Nz Canam Proxy 2012 - Race Round 4

35 replies to this topic

#1 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hi Guys , cars all arrived safe and sound last friday from up north .. The plan at this stage is to run Qualifiying on Wednesday 9th May , and the Round race will be run on Friday 11th May ... If anything changes will let you all know ...

#2 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi Guys ... Qualifiying has been run , will be sending results throught to Mark shortly ... Only had 1 problem with a car ... SLO1QUICK , you had a gear mesh problem .. but that has been fixed . Have in formed Mark of the repair , so will be up to him if there is any penalty to be applied to your car ...

#3 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi Guys

here are the qualifying results. This is big fast track, so higher powered cars seem to be coming to the fore.

Warren - do you have an updated picture we could post of the track - I can post it for you if needed.
Warren hasn't given me his thoughts on the cause of Stu's gear mesh problem, so will deal with that tomorrow, he has club racing at his place tonight, so he will have been in a hurry..
Posted Image
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#4 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi Nitro.

Glad you found problem with Slo1quick. Apologies for not picking up previously. Sounds like I should have given a run and it may have been more obvious.

Good to see most cars running very well. Look forward to racing.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#5 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

The cars all ran well , on my rebuilt track , was a simple fix for Slo1quick's car .. just readjusted the wheels on the back axle to take up the side play that had developed . The remaining rounds , the hosts may have to just check on this car , incase it happens again ... I think there could be some close racing , going by laps times in Qualifiying ...
Mark , i will get some photo's of the new track done tomorrrow and email them through to you ...
Am looking forward to the Round Race on Friday night ...

Cheers Warren .

#6 hgpanel

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Looks like I need a lot more legs for this track, what is the most popular motor for this proxy?

#7 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

View Postnitro0440, on 09 May 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

The cars all ran well , on my rebuilt track , was a simple fix for Slo1quick's car .. just readjusted the wheels on the back axle to take up the side play that had developed . The remaining rounds , the hosts may have to just check on this car , incase it happens again ...

Cheers Warren .

Thanks for the fix Warren ! So I m guessing it was the left wheel moved to open the mesh up and not the crown ? If this is the case a hefty off is unlikely to cause this !?
I hope Mark is not wielding too bigger pointed stick, though Stubbo might be well pleased !? :)

Good luck with the race guys !

Edited by slo1quick, 09 May 2012 - 11:17 PM.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#8 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Looks like it will be an interesting race!
Also looks like two fastest qualifiers in class A and no fastest qualifier in class B!

#9 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

View Postkalbfellp, on 09 May 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Also looks like two fastest qualifiers in class A and no fastest qualifier in class B!

blasted A/B thing. I actually altered it, to 'B', but had sent a sub-sheet to Wazza to put the times in - which still had ben's purple people eater as 'A'. And of course when it came back I cut and pasted the entire sheet back into the master sheet in haste before snipping it to post up on thread and heading out for the evening ........ back to A . . .

I do promise to do better next time sir, please sir, don't hit me again . . . . Posted Image

"whippin' " what slotsnz dishes out to all club members [he has blindfolded prior to the race] on the track
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#10 slotmadmac

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Looking close. Congrats to the top qualifiers.
Mac
Podiums are for short people.

#11 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Updated track pics of the extended Motorplex circuit

"here's 3 photo's of my rebuilt track ... Most of the track has been rebuilt , all the straight sections have been redone with longer lengths , to remove the number of joins i had in previous track .. new section put in at the top end , no more squeeze section .. but the track does climb from 0 inches from end of banking to 7 inches at end of back straight , then drops down to 0 inches through the sweeping part of the new section back up to 5 inches where it joins the straight heading back towards the hairpin which has been lowered 1 inch .. rest of the track is the same as old track ...
Track has been retaped with thicker tape , and new power taps in place and plenty of them ..Big improvemnet on the old track , it runs faster and smoother , i'm even dialing off brakes on cars that I have never had to do before ...
Paint surface on track is the same as old track , just repainted ...Track voltage is still the same 11.5 volts"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 haystack

Lawn Tractor Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

The tyres on the big barge are two proxies old now, and may be getting a bit stale. Is it possible to give them a lite sand before the business end of proceedings?

Ta muchly..
Chris
H.M.C.C

#13 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Posthaystack, on 10 May 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

The tyres on the big barge are two proxies old now, and may be getting a bit stale. Is it possible to give them a lite sand before the business end of proceedings?

Ta muchly..

Only if you're willing to take th e 5 point hit that goes with it.

#14 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

No problem Chris , will give tyres a lite sand before racing starts ....

