A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

Springbok Racer

Hi Noel,

Yes, it will be good to run these cars at HSC - unfortunately it will only be on an informal basis as we will not actually get to race them. The weekend is reserved in the main for the great Scale Auto class, which of course is complimentary to the LMP's in the past three World Champs.

Talk of BIG track; I anticipate similar lap times to most of the tracks where we are currently running the LMP's - being in the mid 5's. The 110 Johnson at HSC is only 10 feet longer than EE.au (and Narangba) but a higher speed track. It is also about the same length as Adelaide, but not as fast - I think the lap times with these on the Thunderbirds track will be close to 5 seconds flat. In comparison to the Scale Auto cars most guys will find the LMP's to be similar in top end speed, but much quicker trough the corners due to their superior handling. This makes for lap times around 1/2 second quicker than the Scale Auto's - which of course is a realistic differential as we have in 1:1 endurance racing where the GT's and the LMP's race together.

2013 is going to be a good year for us to settle down the LMP's and get use to them. Some events are already on the drawing board to race them on an interstate basis this year. Announcements will be made shortly.

Cheers,

Jan

My guess Jan was that the Scale Autos would be doing around 5.9s to 6.0s on the Hornsby track so 5.5s for the LMP should be on the money.

Noel

Guest jazzbell

Looking forward for track practice tonight.

Nice and refreshed chassis and the new evo 25k. I think this will do some serious times on the T-Bird track.

Also stepped the car build up another notch with my new gear and wheel balancing tool.

proto001.jpg

proto002.jpg

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Guest jazzbell

Some feed back on some testing last night guy's. Unbelievably fast and so easy to drive.

This is a class that i hope really kicks off like the scaleauto.

The Nsr EVO 25k is a treat with great torque and speed,very good choice of motor for this class. At 160grams this could even handle a 12 pinion know problems with the brakes these motors have.

It's amazing how hard you can push in to and around corners with out de-sloting. Cornering speed is insane.

Guy's who know the Thunderbird track know what sort of times the modle cars go around in,well the LMP was lapping at low 4.9 seconds breaking 4.8's lap after lap. Super fast.

forgot to mention how great they look too. Next body an open cockpit with a Gary Johnson chassis.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Cant wait until the Qld enduro at Jan's in April now

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Cant wait until the Qld enduro at Jan's in April now

Well I suppose with that, the 'cat is out the bag', as the saying goes....... :rolleyes: I will post details of this event during February, but in the meantime anyone interested in a weekend of scale driving on the Gold Coast, using the Scale Auto's and the OAPR LMP's over the 19th to 21st April period - send me a PM and I'll add you to the evergrowing informal list of drivers and teams.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Some feed back on some testing last night guy's. Unbelievably fast and so easy to drive.

This is a class that i hope really kicks off like the scaleauto.

The Nsr EVO 25k is a treat with great torque and speed,very good choice of motor for this class.

It's amazing how hard you can push in to and around corners with out de-sloting. Cornering speed is insane.

Guy's who know the Thunderbird track know what sort of times the modle cars go around in,well the LMP was lapping at low 4.9 seconds breaking 4.8's lap after lap. Super fast.

forgot to mention how great they look too.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Hi Shane,

Last night we gave them a run and Noel ran his with the NSR 25 Evo, mine still had the SC-12 Scale Auto (25000) in. It was obvious that the Evo was still running in, but also clear that it had superior acceleration and brakes. This is definitely the motor for this class as it will lap EE.au in the mid 5's with a good driver at the control, as well as give everyone else the quickest (comparable voltage) scale driving experience of all our racing classes.

With interest now being shown across the country in these LMP's, I have no doubt that we will see more and more endurance races being organised with them. They are great for sprint racing, but superb endurance cars and sharing the experience with a mate is fantastic.

In future at EE.au we will be doing short 1 hour enduro's at club level, so that our drivers will get use to driving a fast, great handling car, for 15 minutes at a time.

