Running Power Switches Between Two Tracks

BMR

I am no electrician , and Im stuck on what switches to buy that will do the job of swapping power , lights etc between two tracks

I have drawn this up below - its no great electrical drawing but I hope it helps to see what Im getting at .

The problem is the 6 green switches that will take all the power to the lanes , they need to handle at least 15 volts and 40 amps each while all the lanes are in use

Once the power is at the drivers stations there are a few extra blue switches in place but they will only be carrying the power for one car at a time or one light or one powered tyre buffing pad or one light that indicates the buff pad is on or track street lights - they are already in place and operate no worries .

Its the 6 green switches Im concerned about - they are operating the power from the supplies and the idea is one console near the computer will have 2 green switches to cut power possibly between race heats , the other 4 green switches are to turn it all off and on when I swap from one track to the other .

I run two power supplies so I can reduce power to some lanes if cars with more power are running against cars with less power ( old school 1/24th cars vs new builds ) or if kids are on the track and I want to reduce the power they get to their cars . Those blue switches are at the drivers stations already , altering the power is a seperate issue , thats done at the power supply itself basically set to whatever voltage is needed in the pic its supply 1 -10v and power supply 2 -12v

Anyone got some knowledge in this area ? Will household light switches do the job ? same pic twice - one may open bigger / maybe clearer ?

I have had quite a few conflicting answers about the ideal switches for the job so Im ready for some more ideas before I just go ahead and wire it up an find out the hard way $$$ what wont work

Twotracksrunningdualpowerandlightsetcwirediagram.png

Edited by BMR

St0572 DPDT From Jaycar is what you need for switches.

I am not sure why you would not just have the two track wired seperatly and just use plugs from the power supply and timing system.

The main reason is ..... Im gettin old and its hard climbing under the track each time to swap it all over :D

Im not looking forward to the winter weather and lying on my back on the cold cement floor to swap wires from one track to the other so I figured do it once more and then I can just flick a few switches

The timing system is a simple printer port plug from the counting gadget Rick made for me , it does both tracks and its easy to swap over but the two power supplies are under the track where the spiders live :unsure:

I know its an excess of switches , 4 down low by the power supplies would be enough to run two seperate voltages to each track .

I just want two more switches up by the computer ( its on the other side of the track ) so its easier to switch off the lanes when kids are getting a bit into demolishion derby mode , also for those moments when people ( the big kids ) are battling too much on warm up laps to hear me say " OK line em up on the grid guys "

Funny how the noises you hear and the face expressions from both the big and little kids sound and look much the same when the power gets shut off mid way through a lap

PS - these switches - http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&keywords=ST-0572&form=KEYWORD

I got a few of them but the Jaycar guy ( young bloke ) reckons they wont handle 40 amps ?

Edited by BMR

where's rick?

I should see Rick Friday night maybe he can sort it out , the switches on he link on the last post are 3A 250V

The switches that are curretly on the oval are these type - On/ Off / On 10A 125V

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST0576&keywords=toggle+switch&form=KEYWORD

They work for each lane now to swap between power supplies but its one switch one lane / one driver station

I need switches that can handle the current draw of all 5 lanes at the same time with the Super 16D parma motors all running around the track ? I think a 10A switch will die with that many amps running through it ? As I said , Im no electrician

I think from memory Jaycar have a 25 amp switch similar to what you are using. I think these should be big enough,I would check the current draw wile the cars are running. I think a super only draws about 2 amps when running. The contacts are rated for the make and break current.The problems with DCis the arc that generated when the contacts open. Super 16 probably draw more on start up BUT that is only momentary.

But a once you start looking at 45 amps DC, you will be looking for industrial type switch. You could use some automotive head light relays They are usually around 40 to 50 amp.

Edited by kalbfellp

Or for the "switch" that needs to carry the load of all lanes, use a smaller switch to throw 40 or 60 amp auto relay between A and B output.

One thing it appears BWR is trying to acheive is to have ability to run 2 different voltages on whichever track is in use, - lane selectable.

At first glance, the wiring looks to be right in principle, just a lot of shagging around. I'd proboably run 2 more supplies and save on the switching between track.

Weren't there those AVAIR supplies in 25 amp each for not much money. 2 more of those would probably cost not much more than the other wiring, switches, relays and "shagging about time" of the setup proposed.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Actually thinking about it SlotsNZ your probably right there , the cost of two more supplies vs switches , indicator lights and extra wire . worth a look anyways .

For me at the moment I already have 4 of the 10A 125v on / off / on switches that can do the swapping between supplies on the road course track at the drivers station . Got them switches quite some time back during the oval build - 5 for the oval and 4 for the road track . Got them so we can race newer build Plafit Fox powered GT cars against the older build GT cars that have different motors usually more powerful eg Parma S16d and 26d in them ( some being rewinds )

Generally speaking the older stuff runs on 10v and the Fox II motored cars are on 12v .

On the oval track the two power supplies are so the inner lanes ( 1.8 to 2.5 metres shorter per lap ) can be manipilated to run the same lap times as the outer lanes - I used the same car on all the lanes and adjusted the voltage so I was running the same average lap times on each lane - its crude but it makes the racing a bit more even , the idea being the outer lane and the inner lane cross the finish line together each lap , so there is more of a race against each driver rather than having the faster ( short ) lanes running a second or so quicker each lap on one or two lanes .

Phil , your suggestion of headlight switches and relays is worth chasing , Are there any auto electricians on Auslot ?

Actually thinking about it SlotsNZ your probably right there , the cost of two more supplies vs switches , indicator lights and extra wire . worth a look anyways .

The idea hails directly from "mark's bone-idle book of wisdom" aka "I can't be bothered, someone make an easier way :) "

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Not headlight switches just the relays. They can be switched with any switch, and one switch can operate plenty of relays. This is how Flashtrack controlled their track power and Garry probably still used the relays.

http://www.traxide.com.au/relay_info.html

Edited by kalbfellp