Lone Pine Raceway

triggy

Tic Toc………………… the clock is ticking Triggy

Looking good though

I hope you’re going to turn that couch around to sit on while we race :)

Yeah yeah, I know, I know, ......Rome wasn't built in a day ya know.

And the lounge stays where it is, otherwise we won't have any marshalls.

Normal people worry me

Naaa wasn't it something like 40 days and 40 nights for Noah to build the Ark ?

The South City Club should be sailing on this track soon

Yeah...... with a whole new bunch of animals....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For sure on that :lol:

PS will the bar be ready on opening night ?

Edited by BMR

• 4 weeks later...

Ok , had to pull my finger out, got a club meet here in 4 weeks... Tic Toc.

Finished fences and filling

IMG_6936.jpg

Tried the snow affect.........

IMG_6938.jpg

Started laying the bitumen

IMG_6949.jpg

This is the new track surface. Got it from BMR it is left over from his oval track and I liked the non abrasive grip that it provides. ( less wear on tyres too) All the spillage on the tin is from BMR! I'm not that messy :rolleyes:

IMG_6952.jpg

Possibly start braiding on the weekend??? The scenery will follow ASAP. I just need to make sure that it will be operational for the club meet in 4 weeks time, before I worry about the pretties.

Normal people worry me

That paint on the outside of the tin was applied with great care so you could more easily see the depth of colour available with each coat :lol:

Lookin good mate , ya makin a tyre sanding pad near the driver stations ?

How many coats have you put on ?

Are you going to give it a light sand to take off any prickly bits from the roller like I did .

That wall looks like a great place to put the 55 inch flat screen monitor for the lap counting

I put a 3rd coat on the other day then braided 1 of the outside lanes and powered it up to test the grip level. I wasn't overly happy so I sanded the surface as BMR did with his oval track. Grip looked a bit more promising ( bearing in mind the track isn't rubbered up). Braided the other outside lane and powered up. There were a couple of concerns at some corners re clearances, so after some test laps I found a couple of spots where the car hits the fence easily, so some widening had to be carried out.

This is how and what I used to stick down the braid. It is a silicone type product that sticks, seals gap fills etc etc all in one. It was recommnded by my building trade supplier (no not Bunnings etc,) ..trade supplier, as sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

As it is a silicone type product is soft and easy to apply the braid in the recess. The wire runs in the slot as a guide to keep the nozzle in the centre of the recess.

One of the areas where the track had to be widened (upper level, foreground)

IMG_7052.jpg

The monitor for the drivers. This will have scenery all around it on the MDF panel.

IMG_7053.jpg

Current overall view

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7057.jpg

Now onto defining the track lines and putting in the painted rumble strips.

And plenty of laps to rubber the surface up. The other 2 lanes will be braided in the very near future.

Normal people worry me

Thanks for your comments Terry. I am already resigned to the fact that Lone Pine won't look as good as Warwick Grove. ( already told the missus that too). Warwick Grove was abit more in propoprtion as far as the amount of track V the amount of landscaping area. With Lone Pine, I have squeezed alot of track (4 lanes) into an area the same as Warwick Grove, so I don't have as much scenery area and therefore alot less color. There will be alot of the same sort of signage and landscaping as there was in Warwick Grove, (even found room for another little lake!) so expect that part of it to look alot the same as I did like that sort of coloring.

Normal people worry me

Before I start rubbering up the track I needed to put in my rumble strips as some are on the racing and they need to be rubbered up too

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

There will be a white line infront of the rumble strip all the way around the track to deliniate the track. That is currently a white pencil line you maybe able to see.

IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

The bridge builders have completed their work too

IMG_7075.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

Onto more scenery over the next week. and laying the braid to the last 2 lanes in their somewhere too.

Normal people worry me

so whens the race meet taking place triggy?? i can see the outer lanes are going to have the advantage... seeing the middle two have no braid....

3 weeks time there is my maiden round / debut for the club Ian. Scenery proably won't be complete, but I need to concentrate on getting some rubber down soon to make sure there is enough grip for the tribe.

The outer lanes are for the hybrids and the inner 2 are for the petrol / diesel cars :P

Normal people worry me

Track is looking a real picture triggy - you must be more than pleased with your efforts, well done.

A hint re trackside ripple strips - if you want to sooften/age tem a bit then a very (very) light dusting of black spray paint from a can does a great job. Just be sure to test on an offcut first as you can never get too little paint on the strips.

Also a real clever idea was your use of silicone to adhere braid to rebate.

Grant

tell more about the silicon caulk,,,, how many metres & cost per tube??,,, What solvents clean it?? Does it expand whilst drying?? Did you need to pre glue the braid as well?

does look as though youve stumbled on easier way to do a "pia" job,,, I've worked with caulking with precast panels, never thought of it as a glue.

