Race Coordinator

Race Coordinator Digital (For Ssd)

John,

Do you run on a laptop or have one? If you do, you could move just the power base and dongle to different locations and check the new transmission graphs to see how they do. You don't actually have to have a car moving around a track. All you need to do is figure out the minimum set of things needed to get that transmission graph to work. Heck you could start on your track. Check if the graphs work with no car on the track. Then with no track power. With any luck you'll find you only need the power base, dongle, and controller and you can move those to various locations to try out...

I'm suggesting that because it might be easier than lining your walls and if you prove it works well somewhere else, that proves there is an interference problem in where your track is so lining your walls might work...

This is just another way to attack the problem. You should do whatever is easiest first.

Hi Drifter

Tested 2 scorpius controllers last night and all seemed fine no jerkyness or interference from either signal.

www.gtlslotcaraccessories.com

Setup my wife's Dual core Laptop last nite and plugged in the Required cables and put on RCD to test my issues and found that it is no different on the laptop than the desktop as usual the graph would stay above 18 when close to dongle and holding controller out in front of me but when holding the controller close to my body with the 2nd hand close by for pressing the LC button it would occasionally spike down as low as 2, it would also spike down this low and more often when walking further way from dongle with controller held out in front of me. Also tried taking a car for a spin felt ok when over the top of the dongle but standing about 4m from dongle outside front tilt a door but basically still next to the track and car was virutally undriveable and i dont have enought flat sheets of anything to enclose a 6mx6m area to try fix the cabin effect

Edited by Johnsxr8

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Hi John,

full marks for patience and perseverance.

This is a tricky one, it works fine with ssdc suggesting a glitch with RCD, however all the symptoms suggest a signal / interference problem .

I have a similar shed to you and some of my cheapo RC planes go nuts in the shed, but outside well away from shed, work fine.

Are you using a ssd powerbase or wireless chipped car?

Can you (is it possible to) take the car, controller, laptop, power supply and powerbase if applicable, and test signal graph away from shed?

The car can be upside down and connected with some short wires to power supply it if not using ssd powerbase.

Side note; My radio works fine until I plug in my cordless drill battery charger. Then its music-free static.

So it may be that some electrical interference is coming from an old fridge, flouresent lights. Anything on the same circuit as your track.

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

John,

Is your body made of led? :D I'm curious why things get so much worse for you just by putting the controller down close to your body. I'm not surprised the PC changed didn't make a difference. The poll rate is the same no matter how fast your PC is, it's a matter of how much data I catch in that poll... As I see it (and I could be wrong), your only other test possibility is to get your power base and a single track segment out of your shed and somewhere different so that you can test in different environmental locations. That way we can 100% rule out the hardware. It's almost 100% certainly something in the shed environment (cabin affect or whatever), but an exchange (which I'm not even sure is possible) is the only other test I can think of, and it's a long shot.

Unless I'm mistaken he has the same/similar issues with SSDC. That was one of the first things we checked out.

This is a tricky one, it works fine with ssdc suggesting a glitch with RCD, however all the symptoms suggest a signal / interference problem .

Cabin effect is only a guess, it probably is not the cabin effect but worth mentioning. So if we can figure out the differences between Glen and Johns set up we can have something to work on. Something basic.....are the batteries newish? It could be a suss radio crystal on the controller PCB,,,,,etc

We can also try extending the antenna as long as it is in multiples of the original length. Lots of things to try yet.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Unless I'm mistaken he has the same/similar issues with SSDC. That was one of the first things we checked out.

My humble apologies Dave , I misread a previous post ,getting mixed up with Glen's situation. Sorry mate :-)

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Yeah i have new batteries in the controller and another fresh set waiting to go in. And yeah dave it is weird when i have it close to me it loses signal but i am also putting my 2nd hand around the area of the controller casing where it also looks to be the antenna area on the circuit board of the controller so i am guessing that my hand covering that area affect the signal in some way but also when you get around 4m away it does not matter what you are doing with the controller the signal becomes really bad, also in testing earlier this year the signal seemed to be better when the casing was not on the controller. I did sit the laptop outside the shed and test but i can move the powerbase as the trackpiece is removed from the PB and is embedded into my track.

Edited by Johnsxr8

Actually the only thing you should have to do is move the laptop and USB dongle. I'm not sure what the SSD setup screen will do if it can't talk to the power base, but if the graph is updating and you're outside, then you can try moving just the lap top (disconnected from the power base) to other locations.

If you moved that outside, then you should be able to run the controller graph tests outside to see how it does at different distances. Unless you're standing under some super high voltage power lines, it seems like you shouldn't have too much interference out there. You certainly wouldn't have cabin affect...

John PM me your address. It could simply be a suss controller.