#15 haystack

Lawn Tractor Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 10 May 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

View Posthaystack, on 10 May 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Ta muchly..

Only if you're willing to take th e 5 point hit that goes with it.
At this point of proceedings it seems only logical. :blink:

Thanks Wazza.

Edited by haystack, 11 May 2012 - 05:50 AM.

Chris
H.M.C.C

#16 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hi guys

here are R4 results and standings, plus some comments from Warren.
- He discreetly omitted saying why my mule had such a shocker.........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some interesting results , cars i thought would have performed well didn't , and some i didn't expect to perform did ...
Guess thats the nature of Proxy racing .. you never know what will happen on race night ..
The Drivers were - Kerry Radford yellow - Andrew Hutton red - myself Blue would like to thank the guys for helping me run the event , and to those that helped with marshaling .

We had a couple of problems with cars , which reflect in low lap scores on some lanes ..

Haystack - your tyres aren't helping you , even though i did give a light sand they just didn't hold grip for the 3 minute races ..

Miveson - your car had guide problems in Blue lane , It seemed to bottom out in places , causing the car to deslot

Slo1quick - your gear mesh problem reappeared , it had a slight tangle with another car , but was enough to put your gear mesh out . Will fix before moving them on to next round .. But not sure if gear will last till end of proxy , the gear is showing some wear .

Overal the lower placed cars , just suffered from grip .. most started each race with good grip , but just got taily towards the end of each 3 minute heat . Plus there were the usual off's you have when trying to push to hard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#17 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Mark . with reference to your car , there was no problem with it , it just had 1 to many off's , trying to push the car to hard ..It's a lovely car to drive , but like all cars they have there limits .. and once you find them it's to late . regarding email . it wasn't stubbo's car .. it was hgPanels car , we noticed with the looseness of his motor pod , the spur gear was rubbing up against the chassis , more noticable going round corners , which made the car off and on while racing , it could be fixed , but will wait to hear from hgPanel as to what he wants to do ...

P.S . I think results need to go in round 4 topic Mark not round 3 ... I know it's early in the morning ... have another coffee , you'll come right . .. [edit - yeah thanks, realised that, eventually but took me a few minutes to figure out how to use my demi-god-like-moderator-powers to shift posts - unfortunately these don't extend to "creative maths" in spreadsheets -_- But the 'nother coffee is sage wisdom, and about to be applied, that'll make 4 shots down the throat this morning ]

Cheers Warren .

Edited by SlotsNZ, 12 May 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#18 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Miveson - your car had guide problems in Blue lane , It seemed to bottom out in places , causing the car to deslot

2nd time that the guide has had issues, it's a standard SICH07 wood guide so I'm rather surprised. I'll happily take the hit and swap it for a standard slot.it guide if it means the car will have no further issues. If it can't be done then no worries - it'll make little difference to the results for me.

#19 nitro0440

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

It may not be your guide ... my track top is only 9mm mdf with a 6.5mm deep slot , it may just have been a slight difference in slot hight on the parts of the track it had problems in .. was fine in the other 2 lanes .

#20 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I am using a CH07 wood guide too, and it it is set pretty much full depth - so about 8mm in the slot.
So mine may have suffered from guide problems affecting it's stability in corners if the guide was bottoming out too.

The one difference in mine miveson, is that I take the guide and round off the leading edge in about a 2.5mm quarter circle using a stone cylinder fitting in my dremel. It prevents it taking sudden "shock hits", as it will more easily rise up and over an obstruction in a slot.

The guide can't be swapped for a different model - repairs are okay, but no alteration to specs.
1.1.1 Once a car has been scrutineered for the series it’s mechanical specification may not be changed, eg.; no changes of motor spec. or gear ratio.

Orakei is likely to be a problem for you, - as I know it will be for me, but I just expect the guys to drive it less hard to stay within limits and in the slot.

Henderson round is a metal chassis track about "bronze age", so the slot will be waaaaaaay deep.
Likewise NPSR.
And Mac's Thunder Road was originally the Motueka club track (a small town near Nelson, in our south Island) and it has a very deep slot.

I had picked this and Plymouth as being deep slot tracks which I think may have undone me a bit.
I'd have actually set my guide an mm shallower, but the combinaton of the body design and HRS2 limited my options for guide depth with the wheels, tyre combo and looking "scale" in wheels and ride height etc Maybe I should have used a smaller guide too..... but it is a bus so I wanted a big spade to bury it in the slot.....

I was ready to take the hit at Orakei, but not these two . . . c'est la vie - or should it be c'est la mort.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users