Remember to bring your LMP for a show-and-drive at HSC in Feb.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

• 2 weeks later...

Jan,

These cars look well thought out and high quality. I would love to build one.

Can I ask how much a Red Roo chassis and the bodies are approximately?

And how strict is the colours/livery, I have bad eye sight and have used colours I can distinguish from others on the track for over 30 years in various types of cars.

Jan,

These cars look well thought out and high quality. I would love to build one.

Can I ask how much a Red Roo chassis and the bodies are approximately?

And how strict is the colours/livery, I have bad eye sight and have used colours I can distinguish from others on the track for over 30 years in various types of cars.

Dennis

Jan is in South Africa at the moment so he may take a little longer then usual to respond to your query . But respond I'm sure he will as he is as passionate about these cars as he is about the Scale Auto. And yes they are great to drive fast and really test your reflexes and controller set up. By the by Garry J is designing a chassis which is compliant with this class, and there are many others that suit as well.

Noel

Edited by Noel B

Hi Rythm Willie, I'm building my Red Roo at the moment.. Coming up really nice. Whats good is the running gear is all my hand me down bits. "just below legal 1.4mm Scaleauto wheels" and left over bits from various Plafit cars I have campaigned in the past. I'm pleased to be painting Lexan again... my understanding is the Lexan body can be painted in virtually any fantasy livery but not Wing Car type fluro colours. Race numbers, 3D driver etc is also a must.

Update whoops my bad... virtually any fantasy Hmm.. I'm now pretty sure I am wrong on that one.. Just found Jan's body "Livery" rule. "Must be scaled down livery of any car back to year 2000" Damm.. just painted a nice Emirates Airlines body with stickers I got from Patto's. (hate the small print).

Edited by axman

Hi guys,

Yes I am a little out of sync at the moment - 8 hours behind you guys.

Wow, what wild weather we're having back home, just hope my wife packed up all my toys before she worried about her shoes......:-)

Dennis/Kim,

This class will pretty much go through a 'development year' in 2013. I believe any livery that looks like a race car and is not a painted yogurt cup, will be just fine, during 2013. We aim to have the same process of regulation agreement towards the end of 2013, as we had at the end of 2012 with the Scale Auto cars. So please build yourself an OAPR LMP, try to stick with the current regulations as best as possible, making sure you have the right motor, gearing, wheels etc and let's race. Here is a link to what we have at the moment - as was proposed in 2012 http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15006-a-new-concept-in-124th-racing-is-borne/page__st__40 Once we've had a few races (the first big one coming up in April - will post info in February), we can start to throw some ideas around. I intend starting a discussion regarding everyone's thoughts for racing them in 2014, later in this year.

Costs of building one of these cars can be as little as buying a body kit for about $20, if you do it from all you bits and pieces in your tool box or making your own chassis - to buying every piece you need for a complete car at around $250. So depending on what you want to do, the amount you spend is up to you.

Here is the link for a more detailed explanation of the Red Roo, posted last year on this forum

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15019-oapr-lmp-chassis-options/

Should anyone need more information on costs, please send me a PM - I don't really want to turn this forum into a shopping experience, and what is more, I'm not a shop either. Simply trying to get the concept going and helping where I can. I guess Garry will approach the whole thing pretty much the same way with his chassis alternative(s).

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Mmmm, designing my own chassis??? Where's that EDM machine and some old spring steel plates I used to cut perimeter chassis out of?

Dennis,

I like your thinking....that is exactly what this class encourages. You are absolutely free to do your own thing with these cars - as long as you stay within the boundaries of the car specifications.

This class caters for everyone's interest - both commercial and self development leading to own manufacture and modification based on personal likes and dislikes.

Enjoy.

Jan

Where's that EDM machine and some old spring steel plates I used to cut perimeter chassis out of?

Why would you EDM spring steel, very difficult to drill and tap or post process?

Brass is denser, easier to machine and won't rust.

Hoo Roo

Thats right Cam... Hey Dennis, the only soldering here is the lead wires... (I know old habits and skills are hard to break) and brass is much nicer to work with. This class is perfect for all those frustrated "engineers" out there that want to grind file and tap tap away into the night. Best of all there's no solder fumes to compete with the years of abuse we've done to our bodies from spray goo, track cleaning solutions and too many all nighters before the big event.

Why would you EDM spring steel
,.. ????,..Ahh,..Cos' it's a HEAP Easier (although more costly), than using a Pile of Dremel Cut-Off wheels !!!,..lol

Plus, there Are Steels that Can be 'Worked', Prior to Final Heat Treatment, that allow Holes and Threads etc to be 'applied'.

If you are intending to Make a Number of Similar Items, EDM Wire Cutting and Spark Erosion, is Not 'Out of the Question' Price wise,..these days. More of a case of finding an agreeably friendly enginnering shop[ prepared to do the Work.

Mind you,..Cam IS correct,..in that for cars of this style, one Would have to suggest that a nice 'Hunk' of Brass would be more suitable due to it's density!,..

:)

Whilst I DO like the Idea of the 'Theoretical' Scratch-built aspect of what this class Could Offer, it is also Sadly one that Realistically requires a reasonable Home Workshop, or atleast access to one, if one really wishes to produce a Custom Design.

Heck, I don't even own a Drill Press.

I hand build All my Retro Cars in the Kitchen at the moment, (as I Don't have ANY kind of workshop), using ONLY Hand Tools and do Not require Drilling/Tapping Anything.

Why would you EDM spring steel
,.. ????,..Ahh,..Cos' it's a HEAP Easier (although more costly), than using a Pile of Dremel Cut-Off wheels !!!,..lol

Plus, there Are Steels that Can be 'Worked', Prior to Final Heat Treatment, that allow Holes and Threads etc to be 'applied'.

If you are intending to Make a Number of Similar Items, EDM Wire Cutting and Spark Erosion, is Not 'Out of the Question' Price wise,..these days. More of a case of finding an agreeably friendly enginnering shop[ prepared to do the Work.

Your right, it's not out of the question if you have tons of money.

Edm feed rates are way, way slower than CNC milling brass, probably by a factor close to 100, then you still have to design, program the machine + drill holes to feed the wire through.

It's about the last material I would use for this application.

Hoo Roo

Boys, took the bait!

Just stirring/thinking out the square, I know there is no solder and I can't afford EDM machining , but if designed properly, it would not have to have tapped threads (just recessed screw heads in the bottom) and controlled flex is what used to make our old spring steel cars(and current Eurosport cars around the world) outhandle anything.

I would think Garry J will come up with something really good/different, he has had past success in making chassis out of carbon fibre etc.

Edited by Rhythm Willie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

The LMP's are growing in popularity up here, had some good endurance type racing last night. The boys cannot stop talking about how well these cars handle and how quick they are - ON 12VOLT. Basically the quickest things (bar some super duper flexis) on my track. Even quicker than the Plafit F1's (on 13.8volt).

Here are three new ones that showed up last night...............will bring them to HSC on the weekend. I believe we should have about a dozen or so to play with after or in between the Scale Auto and HSC Historics racing.

IMGP3038.jpg

.......the Kangaroo R10 is a bit tongue in cheek, but within the spirit of the current rules.

Cheers,

Jan

Last weekend at Hornsby was our first chance to really try the LMP's on something bigger than a "garage track" and... wow! Although using the same NSR Evo motor as the Scaleauto's (but with an 11 tooth pinion) about 9 cars circulated the Johnston Flat track running times between 5.4 and 5.7 secs.. Considering these cars have had no "track tuning" Noel, Jan and I feel 5.2's are not out of the question... and thats on just 12 volts!

bring it on!