Track is looking a real picture triggy - you must be more than pleased with your efforts, well done.

Thanks Grant, it certainly chews up the time when you start talking scenery, but still I enjoy doing it and the finished product

A hint re trackside ripple strips - if you want to sooften/age them a bit then a very (very) light dusting of black spray paint from a can does a great job. Just be sure to test on an offcut first as you can never get too little paint on the strips.

Also a real clever idea was your use of silicone to adhere braid to rebate.

You mean to get an appearance like this?

ClubCarsbartrack064.jpg

This is from my old track. I used the dry brush method, so it was easier to get right without any overspray.

Normal people worry me

tell more about the silicon caulk,,,, how many metres & cost per tube??,,, What solvents clean it?? Does it expand whilst drying?? Did you need to pre glue the braid as well?

does look as though youve stumbled on easier way to do a "pia" job,,, I've worked with caulking with precast panels, never thought of it as a glue.

Neil, I will do 150 lm of braid with half a tube. Apply the silicone to the groove,

IMG_6954.jpg

then press the braid into it, flush or just below the surface, whatever is your preference. You may get some minor seepage on the slot or track side if you don't get your feed and size of glue run right. I clean any seepage off the track staright away with Red Back silicone clean up ( just dip my finger in a rag into the tin then a quick wipe) Seepage in the slot gets cleaned away when I run a guide in the slot hard against the edge to spread / clean it away, then wipe the guide with the wet rag. I don't know the cost of the tube as I haven't got the bill yet. It is a new product to me and was recommended by my supplier. I did have in mind to use a Sikaflex product but he recommended this instead and I think it is easier to use than Sikaflex would be. The trick is to have a steady hand and even flow then your seepage is neglible. I also went this color as it is grey to match the road surface. Because it is a soft product it is easy to apply flat and the braid presses in easily unlike liquid nails or other waterbased products.

As you know braiding isn't the the most fun part of building and I wasn't looking forward to doing the braiding job, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily and quickly the braid went down. No expanison when drying but does take a few hours to cure.

Normal people worry me

Neil, I will do 150 lm of braid with half a tube. Apply the silicone to the groove,

IMG_6954.jpg

then press the braid into it, flush or just below the surface, whatever is your preference. You may get some minor seepage on the slot or track side if you don't get your feed and size of glue run right. I clean any seepage off the track staright away with Red Back silicone clean up ( just dip my finger in a rag into the tin then a quick wipe) Seepage in the slot gets cleaned away when I run a guide in the slot hard against the edge to spread / clean it away, then wipe the guide with the wet rag. I don't know the cost of the tube as I haven't got the bill yet. It is a new product to me and was recommended by my supplier. I did have in mind to use a Sikaflex product but he recommended this instead and I think it is easier to use than Sikaflex would be. The trick is to have a steady hand and even flow then your seepage is neglible. I also went this color as it is grey to match the road surface. Because it is a soft product it is easy to apply flat and the braid presses in easily unlike liquid nails or other waterbased products.

As you know braiding isn't the the most fun part of building and I wasn't looking forward to doing the braiding job, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily and quickly the braid went down. No expanison when drying but does take a few hours to cure.

1 tube will easily do my track when I'm ready,,,,, & the cost will easily outway the time saved,,,,, cheers,,,,& now to search for suplier near Liverpool..

• 2 weeks later...

1 tube will easily do my track when I'm ready,,,,, & the cost will easily outway the time saved,,,,, cheers,,,,& now to search for suplier near Liverpool..

I believe it is very similar to Fullers "Toolbox" or Selleys "3 in 1" All Modified Silicone sealant/adhesives - Mineral turps clean up

Track and finish looking great Triggy

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

The Powerstick product was $21 a tube trade price, but worth it for the ease of application. Mel, my supplier suggested I use Red Back's silicone clean up rather than turps. Don't know why, probably for the sale :rolleyes:

Normal people worry me

Well all 4 lanes are braided and the track timing installed. Some small modifications to PC monitor positions and 2/3rds of the hills have been plastered (cornice cement) in. Early indication suggest a very good lap time will be high 4secs to low 5's. I am happy with those results and the new found grip. (refer this thread) http://www.auslot.co..._fromsearch__1.

The club night is only 8 nights away and I am confident it will be ready ( except for the decorative scenery and signage )

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

Normal people worry me

Looks like you will have hours of fun there Triggy. Glad to see you went for something other than Ferradore to. The more i drive different surfaces the more i wonder how it ever became popular. You will get more grip and less tyre wear and less scraped tampo from any offs. I wonder what the downsides are?

There aren't many spots to fill in with scenery but i am sure being the craftsman you are you already have plans for the white patches.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.