Springbok Racer

A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

would soft rubber or foam on a pan pivot, that has some vertical movement, be classed as suspension/spring?

i would, but i dont make the rules!

i hope all of your racing is enjoyed

slot on!

:)

www.slotcaraustralia.com

can someone please tell me where i can buy these bodys?

i have messaged Jan, but havent got a response yet?

slot on!

www.slotcaraustralia.com

A bit of clarification for the benefit of all re how to paint and decal your LMP... Spoke to Jan about this and the rules state any RACE CAR ( not specifically LMP) livery from the year 2000 can be used. That means even Holden V8 supercars or black spiders livery like on the Audi can be used. This is a good thing because there is less chance of "duplicated" cars racing around the track and confusing me more than I already am. Knock yourself out.. but remember if its a bit of a bazaar colour scheme you will need proof...

Hi all,

At our last race meeting Ashley Spendelove turned up with this beautiful Porsche RS Spyder.

c287c383-bfd3-40d2-b6fd-c444bebb1290.jpg

It really looked good on the track.

Kim also had a new Porsche but I did not get a photo of it, suppose Kim was not ready to have it photographed.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Hi all,

Went to Narangba last night and had a great 1 hour enduro with these on Andrew's fast and flowing track. He had the power turned down to 11volts but the LMP's still ran very impressive times.

Great to see the concept starting to take root with these fast guys.

Cheers,

Jan

Wow! We had an awesome night of racing at Jan's track last night with these "super" cars. The cars and drivers have all lifted their game recently which is providing exciting and close racing. We had 10 minutes racing on each lane [split into two lots of 5 minutes/per lane/driver].Grant and Gerald's cars have certainly found some extra pace in the last week or so which had them doing fastest race lap times on all four lanes. Kim the 'axeman' made along overdue appearance and drove like he'd never been away. Ash and Stewie's car was a little off the pace due to a serious prang in pre race practice.

After 40 minutes and over 400 laps of wheel to wheel racing the first three places were separated by less than two laps!

I was lucky and drew Jan [rocket man] as my partner and we sneaked across the line with a win and 415.35laps, then Gerald's team 414.15laps, then Grant's team 413.75laps and Ash's team 405.0laps

In the end, any of the teams had a winning combination, and the results were separated mainly by the least amount of 'offs'.

Bring on the next Race

Bruce

YES...it was a great race night Bruce.. So glad you guys have stuck it out and are now good competition. Jans track demands respect so I must commend you, Gerard, Grant and Jason for getting up to speed so quickly. I remember the first time you guys came to Jans and me giving you some lame "pep talk" on not being too disappointed with yourselves if your performance was a bit ordinary because, after all, you were now competing with some serious" racers with credentials that went way past club level. To your credit, you guys acquitted yourselves well to Jans "tough love" formula of having to extend yourselves every time you race at Ecurie Elite and its now bearing fruit.. I agree with Jan's formula, by keeping Foxes in Mini Z's, and not reducing track voltage to make it an easy drive for LMP's and Scaleauto's. Also it keeps us on our toes and improves our prospects for the big events.

Edited by axman

Hi all,

Last Wednesday night we ran these LMP's again and in a 400 plus-lap-race, the field was covered by 10 laps. How close is that? What is even more amazing is that all the cars have now been raced more than 18 months and have each done more than 60 hours of running without any major maintenance. The only replacement I have done, has been tyres - I've just put on a new set. The NSR 25 Evo's still seem good and the only way they are going to get replaced is when they are worn out. Knowing slot racers, I think most will replace bodies before long - one kinda get tired of the same body.

An Audi R18 and a Pescarola will be available in 2014.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

I really liked these cars to drive. Really had some grunt. Unfortunately there doesn't seem as yet much of a groundswell of interest in them down my way. Much prefer these to most other 1/24 class cars that have no punch or brakes. I think given some promotion this class could be a winner. They would be awesome on a larger track to really let them loose. The red roo chassis is the only one i have driven so far. Did Gary J ever build a chassis for this class?

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I really liked these cars to drive. Really had some grunt. Unfortunately there doesn't seem as yet much of a groundswell of interest in them down my way. Much prefer these to most other 1/24 class cars that have no punch or brakes. I think given some promotion this class could be a winner. They would be awesome on a larger track to really let them loose. The red roo chassis is the only one i have driven so far. Did Gary J ever build a chassis for this class?

Trevor,

The original prototype was made by Garry J and I still race it from time to time. However, bear in mind that this class is an open chassis concept. Not just any commercially available, but even a chassis you may create from different parts or even completely made yourself. This open concept is probably why it is taken longer than usual to become as popular as you suggest - some guys may not be confident in putting together a chassis using their own experience and skill. To promote on a national level, all we need is to run a proper LMP series and to possibly even combine it with some GT racing. When you're next on the Gold Coast, let me know and join us at EE.au for some serious enjoyment with these machines.

what about the Porsche????

Jason,

We have a Porsche - there are two racing at the moment, both Kim and Ashley are using the RS Spyders. Or did you have a different one in mind?

Cheers,

Jan

the new one Mark w\Webber will be racing next year would be nice.

Jason,

Agreed, but we don't have a mould for that yet......or a model to make one either. Maybe Fola will create one for us.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks Jan. I went to the OEPS website just for a browse. Has this class changed to a FK130 motor (fox type) away from the previous long can? Like the scaleauto class it would be nice to have a class that is raced nationally with a basic set of rules. (motors and voltages can always be changed to suit local tracks) Things like lexan thickness weight, clearance, widths etc. From the little experience I had with them the cars were really fun to drive fast and yet challenging to keep it fast.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Thanks Jan. I went to the OEPS website just for a browse. Has this class changed to a FK130 motor (fox type) away from the previous long can? Like the scaleauto class it would be nice to have a class that is raced nationally with a basic set of rules. (motors and voltages can always be changed to suit local tracks) Things like lexan thickness weight, clearance, widths etc. From the little experience I had with them the cars were really fun to drive fast and yet challenging to keep it fast.

