Springbok Racer

A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

I know everybody is focusing on the chassis... but check out the way Cam finished the body! Certainly would have won concours. The highlight of Sundays LMP race for me was having a 20 minute dice with Cam. I just couldn't get past which was just as well because we were both flat out doing identical times - it was like the two cars were connected by a rubber band. Cam commented later he did'nt blink for the whole 20 minutes :lol:

I know everybody is focusing on the chassis... but check out the way Cam finished the body! Certainly would have won concours. The highlight of Sundays LMP race for me was having a 20 minute dice with Cam. I just couldn't get past which was just as well because we were both flat out doing identical times - it was like the two cars were connected by a rubber band. Cam commented later he did'nt blink for the whole 20 minutes :lol:

I'm hearing you Kim,Cams body was probably the best Lexan finished car I've seen & would probably go close to winning concourse in Europe.

Dicing with someone of equal car speed & driving ability is what we all look forward to & pray for every time we enter a race,in years to come we'll forget who won or where you finished,just remember that dice.

Had the pleasure to drive Cam's LMP just before he left for Qld & for a car with minimal tuning it was very very nice to drive & I know a few guys that would kill for his practice body.

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

I know a few guys that would kill for his practice body.

...that's my body, just you guys keep your hands off it....LOL

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Hi Jimmy, cant believe its been a year now we've been playing with the LMP's. I must say some of the best wheel to wheel driving experiances I've ever had has been with these cars as their power to handling ratio make them an easy drive. Would'nt mind trying a faster NSR Motor.. Hmm maybe not.. i'm getting to old to go faster!

Would'nt mind trying a faster NSR Motor.. Hmm maybe not..

Kim,

.....yeah, maybe not.

Don't mess with a successful formula. In too many slot car situations in the past have we made classes faster for the sake of going faster. The end result is always the same: the lap times come down, the fast guys go faster, the slower guys may (sometimes) go slower....and the gap between them just get bigger. Eventually the participation drops and we have another class where only a few guys compete. The most important thing to remember is to make sure the back of the field can see the front of the field. When that vision fades the slow end also fades.

We have enough FAST classes in slot racing. We don't have enough enjoyable classes with enough drivers competing....except for this one ....and of course Scale Auto GT's.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Agree with what you are saying Jan, lets leave this one alone, at least 18 people from around the country will agree that this was a very good weekend and the classes are good as they are.

As I said earlier I would post pics of my car, so here it is, the Concorse Winner on Sunday, it was very close between Garry J and myself, I think I owe Garry in the end for letting me have it. Like Cams car his was also very nice. and I think I was lucky that Cam did not enter his car as he had just a bit more detail than mine.

Here it is after 4 Hours on the track and looking like it had done 24Hrs of Le Mans!

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0532.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

And a few shots of the chassis

DSCN0536.jpg

And that terrible gear mesh, look at the mess it made of the gears, I swear if it had been a night race the police would have been called to stop the noise!

DSCN0538.jpg

notice the missing spring in the middle, an attempt to soften the rear, it helped but not enough.

And my Trophy and the car has now been retired to the Shelf, MK2 is being built as we speak, but which body? any chance of someone making me a 2014 Rebellion Lola???? Jan????

DSCN0544.jpg

Thanks to all the people who attended and especially to those that voted for my car, much appreciated!

Till next time

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Paul, I would have left the middle spring and removed the ones on the side.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Paul, I would have left the middle spring and removed the ones on the side.

yes agree Garry, but in the heat of battle sometimes we make the wrong decisions :unsure:

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi guys,

Last night, another night of high tension and high stakes in the local championship. In the end it was again true, that fast laps don't win races - especially mini enduro's. Jason had the measure of us all, but just could not keep the fast Acura in the slot when the pressure was on. It was his race to lose as he definitely had at least 1.5 laps over me in a total of some 430 laps. But alas the R18 just kept on grinding it out and the Acura cracked.....in the final 3 minutes of the 40 minute race. Thanks mate, it was awesome racing nose-to-nose with you. May it all bodes well for your MCN challenge this weekend.

