Tasman Cup Round 3 "Thunder Road"

munter

The cars are here.

Mac is away for another week at least and then we will qualify and report.

i will probably take a look at the cars before then just to be sure they are still intact after their crossing of the Tasman.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

The cars are here.

i will probably take a look at the cars before then just to be sure they are still intact after their crossing of the Tasman.

Glad they have arrived.banana.gif

I hope you don't get too much drool on them.

Alan Stubbings

The cars are here.

I hope you don't get too much drool on them.

At least mine wont be hampered by that... :P !

All cars checked,braids cleaned and wheels spun.

There is now a small bag with two mirrors and one exhaust .

Now awaiting the word from Mac on a date for qualifying.

John Warren

Poor Pip deserves a night off from feeding her husband's "great unwashed rabble" of slot-addicted friends.

Perhaps we should organise to bring our own tucker out with us, and graze before racing.

We could organise ourselves to pick up pizza and shark 'n taties on the way out there, and split the cost somehow.....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Poor Pip deserves a night off from feeding her husband's "great unwashed rabble" of slot-addicted friends.

Perhaps we should organise to bring our own tucker out with us, and graze before racing.

We could organise ourselves to pick up pizza and shark 'n taties on the way out there, and split the cost somehow.....

... :wacko: ...OH! ...Fush 'n' chups... :lol::D:P Good one.

Chris

H.M.C.C

Ok Ladies

Round 4 is set to run this Sunday May 27 at 1.00pm.

Qualifying on Thunder Road is tomorrow night - Tuesday May 22nd at 6.30pm.

Yours truly will qualify the cars, while legendary Kiwi slot racing guru 'Munter' will be in charge of all technical matters including, but not limited to, last minute pre-qualifying car inspection; car qualifying order coordination; all time keeping duties; TrackMate operation; notation of qualifier comments; accurate and timely reporting of qualifying results and other unbelievably difficult stuff.

Thunder Road is a gloss enamel track. 95 foot. We'll run at 12v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwifaaNr2Bc

Thanks again for the opportunity to run your cars.

Mac

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

Welcome back Mac,

Looking forward to the first ever New Zealand round of the Tasman Series.banana.gif

A very big thank you to Munter for organising the race and to Mac for generously offering to host this race. We look forward to hearing a Kiwi's view on the cars and how they drive.

Good luck with qualifying and I hope you enjoy driving our little babies.cheers.gif

Alan Stubbings

"'Munter' will be in charge of all technical matters including timely reporting of qualifying results and other unbelievably difficult stuff"

In other words, he gets to do everything but the driving. Some people are born lucky and get to do all the easy jobs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Good evening Ladies

Qualifying in round 3 of the Tasman proxy is now in the past tense,

The cars certainly looked cool on the Thunder Road grid. As always, some looked better than others. And one or two looked absolutely bloody sensational.

tasmangrid.jpg

Legendary Kiwi Slot Car guru and wannabe professional proxy administrator 'Munter' is heading home to publish the results and soon the prestigious top three qualifying spots will be revealed. There were a few surprises - not all of them good - but by and large the cars ran sweet. There were a few stunners. A few more raw beauties. And a few that didn't live up to their potential. Standard proxy stuff.

Thanks for the opportunity to put your handcrafted babies on my track. Munter and I had a cool night in the man cave.

Mac

Rumpo Rumpo Rumpo

Here are the qualifying times and driving impressions (comments from Mac)

details from slowest to fastest

Fergusson #13 9.874 secs front wheels binding slightly,guide tight

Cooper #22 8.987 motor lacks grunt, tires need trueing

BRM #6 8.848 drives better than it looks

Fergusson #69 8.728 smooth but lacked feel

Brabham #10 8.641 easy drive but lacks power

Porche #12 8.532 easy driver

Brabham #18 8.511 lacks pep, loose rear end

Ferrari #50 8.489 not too stable but quick,loose rear

Cooper #7 8.421 Tail happy,feels quick and light

Porche #9 8.358 smooth, fast, quiet, easy, drive

Brabham #4 8.340 fast stable front wheel binding

Cooper #47 8.254 nice car,smooth, sounds great, some random deslots

Ferrari #26 8.250 fast, smooth,good drive

Cooper #17 8.148 tail happy but fast

Brabham #3 8.085 smooth, fast, deslots could be an issue

Brabham #2 7.922 fast,quiet,smooth,easy drive

BRM #8 7.880 car of the night in all respects

I hope I have the car makes correct. The car numbers(#) and times are accurate though

Edited by munter

John Warren

Thanks Munter and Mac,

Job well done. yo.gif

How do you think the cars handled the gloss surface? Most of them have probably never been run on gloss before.

Not surprised to see #8 at the pointy end. When I gave it a bit of a run it seemed to have a lot of pace but I didn't want to push it too hard cause it looked so damn pretty.

Alan Stubbings

All the cars had pretty good grip. Gloss leaves almost no margin for set up error IMHO - so the most 'planted' cars always do best

The top 3 were all a cut above and obviously quick. Q1 was just a great drive. What a stunner it was too!