Trevor,

The OEPS is the origin of this class as you will see in the very first post of this thread. However, the OAPR (Open Australian Prototype Racing) LMP's were created to follow the very successful Scale Auto formula and if you look back in this tread to the top of page 3, you will find the rules that we have been racing since inception - I don't think you can wish for a more stable set of rules. some might argue that the motor has changed, and it has from the very first proto type (SC-12 Scale Auto 25000rpm) and again to the NSR 25 KIng....and again to the NSR 25Evo - but each time it stayed a 25000 rpm motor and only changed because the motor at the time was discontinued by the manufactures.

The lexan body thickness is specified in the rules and has never changed.

Yes they are fun to drive - they have grunt, speed, reliability and the spares parts are common to our other model cars. They cost about $250 to start and then almost nothing to run - as I intemated before, I have only changed rear tires over the past two years ( I know that does not sound good for anyone with commercial interests and perhaps that is why local raceways don't get into them - too bad).

As racers we can organise interstate racing with these. You guys have a few down south, let's get it going, why not? Perhaps others can chime in here and give us some feedback - do you want to race these or not?

Just my 2c

Jan

I have to agree with Jan re the OAPR LMP's. We run virtual mini enduro's every 2nd week with these.. Usually 10 minute heats and so far over 12 months I've had to replace... NOTHING! They are a blast to drive.. and really sharpen your driving technique. You think your're going fast.. and then you realise you can go another level faster.. and still stay on. The big can motors seem to be indestructable and carry the extra weight without even getting hot.. As a result it does'nt seem to matter whether its a King, Evo, Sprinter or Enduro you have the possability of posting record lap times at both the start and finish of a race.

Its a great pity the new Plafit copy cars of this class only have the venerable Fox size can motor chassis cutout... an alternative chassis to the Red Roo it could only have enhanced this class of racing.... Sigh.. just another class now fractured that could have been the top Scale National class in Australia.

Edited by axman

plafit do make a slp chassis with the large cutout but they aernt imported into Australia unfortunately, so unfortunately this concept has been fractured as you say. Makes it impossible to have a cross over car so the financially challenged people like myself have to choose.I do see that OEPS run the short can SRP motor which is probably faster but wouldn't have the reliability of the big can motor as you and Jan suggest. Hopefully the OAPR concept takes off next year and we some racing at a national level they are a brilliant car to drive.

Jason,

Think outside the square mate!

You don't need the Plafit SLP (with the 18D cutout), simply use the SLPJ (with the small cut out) and either mount the motor on top of the base plate OR cut the motor opening longer to fit the NSR 25Evo.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Bruce,

That's great, experimentation and thinking outside the box, is exactly what this class is about.

Another great nights racing with these cars last night. Good to have three of the best Narangba boys join us and running their LMP's. Once again, nothing between 5 teams, less than 10 laps covering the field after 400 plus laps.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi all,

After the announcement earlier this week that these cars will again form part of the Qld state endurance championship in May 2014, all the drivers last night at EE.au lifted their game even higher.

When you have 5 teams battling it out for close on 420 laps in a 40 minute enduro dash, and less than 10 laps cover the field - you know that all the drivers are driving well and that the format is good.

Everyone racing these cars agree that it is the best racing we've had in a long while - especially when it get combined with the ever popular Scale Auto GT's. Not in the same race, but in separate racing formats on the same night/ weekend. These LMP's (not the same class as the Plafit FLM's) are lapping around 0.5 to 0.7 of a second faster than the SA's and therefor makes for seriously intense racing. However, getting the feel for the track and conditions using the SA's are always a good interlude to these big guns.

With growing interstate interest in these cars we will hopefully see them racing outside of Qld soon.

Cheers,

Jan

i will be pushing to introduce an oapr class, along with other nationally representitive classes, to the southern suburbs tracks in Adelaide! :)

slot on!

www.slotcaraustralia.com

Hi all,

Last night two new LMP's for the 2014 season showed up:

IMGP3067.jpg

The newly released Audi R18 has been built by Bruce

IMGP3070.jpg

and he showed it in fast fashion

IMGP3068.jpg

as he drove past the opposition to be quickest in free practice

IMGP3069.jpg

Not to be outdone, was Stewy's new Lola Aston Martin

IMGP3071.jpg

chasing hard after Bruce

IMGP3072.jpg

to be a close second in free practice

IMGP3073.jpg

I know of two other R18's, a Peugeot, an Acura and a new Pescarolo that are being finished at the moment - keep checking back here for more unveilings soon.

Cheers,

Jan

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

The first photo's of the newly released Pescarolo,

IMGP3075.jpg

and coming up to pass..

IMGP3076.jpg

...driving past

IMGP3077.jpg

...disappearing in the distance.

IMGP3078.jpg

Hopefully the new Audi R18's will be able to keep up.

Cheers,

Jan

The Puegeot 908 is a favourite of mine so after a much longer period than I care to think about I'm nearly there. A rear wing and some wheel inserts and away we go, hopefully quickly. Have enjoyed the process so far. Hope to run against the boys at Dapto soon, I know Cam will be building one.

Tinitn

IMG_2012_zpsa9794908.jpg,

IMG_2009_zps6620be72.jpg