A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

Springbok Racer

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

A few more fast creations have shown up, no doubt in preparation of the Qld State Endurance Championships coming up in May. Here is a shot from the top, showing a Peugeot Hdi and Audi R18.

DSCF1732.jpg

Here is the Pug, quarter front on...

DSCF1727.jpg

...side on...

DSCF1728.jpg

...and quarter rear.

DSCF1731.jpg

The same pose with the R18..

DSCF1718.jpg

also a side shot...

DSCF1721.jpg

and the end most other competitors will see... ;)

DSCF1724.jpg

They are not only good looking, they are seriously quick too, with 5,3's no problem around EE.au... :ph34r:

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Now I'll show how bad my photo's are... my LMP during the build.. using one of Gary J's jigs. The car was fast from day one. 2nd bad pic is a year later on the track at Jans. Love the NSR motor.. it gives these cars huge amount of punch, total reliability and very even racing. Really looking forward to Qld Endurance Champs only weeks away!

bgopsyQ.jpgrcb7kKy.jpg

Edited by axman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A few bits of clarification regarding the OAPR LMP car specification.

- The minimum total weight is 160.00 gram, NOT 160g rounded up on a scale that do not display the decimal point.

- The minimum rim (front and rear) outer diameter is 21.00mm, please make sure that you either make your rims to that minimum or if you purchase a set of rims that they are that minimum.

- The use of independent front wheels are allowed and the method of independence is not specified.

- Axle material and diameter is not specified.

Think outside the box on this class - it is open to new ideas. Only pay close attention to what has been specified. We want to encourage experimentation and do justice to the panicle class in 24th scale model car racing.

Enjoy.

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Last night at EE.au we again had some amazingly close battles with these cars. The total field of 12 cars were covered by 6 laps (excluding one driver who had some issues with car setup). The top two ended within 0.25 of a lap from each other with the next four drivers, one lap back on the same lap covered by 0.45 of a lap.....how close is that for the fastest class running at EE.au?

No wonder that more and more guys are getting into the OAPR LMP class. I have been told they may get introduced at the 2015 MCN, the 2015 HSC Endurance Champs and possibly even in NZ.

Cheers,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my creation that I have been working on:

776.jpg

An Aston Martin with my own chassis design, the first went extreamly well but it had a fixed rear end, although it was good on the flowing track of Narangba it proved too taily at Ecurie Elite but showed promise on the difficult Drivers track.

MK1

f492f435-bddb-4ed0-a810-51c065f0beda.jpg

Looks very similar to an Plafit SLP2, it's where I got my Idea from, make a bigger version of that chassis to suit this class.

MK2

SlotcarChassis2.jpg

This is the design of the chassis in the top picture, I am just hoping that my Carbon arrives on Tuesday so I can get the two rear suspension parts cut out in time for final testing.

I have entered into the Qld Endurance Champs with two other Kiwi's and I hope this car proves to be quicker than theirs although they are both very fast, either way those that will be in Qld next month can have a look and maybe a drive to see how it goes.

I have to thank Jan and others for putting this class together, it is what has allowed me the freedom to create my own Scale Slot Car Design. more to come.......................

Cheers

Paul

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Paul. Very nice work.

Jan's Roo chassis is very nice straight out of the 'packet'. To find extra handling speed over it is very difficult and takes a lot of time and development.

It's nice to see a new design - good luck.

Bruce

Hi all,

Every time someone introduces a new development in this class, it is getting better. Better handling and faster - without us changing any of the rules. We are still running a 25k motor, same weights, same gearing, same wheel diameters and same ride height and spurs. The stability of the ruleset and the ingenuity for our car builders, together with driver skill has seen this class go almost 3 tenths at Ecurie and 4 tenths of a second quicker at Birkdale within two years. This also has to be seen against the fact that they have been the quickest scale model cars to run around these tracks. And they can go even faster if we were only choosing all out speed - this was proved at Ecurie; by changing the gearing we can go another 2 tenths quicker, and if we upped the motor to a 30k, another tenth - or push the track voltage over 12volt. But we won't, as they are producing exactly the close racing we want. The other night we drove 10 minute brackets with 9 local drivers at Ecurie - the winner did 433 and the last guy 411 laps. Not bad after 40 minutes of intense racing. We briefly tried them at Thunderbirds MCN in 2012 and HSC in 2013 during a bit of a play - when we start racing these at those venues, the progress will be good to watch too.

Keep doing your own thing in this class - make all the modification that you think will work best - just stay within the parameters as set out in the regulations.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks for introducing this class of racing Jan.. Love the fact we can build cars to known... and not changing parameters. I can see a few racers that have held back but now have the confidence to start developing. Great to see Paul building his own version.. the workmanship and execution looks very good. I know of a couple of other cars racers have on the drawing board so the class is hotting up. Looking forward to racing with Shane and Noel in the big event next week... It's going to be fast!

