,,in their order,,,, the last being the current fix to my addiction,,,

this was my 1/43 scaled Carrera Go,,,,,, blast of a track,,,so much on a table of 2.4x 1.8 mtr's,,,,, ran no mag. with home made variable power

006.jpg005-1.jpg

this is a link to my 2nd build

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13125-mt-pritchards-4-cornered-oval/page__fromsearch__1

link to 3rd

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14245-my-3rd-attempt/page__fromsearch__1

this was my 1st major attempt at routing,,, but never finnished

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14507-neils-4th-attemptthis-time-its-routed/page__fromsearch__1

& this is the now,,, table sixe back down to 2.4x1.8mtr

lastesttrack001.jpg

& this is what I'm planning on a slightly larger table,,, 2.5x2.1mtr.... infeild track & racing line not finalised as yet still toying..

theplan001.jpg

Yes Neil,i have seen these types of set ups before,they are also known as THE ELECTRIC CHAIR.only difference is it pumps about 40000 volts at the push of a button.

I was thinking of,,,,, "push to Pass" another car,, Not "push to Pass" to the other side :mellow:

Sorry mate the temptation to say something was to hard to let pass by....excuse the pun.

Sorry mate the temptation to say something was to hard to let pass by....excuse the pun.

went down to Jaycar this afternoon talking about capacitors & timers with the results that I was after & the results that these would give & the work involved,,, its not simple & wont give the desired effect,,,,, so I think i'll can this idea..

Cheers for posting the photos Neil , I have been following the most recent build .

I got a laugh out of Digbys comment about running magnets on the high track elevtion I think it was the 3rd track ( when its stored at the 90 degree angle ) :lol: