Disappointment With Scalextric Quality Controls

Kholo Kid

I have been less than overwhelmed by the quality of the Scalextric digital products I have bought to date. The base analogue set (Thundering V8’s) is fine, no issues. On the digital front, the six car power base screen was damaged when I opened the box. This I can handle, accidents happen in transit.

However, over the weekend I plugged in the 4 car power base around five hours. Now controller port 1 has series issues, including the digital button on all of my six controllers does not operate the digital sensor but works as an accelerator. Also, when you unplug a controller the cars race off at full speed (as in ghost mode). Finally, controller port 1 now only accelerates (with controllers) at a fraction of full speed. (Note, I tested the port with all 6 of my controllers and all have the same issue, and all the 6 controllers work fine in the other 3 ports).

To top all this off, the pit lane game sensor only intermittently reads, so making the pit lane game useless.

Having paid over $1,000 dollars for Scalextric, I am very disappointed with the quality controls in place. If it had a try for 30 days policy, I would return the whole system and buy SCX!

See what happens when you get your 6 car pb going, the 4 car pb's were very ordinary, all the digital systems have their flaws out of the box, but if you do some research on the forums you will start to enjoy what you have brought, I got back slots in 2008 I brought a ssd 4 car set and was so disappointed with it but after researching on forums got it going terrific and now I run a club using SSD and am loving it

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Be careful that you don't place detector tracks directly after a corner. If the car is travelling at speed, then the tail can swing out, and as a consequence the detecter in the track slot cannot 'see' the signal from the car. Make sure the car is settled and straight before going over a detector. This usually involves placing a half-straight between corner and a detector track.

I agree with Johnsxr8, don't give up yet - check out the forums. But equally, you will spend a bit of time tuning it all up.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

You'll get loads of help here to rectify your problems that's for sure. Not sure what you mean about quality control.

Two words that don't often appear in the said companies dictionary. To be fair manufacturing in the land of the sweet and sour chicken does seem to have become a bit of a chore for many.

As far as QC is concerned I recently bought a bunch of Scalextric white kits in three bodies. Now I really don't think that whoever designed them and made them and packed them had any clue as to what they might be used for. If they did have then surely they wouldn't have super glued every part to the body making them a nightmare to unfix. In the case of the Camaro's they even glued the body to the chassis. Now if you bought a finished car off the shelf that would not have been the case so why with the white ones. Someone has either not a clue, can't see past the end of their nose or a sadistic sense of humour. I did manage to sort everything out but after some considerable time wasting. QC might be replaced with CCL. (couldn't care less)

Ashes to ashes funk to funky we all know Chris is a junkie.

Be careful that you don't place detector tracks directly after a corner. If the car is travelling at speed, then the tail can swing out, and as a consequence the detecter in the track slot cannot 'see' the signal from the car. Make sure the car is settled and straight before going over a detector. This usually involves placing a half-straight between corner and a detector track. Ian
Ian, thanks for the advice. I did think that the angle of the car passing the sensor in the pitlane may have been the cause, as I have only a short pit lane, but it didn't seem to make a difference even when I push the cars accross the sensor slowly and straight. I agree with everyone, these forums are a wealth of information. Edited by slot beginner

You'll get loads of help here to rectify your problems that's for sure. Not sure what you mean about quality control.

Two words that don't often appear in the said companies dictionary. To be fair manufacturing in the land of the sweet and sour chicken does seem to have become a bit of a chore for many.

As far as QC is concerned I recently bought a bunch of Scalextric white kits in three bodies. Now I really don't think that whoever designed them and made them and packed them had any clue as to what they might be used for. If they did have then surely they wouldn't have super glued every part to the body making them a nightmare to unfix. In the case of the Camaro's they even glued the body to the chassis. Now if you bought a finished car off the shelf that would not have been the case so why with the white ones. Someone has either not a clue, can't see past the end of their nose or a sadistic sense of humour. I did manage to sort everything out but after some considerable time wasting. QC might be replaced with CCL. (couldn't care less)

I think that the white kits and the 'USA only' Yunick Mustangs must have been made in the same line. My Mustang looked like a white kit that had been sprayed, and the bumpers were superglued on (the front one upside down). The post for the guide was a also very sloppy, suggesting something went wrong there. I'm not the only person to have had problems with that particular model. There seems to be a few production facilities building Scalextric, some better than others.

ff48s6.jpg

Out of the three Scalextric cars I have the NASCAR white kit and it is/was fine. After some years the white paint has begun to yellow ever so slightly but had I have painted the car i'm sure it would still be fine. OK I only have a small sample of the whole but..

Falcon V8 # 6 is one of the nicest finished cars, out of the box, that I have.

Edit: Oops I forgot I have two Caterhams so make that 5. One was purchased used...

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

• 3 months later...