Rick

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Actually the only thing you should have to do is move the laptop and USB dongle. I'm not sure what the SSD setup screen will do if it can't talk to the power base, but if the graph is updating and you're outside, then you can try moving just the lap top (disconnected from the power base) to other locations.

If you moved that outside, then you should be able to run the controller graph tests outside to see how it does at different distances. Unless you're standing under some super high voltage power lines, it seems like you shouldn't have too much interference out there. You certainly wouldn't have cabin affect...

Yeah mate i tried the Laptop and dongle outside of the tilt a door

OK while testing and sorting out my pc/crashing while using rcd , it appears to be either a audio or video driver error needs updating more to come on that one.

Some ideas i have for RCD

As we have ghost cars already, i would like to see an option in driver setup under ghost for a specific number of laps for a ghost car to run before it starts counting laps,

This would equate to time spent in pits refuelling for a human driver .I am aware that we can already change lap sections prior to a race and after but you have to adjust every race you run and ghost cars generally stay ghost cars so would make life easier and enhances racing alone and with others using ghost cars which then would not just be traffic.

At the end of a race have power off to track for a longer amount of time as at the moment when racing for the finishline the car stops slightly then power returns and when

your sqeezing the throttle still it tends to shoot the car off, depending on you track of course and where you are when the race finishes it can end in disaster,Im not sure why power returns to human drivers only though?.

Allow for race manager to delete a pit stop as some times the first pitpro sensor is missed and when leaving pits the in pits is engaged but the car has now entered the track

so would be handy to be able to remove/end and also add a lap if required.

make race screens used over sevral displays resume selected postion when restarting a race or event.At the moment if i end a race and return back to race day setup screen and then restart a race i have to select them again and then it goes to last know position, can be painfull if using countdown as while waiting for race to initiate im now clicking on race director clicking screens to get them back to where they were.

OK tested with hd audio conextant driver thingy updated and ran 10 races last night no crashes so hopfully have sorted .

One more suggestion Dave would be to have settings for the pits to keep the pacers out so that they only change lanes in certain part of the track other wise you have to turn the lane change of, which defeats the purpose of having it there. If possible in .1 or .5 of second adjustments would be good as there are many different set ups for pits.

cheers

Glen

oh im still trackin down that flippin driver again i had the bsod stop error last night more delving to find the culprit,

Make sure that your BSOD is not caused by something as stupid as bad thermal paste on either the CPU or GPU...

We used to get that alot with the older Dells (both laptops and desktops)... That and the dreaded 'bloated caps'...

The biggest problem with bad thermal paste is that you can't feel the temp that the cpu is actually running at. The heatsink feels cold...

An approiate form of temp logging app for you Motherboard should be able to provide temps for the cpu / gpu / case...

Cheers Shadow rusty , It only happens when im running Rcd so im pretty sure it wont be hardware, not 100% but .

Exciting news. Well, maybe I'm the only one excited, but still... I just updated RC, RCD, and the SRMS with full live web update support. I also posted the current state of the live web update HTML/JS code to my download section. This means anybody that wants to can now make their RC run races available to any device with a web browser.

A very long (17 minute) video can be seen here. It's shaky because I'm using a hand held camera and I get long winded, but I wanted to show off the mobile devices. The video shows the live web updates on a PC browser, iPad, and an iPod Touch (which is smaller than today's smart phones).

To use live web updates you need the latest version of the RC, RCD, SRMS software and you need HTML/JS files. Our very complete sample can be pulled down from the download section of my website. The readme contains all the information you need to both write your own HTML/JS as well as how to enable live web updates for your users. Please consult the readme and if there are any questions afterwords don't hesitate to ask.

To illustrate how big a feature this is, you could actually write your own RMS on top of this technology. I don't think you'd want to, but you absolutely could. Anyway, at least for techies, I don't think it's possible to have a cooler feature in an RMS. :banana:

I need to thank Sy, Slingshot, and Dieter once again for all the hard work they put into those. With out those guys this feature doesn't happen, at least it doesn't come out nearly as good as it is.

-Dave

nice work on the updates and upgrade Dave

Will have to try it out.

Sorted my bsod, it ended up being a usb adapter

John did you sort the scorpius prob out ?

cheers

Glen

Edited by glengtl1

FYI, not sure I posted here or not but I decided to make RCD free. Donations to my charity always appreciated, but not required. Version 1.0.0.0 has been released on my website and the copy protection has been removed.

Enjoy,

Dave

Hi Dave,

On behalf of pretty much everyone, thanks for all your hard, and no doubt countless, hours of work in providing a great product for anyone to use.

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Thanks Dave, All your hard work is appreciated. This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Can I run a fuel race without having a pit lane? I cant seem to work out how to refuel. I have a pit lane, but it has no sensors, so it is bascally a spare lane I can use to stop to refuel and not distrupt the race.