What a great class of racing. Where do I purchase chassis and bodies etc so I can start building?. Local hobby store can't get Plafit so was wondering about redroo or others. Thanks.

PM sent, Jan (Springbok Racer) can supply you with a body kit of choice and a RedRoo chassis, or you could try one of my new creations, I have 4 of them on the shelf ready to go, just fit a motor and a body and you are racing.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Peoples,

Thanx so much for this thread. Read it from start to finish and tho I haven't touched a hand controller since the early 90s ... I'm in hopefully.

So great, a class where your allowed to experiment with the chassis ... So cool.

Greg

Hi Paul,

not sure of the exact breakup but there were at least 3 different brands of chassis. There were also at least 2 variations of the Redroo, so perhaps 5 different chassis/variations from 6 cars. No 2 liveries were the same and Paul's chassis show bucket loads of potential: his car looked awesome!

Both days (Scaleauto & LMP) were run extremely well and all drivers drove with speed and respect. It was fun, competitive and a pleasure to compete in.

Mark

Hi,

Just for interest sake:

1st - Jokers - Peugeot - standard RedRoo

2nd - Narangba - Lola - standard RedRoo

3rd - NSR - Peugeot - modified RedRoo

4th - GC Eagles - Audi R15 - standard RedRoo

5th - Phoenix - Peugeot - Johnson/RedRoo

6th - Kiwi Audi - Aston Martin - Pk Designs

No question, both Cam's chassis (which they did not use) and Paul's PkD were beautifully made and showed serious ability. All bodes well for this class.

As Jason mentioned, was it not for the unfortunate lead wire break suffered by Narangba, the Jokers lead after 4 hours of racing would not have been more than 24 seconds at the end of the race - quite amazing.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

This is the car I built just in time for the Queensland event. Finished last Monday and express posted to Andrew's Narangba track track for testing. With a few tweaks from Andrew, it was looking good running in the low 6.2's which I believe are very good times, about a 1/10 faster than his RedRoo. A bit of a different story at Jan's track, the very short Lola body on the Redroo was a bit nicer through the tight corners on the gutter lanes and running slightly quicker times so it was given the nod for the race.

Not sure if I will build another, lots of hours have gone into this one. I would change a few things if I do.

13926401349_0d7bc0581d_z.jpg

13926439258_743dc09c12_z.jpg

13926443638_d6da433d68_z.jpg

13926399959_bbf96d3fcd_z.jpg

14133117783_22bab5d443_z.jpg

14089897206_4b7182559f_z.jpg

14109981832_6b84bf6597_z.jpg

13926429610_56e1d1ace6_z.jpg

Cheers,

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Cam, you made a great job of that car! I love the swirl the mill left on the base plate, I will post a few pics of my car tomorrow after I have cleaned it up, very different design and similar times at Narangba, we also suffered with not enough traction out of the corners, I dont think it was the wheel base though I just think it was too tight in the rear, after I made an adjustment half way it was much better but our motor was fried, the gear mesh could be heard from NSW and our race had been run at that stage. I was pleased to finish though and actually had a result, it was a good test for my chassis and I have started to refine it already and will run it and keep tuning it till it gets up to speed.

Big Thanks to Jan and Garry J, I had a great time

Team Kiwi will be back, with a lot of leasons learnt.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I know everybody is focusing on the chassis... but check out the way Cam finished the body! Certainly would have won concours. The highlight of Sundays LMP race for me was having a 20 minute dice with Cam. I just couldn't get past which was just as well because we were both flat out doing identical times - it was like the two cars were connected by a rubber band. Cam commented later he did'nt blink for the whole 20 minutes :lol:

I know everybody is focusing on the chassis... but check out the way Cam finished the body! Certainly would have won concours. The highlight of Sundays LMP race for me was having a 20 minute dice with Cam. I just couldn't get past which was just as well because we were both flat out doing identical times - it was like the two cars were connected by a rubber band. Cam commented later he did'nt blink for the whole 20 minutes :lol:

I'm hearing you Kim,Cams body was probably the best Lexan finished car I've seen & would probably go close to winning concourse in Europe.

Dicing with someone of equal car speed & driving ability is what we all look forward to & pray for every time we enter a race,in years to come we'll forget who won or where you finished,just remember that dice.

Had the pleasure to drive Cam's LMP just before he left for Qld & for a car with minimal tuning it was very very nice to drive & I know a few guys that would kill for his practice body.

To finsh first,first you gotta finish