←  Scratch Built/Re-Paints

Auslot Forums

»

I Pity The Fool Who Tries To Make An A Tea...

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 07 May 2012

Yes, after the success* of my other cars, the next one is a 1981(ish) GMC van. Like the '77 Dodge this one is based on a model kit rather than 3D data, but even then it's never simple...

I eventually found a 1:32 kit from an auction site, there were a few different ones made through the '70s and early '80s but I particularly wanted one without a side window. This one came over to England eventually and I sent it off for cleaning up and prep work for moulding.

The custom work is the roof spoiler and special wheel inserts which I made up with a few luchtimes on the CAD system and then got 3D printed. There's also a vacform interior and fender skirts with front spoiler moulded into the main bodyshell

Posted Image

The tiny front and rear overhang meant my original chassis didn't fit but the new compact chassis does and there was a huge sigh of relief when it worked last week under the Dodge Monaco and Cadillac limo!

Posted Image

The new chassis is easy to build, it's almost done this afternoon, just the guide and wiring to tidy up. As well as being wider, this van is of course much taller so my usual body posts don't reach up to inside the hood and they certainly don't go up to the roofline in the back. I fabricated some L brackets from leftover plasticard and tried it for size

Posted Image

I need to dig out some more photos of the film van, I'm sure it's higher at the back but I need to see how much. For the moment the L brackets are held in with tape so I can try it and move it easily

The roof spoiler fits nicely so I need to check how far back on the roof it goes

I won't be able to send these abroad because everyone knows BA ain't getting on no plane, sucker!

* success? The sarcasm-ometer has just broken in my accountant's office

Mohawkk's Photo Mohawkk 07 May 2012

haha awesome, cant wait to see it finished

SlotsNZ's Photo SlotsNZ 07 May 2012

View Postchoc-ice, on 07 May 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

I won't be able to send these abroad because everyone knows BA ain't getting on no plane, sucker!

don't be silly, you hold him down, I'll inject the sedative - -

nooooooooo, i said YOU hold him down . . . . :lol:

ps, nice job !!!

gazza's Photo gazza 07 May 2012

Here's one from around here, well Dapto actually

Posted Image

I can see them being turned into service vehicles, and if you can do a transit van version, i see the SuperVan hitting the tracks

eagleby flyer's Photo eagleby flyer 07 May 2012

I really liked the wheels on the original van. Can't wait to see the finished product. Then you could do the mystery machine from scooby doo. I used to have a cool blue van in my AFX days, crap car to race but it was all about looks.

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 12 May 2012

I used some scrap plasticard to support the resin body posts and after a few attempts I glued them in place

Posted Image

Grey paint on the top half, now to mask it off and do black on the bottom

Posted Image

I've got a spare bodyshell, the first one that came out of the mould wasn't great. Any guesses what I'll paint it up as?

Posted Image

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 14 May 2012

Paint on, the masking was quite involved but it looks good
Posted Image

And the spare bodyshell is done too. The graphics make it I think
Posted Image

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 15 May 2012

The observant among you will have noticed there's no GMC badge on this model, so I made this

Posted Image

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 18 Jun 2012

Just working on a video.

Want to see a few screen shots?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ember's Photo Ember 18 Jun 2012

I never really watched the A Team much. Did they really jump that clunking great van?

Burglar's Photo Burglar 18 Jun 2012

Why aren't Starsky and Hutch jumping something? They are the ones who were famous for it. Well, Starsky anyway. Hutch mainly sat there and peed his pants.

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 19 Jun 2012

Yes, Embs, they really did jump that van a few times, although I think most of the stories involved jeeps with massive roll cages going over pipe ramps.

One at 1 min 20 sec in here, although they start off with a Dodge Monaco which were all doomed as soon as you saw one enter the scene

I don't remember Starsky jumping his car much, but I could be wrong. There's a limit to the stunt props and scenes I can set up in a spare hour on Saturday mornings so alleyways and cityscapes are out of the question in my stuff... I only really try and show it cornering, almost any slot car can jump (although mine survive better than most)
Posted Image

Burglar's Photo Burglar 19 Jun 2012

They always did those small jumps (which generally wrecked the car if you watch them land, and then the next shot it's a different car).

Of course in the remake movie they did a few General Lee style ones.

Burglar's Photo Burglar 19 Jun 2012

Also, so when are you going to fit your chassis to the Pioneer Bullitt cars? You'll need a Frisco cityscape then, ;)

KarKraft's Photo KarKraft 19 Jun 2012

Whatever did happen to THAT Pioneer thread on that OTHER forum? I was looking forward to seing the end result.

Ember's Photo Ember 19 Jun 2012

Which one are you talking about KK? The Bullitt chase remake?

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 28 Jun 2012

Video is ready! Click the picture for the youtube link.

33 seconds in, you can see how well this drifts despite it's height

Posted Image

Burglar's Photo Burglar 28 Jun 2012

Those wheels look like pizza cutters in the video ... do wider tyres work, or do they jam on the inside guards?

choc-ice's Photo choc-ice 28 Jun 2012

Plenty of room for wider wheels & tyres but I want it to slide easily, not have too much grip

Burglar's Photo Burglar 28 Jun 2012

Just use some bald old Scaley Camaro rubbers that are five years old or so. They are only good for burnout competitions, so they should slip about very easily!