I think there will be some movement in the field come raceday. I could tell that most of the cars were tippy if pushed - but rest assured that Munter and I will make sure the boys don't push the cars too hard this Sunday.

Mac

I think you guys either need to do some research on cars from this period or read Stubbo's entry list!

Car 17 is a Brabham BT3 , Car 4 is a Cooper, Car 18 is a BRP

Whatever happened to "thanks for running the round guys?" ;)

Munter, you did good. No point in me apologising as I willingly admit that I have zero knowledge of this racing era. I couldn't pick a Brabham from a Cooper if I tried.

The cars sure looked cool on my track though - and any night racing quality slots with Munter is a good night in my book.

Mac

"thanks for running the round guys?"

It hasn't been run as yet! :ph34r:

All the car and entrant details are listed on Stubbo's spreadsheet and on the reports from the two earlier rounds.

Thought you guys would have at least know the the No 4 Cooper 79 as it was designed,built and won the Australian Grand Prix by your own Bruce! :D

Edited by kalbfellp

Rumpo Rumpo Rumpo

I hope I have the car makes correct. The car numbers(#) and times are accurate though

Sorry Guys, been snoozen' It may have been my job to keep this in check, so kick my rrrrs for not bringing it to the fore !!

Thanks for getting the show down done so quickly on your return Mac and munter! Well done !Hope you have blast on Sunday !

BTW # 18 is a BRP, #4 is a Cooper and #17 is a Brabham... :D

Good luck to all the entrants and evrione involved the NZ GP !!

Ok Ladies

It's race day. The inaugural New Zealand round of the Tasman Cup is underway at 1pm on Thunder Road.

Under the watchful eye of legendary New Zealand slot car guru and terminally dyslexic Proxy adminstrator 'Munter', 4 of our small nations most awarded slot car drivers will be racing your bespoke cars as though we'd built them ourselves. Expect the lap times to be fast and the de-slots to be few. And expect Munter to do the haka if that's not the case.

Racing conditions are ideal. Thunder Road has been groomed to perfection. Our team of Marshalls are all visualising lightening quick re-slots. It's all go go go.

Yeehah!

Mac

Rumpo Rumpo Rumpo ... the round has been run.

The drivers were all experienced club and national racers.

The marshalls were all experienced club and national racers.

The event director was a noob.

Places, laps and details as follows:

# .... Car..... Constructor ... white lane ..... Yellow lane ..... Red lane ....... Blue Lane...... Total ...... Place

8 BRM P48 mmmoose1.... 17.1 ........ 18.4 .......... 18.6 ........... 17.8...... 71.9........... 1

3 Brabham BT4 slo1quick...... 16.9 ....... 17.4 .......... 17.9 .......... 16.9 ...... 69.1........... 2

17 Brabham BT3 Stig ..... 16.7 ....... 17.4 ......... 17.8 ........ 16.4...... 68.3 .......... 3

4 Cooper T59 Phil K ..... 16.2....... 16.7 ........ 17.3 ...... 16.3..... 66.5......... 6=

12 Porche 804 Mike Akers ..... 16.1...... 16.9 ....... 17.2 ......... 16.3...... 66.5.......... 6=

26 Ferrari 158 Biedmatt .... 16.4 ..... 16.7...... 17.5 ...... 15.9...... 66.5.......... 6=

18 BRP Bantoft ...... 16.7 ..... 16.6 ..... 16.9 ...... 16.0...... 66.2.......... 7

9 Porche 804 RIR ..... 16.5...... 16.7 ...... 17.4 ....... 15.4..... 66.0.......... 8

2 Brabham BT3 Stubbo..... 16.2...... 15.7....... 17.1 ....... 15.5..... 64.5......... 9

50 Ferrari 156 Alexis...... 15.3 ...... 17.0.... 17.3 ...... 14.4..... 64.0......... 10

47 Cooper Climax Boss 302...... 16.1 ...... 15.5 .... 16.1 ..... 15.8 ..... 63.5........ 11

10 Brabham BT3 munter.... 15.8 ..... 16.4..... 16.5 ..... 14.7..... 63.4........ 12

7 Cooper T53 old23 ...... 16.1 .... 16.1..... 16.5 ..... 14.0 ..... 62.7........ 13

22 Cooper T53 slotsNZ..... 14.6 ...... 15.9 ..... 16.0.... 14.8..... 61.3........ 14

6 BRM Chenglaw..... 14.9 ..... 14.5 ..... 14.7 ...... 14.7..... 58.8....... 15

69 Fergusson Ferrari1950 ..... 11.2 ...... 15.1 ...... 15.1..... 15.4 ..... 56.8........ 16

13 Fergusson Mike Newns ..... 14.2 ..... 15.0 ...... 14.8 ..... 11.1 ..... 55.1......... 17

I would like to thank Mac for hosting, Craig, Craig and Chris for driving, J2theK for car prep and Viv for marshalling.

We worked well together and demonstrated some mahi tahi.....I didnt have to do the haka but I have been practicing.

Edited by munter

John Warren