We had Grant racing the Kiwi Pk Designs car - whilst it was fast he suffered some reliability issues and Paul will no doubt be called upon to rethink some of his creation. Ashley ran his new R15 and it was a rocket, but again the prep was not quite 100% and he too had some reliability problems. Stewy, the same thing, a pinion coming lose. The other boys ran well but could not keep up with the front runners.

Anyway, after all was said and done we still had 10 laps cover the top 5 cars. Awesome racing once again with these beasts.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks Jan it was a cracker of a race I thought I had it with 5 mins to go and even backed off a little which was the mistake. I am rethinking the short car it is defiantly faster but needs to be driven very acuratly and any mistakes costs. I could see your car was more forgiving and didn't bite if pushed too close to the edge. Maybe I need to paint up a Porsche or pescorola.......

Hi all,

This class continues to be the closest and fastest Scale Model Car class around. Of course if speed was the only important aspect, we could make it even faster - so no point to try and compare some other open-gearing-higher-rpm-class to this. The beauty of this class as it is now - simply make sure that racing is fast and close. The back end of the field can always see the pointy end. It builds confidence, it is competitive and everybody can drive them fast.

Again proving the point, we random selected 5 teams last night at EE.au (where we hosted our latest multiple National Champion - Cameron Nielsen) and the top 3 were covered by 7 laps after some 430 laps. Unfortunately Cam drew the short straw and his team only managed second spot - 1.11 laps behind the winning R15 combination of Ashley and Bruce, who both drove extremely well.

The PK Designs Acura again showed serious promise and is an inspiration to all our local chassis designers and builders.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks for hosting me last night, you certainly offer fine loan cars...beautiful to drive.

Close racing last night and great fun.

Cheers,

- Cam

Hoo Roo

No no no.....that new Toyota is sooooo ugly.

Watching the 24h LM again is fantastic, but boy oh boy that Toyota is ugly..... I will not be making a mould of that....no no no....

Cheers,

Jan

Some one will think the Toyota is pretty if it stays in the lead.

....the only place it is staying.....is UGLY

OMG,

Tonight I feel like I have been 15 rounds with Mohamed Ali.....after Garry Johnson finished his demolition of allcomers in the OAPR LMP race. He totally destroyed every record on the track and if it wasn't for the breakout time being set at 5.3 seconds he would have gone even quicker...as he had to hold off having broken out early on and we could not alter the breakout.

Wow...I am still reeling.....

Well done mate, that drive of yours tonight was amazing.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

Last night Grant unveiled his new Lola Aston Martin. What a beautiful machine.....and fast. He has allowed me to post some photo's of this masterpiece which I believe was painted by local maestro, Dean. The chassis is a RedRoo v1.0 with some Garry Johnson magic carbon bits.

imagejpg1.jpg

On it's first outing being campaigned by Grant and hired gun Gerald, they swept the floor with all of us - Stewy and myself were 5 laps back and Garry and Kim a further couple after 40 minutes and 415 laps.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

Well done Grant, nice car.....and well driven.

Cheers,

Jan

RE the possible dropping of this class in Europe ..... who cares? Its a Premium Class with a very good and stable set of rules. Keeping it going here in Aus, has my vote.

RE the possible dropping of this class in Europe ..... who cares? Its a Premium Class with a very good and stable set of rules. Keeping it going here in Aus, has my vote.

Bruce,

There is no chance of the LMP's being dropped in Europe, only perhaps in the OEPS. This is their top class too and guys like Sebastian and Fola will not let it go.

Cheers,

Jan

For the very small minority that want to race in Europe then by all means make the change.

The motor that is in the class right now is very strong and reliable. No change needed.

I wonder who these "people" are that think a motor change would be more appealing for this class. :P

It isn't broken so don't try and fix it.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

There is already a class to use the small can motor. There is no need to stuff up a perfectly good class.

Run a sprung plate with the long motor on top of the chassis, you only need to drill 2 holes.

I don't think it would make much difference, these things don't tip at all, they just swing and snap guides if you over drive them.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg