A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

Springbok Racer

Cam, the whole handout motor thing could go on forever and if you feel so strongly about it you should start a "hand out motor" topic by itself. This section is for OAPR chassis /car concept.

To push for handout motors is going to open up a can of worms.

Will do.

Hoo Roo

Hi guys,

Perhaps it should have been mentioned before (it was under another thread) but these cars are run on 12 volt. This will make it compatible with other classes where 12 volt is being used. Classes like Scale Auto and open Mini Z Grp C's. By using a common voltage to these classes we have found it to make track operation and allowing practice of even our 32nd entrants much easier as the track voltage don't have to be changed all the time. In most cases the 12 volt setting is also compliant with most of today's sealed can motor specifications as published by the various motor manufacturers.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Guest jazzbell

This is one class that will have my full support and i can't wait to get my hands on these bodies and chassis.

My opinion as long as it looks to scale, why not have a class with the option on what other commercially chassis are available out their.

Love the lexan bodies and love my LMP cars. 2013 is looking good.

Jan to make it easy on your return trip home from Adelaide in June, feel free to leave the cars with me. :)

Hope we can all get behind this like we all are with the Scaleauto.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Shane,

This is the top class and therefore the chassis are open as long as they're held together with nuts and bolts. We're missing out on local development and manufacture by having no open chassis classes in model car racing, hopefully we'll see some innovation in this class. There's lots of scope for not only new chassis but new parts for old chassis and they can be race tested before going into production.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has responded (some in person, others by phone and yet more by PM) so positively to this new concept and the whole OAPR idea.

The bodies are starting to get out there, guys are sorting out chassis and discussions are going on deep into the night. This is very exciting and we are all in for a huge amount of fast, well handling slot racing fun.

Keep the comments, questions, phone calls and PM's coming.

Jan

Hi guys,

Well it seems that our new concept is also finding interest in other parts of the world, judging by the PM's I have been fielding.

Some guys have been asking about the wheelbase measurements of these cars. This is a very good question as the chassis choices will be limited due to their adjustment capabilities. Based on currently available bodies, one should consider the shortest wheelbase is the open cockpit Lola LMP2 at 113.5mm. Whilst at the other end of the scale we have the Audi R15 with a 125.4mm wheelbase.

The other bodies require the following wheelbases; Acura - 114.2mm, Porsche RS Spyder - 119.3mm, Peugeot LMP1 - 121.8mm, Lola Aston Martin LMP1 - 121.9mm and the Audi R10 - 123.8mm.

Most chassis choices will favour either short or long wheelbases, very few will be able to cover the complete range. However it is possible to find a few if it is important to have a chassis that will be suitable for both the shortest and th longest wheelbase. Personally, I think car builders must first decide on the body they like and then find or build a chassis to suit.

Cheers,

Jan

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've been on the forum and I thought it good to show you a few more LMP's that have been running:

The shortest wheelbase car of the lot is the Lola B70, but definately one of the prettiest - this one was done by Dean who races with us at Ecurie Elite.au

LolaB70.jpg

Here is another short wheelbase car, the Acura, this one was also done by Dean.....

2012-10-11-103.jpg

Dean has been busy and did this Audi R15 for one of our other guys.... this is the longest wheelbase car, but a very capable competitor, in 2010 this body won the OEPS....

2012-10-11-104.jpg

This Acura is currently campaigned by Stewy and is very, very quick .... he has done a great job with setup and making the chassis to his liking...

2012-10-10-102.jpg

So with all this going on, I decided it was time to build myself a new Peugeot Hdi FAP....

Cheers,

Jan

Hi again,

Well I normally do all the decal work (like Dean) from the inside on lexan bodies. This is a bit more delicate as one has to make sure the body is very clean and has no oil or release agent remaining. Also, unless the decals are reverse printed, one needs to use some sort of adhesion liquid to make the decals stick to the inside. I guess all this is why most guys (like Stewy and Garry) will be using either vinyl stick on decals or simply put the decals on the outside..... it is up to you, do whatever works for you.

2012-10-07-099.jpg

Once the decals are done, I use some clear and brush the edges before I (hand) paint the body...

2012-10-09-101.jpg

....I still need to add 2 grams of weight to the completed car so that it will come up to the minimum allowed weight of 160 grams for this class......

2012-10-09-100.jpg

...but that will go in to fine tune the chassis and setup where I deem it best placed. In fact once I find the right spot for that weight I might remake that part of the chassis with either more material, thicker material, or even a different material (don't really like bits of lead on my cars) ....

Till next time....see ya,

Jan

I have a plan Noel,

1 - fill his oil bottle with acid flux

2 - rewire his controller plug when he's not looking

3 - if 1 and 2 don't work we bring in 'Olaf the Enforcer' to 'persuade' him that he needs to slow down.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

I have a plan Noel,

1 - fill his oil bottle with acid flux

2 - rewire his controller plug when he's not looking

3 - if 1 and 2 don't work we bring in 'Olaf the Enforcer' to 'persuade' him that he needs to slow down.

Ha ha ha, what an absolute great bunch of guys to be mates with. Maybe I'lI just surrender and come second for a change...... I really enjoy your fantastic attitude to our racing.....it is no big deal to get lapped by one of you.....all of you are awesome drivers.

Thanks

Jan

Hi guys,

Lately I have been fielding a number calls and PM's from various parts of our great land regarding the rules for these OAPR LMP's and I thought it perhaps a good idea to share what we are using at the moment for this class. It is perhaps also a good idea to get some input for the 2013 season as we can then fine tune these regulations and bring it up to a standard that we can all use in the new year. Here is what we have at the moment, please read it and ask any questions you might have, the guys currently racing these LMP's will happily explain the reasoning behind some of the points:

The 2012 OAPR Car Specifications V1.3 - (acknowledging its origin being the 2012 OEPS Guidelines).

OAPR – Open Australian Prototype Racing

1. DESCRIPTION

Any true 1/24 scale representation of a 1/1 LMP (Le Mans Prototype) car that has raced in the American Le Mans Series or the European Le Mans Series in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011.

All liveries must be of scaled down 1:1 appearance, however colour combinations and liveries from other modern (year 2000 to present) race cars may be used.

The Oreca Racing ‘FLM’ Formula Le Mans car is not classified as LMP1 or LMP2 in either the LMS or ALMS and therefore is not permitted to run in the OAPR.

2. WEIGHTS and MEASUREMENTS

2.01 Minimum total weight: 160.00 grams

2.02 Maximum front spur: 83.00 mm

2.03 Maximum rear spur: 83.00 mm

2.04 Minimum ground clearance at the start of the race: 1.00 mm

2.05 Minimum ground clearance during and after the race: 0.40 mm

2.06 Minimum front rim outer diameter: Ø21.00 mm.

2.07 Minimum front wheel outer diameter: Ø25.20 mm

2.08 Minimum front wheel width 6.00 mm

2.09 Minimum front rim width 6.00 mm

2.10 Minimum width of front tyre contact area 6.00 mm

2.11 Maximum front wheel camber angle: 3.00°

2.12 Minimum rear rim outer diameter: Ø21.00mm.

2.13 Minimum rear wheel diameter: Ø 26.50 mm.

2.14 Maximum rear wheel diameter: Ø 27.50 mm.

2.15 Rear wheel width and contact area always 13.00 mm – minimal rounding of edges are allowed.

2.16 Maximum width of main chassis plate: 78mm

3. MOTOR, GEAR AND PINION

3.01 The race motor must always be a long can 25 000rpm motor (18D length not 13D). Unopened and always with the wrapped label intact.

3.02 The pinion and spur gear is fixed at 11:44T M50 pitch respectively.

4. CHASSIS

NB! - The chassis is completely open provided it adheres to the specifications in these regulations. You may use any commercially available chassis, mix parts from various chassis, modify any part of the chassis as you see fit and even build your own chassis.

4.01 Only one part of the chassis that is allowed to enter the track slot, and this part may not have a longer contact area than 27 mm.

4.02 Differentials are not allowed.

4.03 Magnets are only present in the motor, and are not allowed anywhere else on/in the chassis.

4.04 Chassis must have vertical movement, some of which must be sprung for suspension purposes.

4.05 All chassis assembly must be by means of bolts and nuts, no self-threading screws, solder or glue may be used.

4.06 The motor cannot be affixed to the chassis with solder.

4.07 Minimum and maximum wheelbase must always be centred within the front and rear wheel arches of homologated bodies.

5. WHEELS & INSERTS

5.1 FRONT WHEELS

5.11 The front wheels must make contact with the track or techblock over the full 6 mm, or more.

5.12 The use of cambered front wheels does not void in any way the rule regarding the minimum diameter, or the rule regarding the contact surface with the track or the tech block.

5.13 Front wheel diameter for cambered front wheels will be measured at the largest present diameter, which has to be respecting rule 2.07.

5.2 REAR WHEELS

5.21 Rear wheels are always Scale Auto ProComp 3 or Plafit rubber. Tyre dressing of any kind is not allowed during the official practise, qualifying or during the race. The race tyres may only be cleaned using tape or Shellite supplied by the OAPR/race organization.

5.3 SPUR

5.31 None of the wheels may be visible when viewing the assembled car from above. Spur will be measured over the complete rims left and right, including wheel inserts.

5.4 WHEEL INSERTS

5.41 All 4 wheels of the car must be fitted with 3-dimensional ( flat sheet or photo edged not allowed) wheel inserts, resembling the wheels of the real 1:1 car, during the entire race duration

6. BODY & ACCESORIES

6.1Only vacuum formed 15 thou clear bodies are allowed. Provided these bodies have been homologated by the OAPR organisers.

6.2 MATERIAL

6.21 Body must be manufactured and/or assembled from one or more of the following materials: PVC, PET, PETG or Lexan.

6.22 The exterior of the body has to accurately represent the 1/1 car. This is to the discretion of the scrutineers to judge(s). No widened, stretched, flattened or smoothed silhouette style bodies will be allowed.

6.23 The same materials are allowed for the interior, windows etc., rear wing, diffuser and small add-on parts. Lexan is allowed for a rear vertical aero wing e.g. 2011 Peugeot 908, etc. All wing mounts must be the correct shape and can be made from rubber.

6.24 The body must cover all chassis and axle parts, so that no chassis part or axle part is visible when the car is viewed from above. This also includes the guide or any part thereof.

6.3 BODY INTERIOR

6.31 Interior must contain at least the following 3-dimensional items:

Dashboard (optional).

Steering wheel,

Painted driver figure with arms and legs,

Painted head/helmet combination in a hard plastic material.

6.4 BODY EXTERIOR

6.41 Bodies must be equipped with:

Front windshield and side windows if existing on the 1/1 race car

Front splitter if existing on the 1/1 race car

Rear spoiler /wing (may be made from flat sheet)

Rear view mirror(s) (optional)

Wiper (s) (optional)

Rear diffuser (optional)

Light inserts.

7. LIGHTS (only for night races).

7.1 Functioning lights have to be present at least during night racing. These lights have to be installed (even during day racing) on their original 1/1 positions on the car.

7.2 Front lights: minimum two lights in total, one left, one right, yellow or white color, bright beam.

7.3 Rear lights: minimum two lights in total, one left, one right, red color, diffuse light.

7.4 Cars must always be fitted with light inserts even if no actual lights are fitted (compulsory for day races).

Thank you for checking these out, please feel free to let me know if there is anything I need to explain.

Enjoy racing these very quick Scale LMP's

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Thanks Jan for giving us a true scale model class that has non of the usual limited boundaries. Best of all is the running gear and motor from my slowest Scaleauto (the one that looks like the chassis has been made out of an indian gate hinge) are the same spec's as required for the OAPR LMP. So... I'm a lazy AND cheap racer!

Edited by axman

Kim,

Thanks mate, always appreciate the opinion of great slotracers as yourself.

Do you want to know something funny, your Scale Auto Chassis will actually fit under a few of the LMP's too. To this end I would like to point out that the biggest issue in finding a commercial chassis for this class is the wheelbase of these cars - they are long buggers. Here is a list of all the wheelbases:

- Acura 114.2mm

- Audi R10 123.8mm

- Peugeot 121.8mm

- Lola Aston Martin 121.9mm

- Audi R15 125.4mm

- Porsche RS Spyder 119.3mm

- Lola B70 113.5mm

- Audi R18 122.6mm

- Pescarola 116.5mm

So if you don't want to build your own chassis, try the following options: Plafit 1700 (with a long base plate), Plafit SLP1 (or J if you run the motor on top of the base plate), Scholer 5518GT, Plafit 1300Excell or the Scale Auto chassis.

Have fun, join the LMP endurance series - starting seriously in 2013 country wide. Ask about it at your local raceway or Scale Model car club. Failing that, send me a PM.

Cheers,

Jan

4.04 Chassis must have vertical movement, some of which must be sprung for suspension purposes.

Sorry boys ,but my reading is no scale auto unless you modify to introduce suspension . No room for the lazy here Kim . :P

Paul,

Yes you can use the Scale Auto chassis, provided, you introduce some suspension - which is quite easy to do. Doing this will be perfectly fine as you are allowed to modify and or change any chassis, in any way you please - you only need to stay within the overall regulations. As a suggestion, should you want to make use of the Scale Auto chassis - insert springs between the T-plate and the main plate, etc.

Let's think outside the box - this is what the LMP's encourage,

Cheers,

Jan

• 2 months later...

Hi Noel,

Yes I think the NSR 25 EVO will be a good motor for this class in 2013 (specifically for big events) and together with the 11:44 fixed gearing will give us all a good starting point to race this class in it's first full year. I guess, like every other class we race, development will come with competition and we will - between the racers and competitors - hone this class to all of our liking.

By using the NSR 25 EVO most of the guys racing the 1/24th Scale Auto class will already have the NSR 25 King and some may even have the EVO from the Scale Auto enduro's - so adapting will be effortless and above all will mean that they can also use their rear tyres when they get too small for the Scale Auto GT's. Thereby getting maximum value for money from their axles, spur gears, rear tyres and motors - not to mention guides, bearings and wheel inserts.

We'll showcase the LMP's at HSC with the 8 hour Scale Auto enduro and it should become clear to everyone what a great class this will be to combine with the much loved Scale Auto's.

So bring your LMP's to HSC and we'll give them a bit of a run to show everyone.

Cheers,

Jan

Guest jazzbell

The new Evo NSR 25k is a great motor with good torque,will handle the 11-44 gear ratio with ease,very good brakes.

Looking forward for this class up and running,cars look great and they handle magic.

Regards shane a

Team thunderbird

We'll showcase the LMP's at HSC with the 8 hour Scale Auto enduro and it should become clear to everyone what a great class this will be to combine with the much loved Scale Auto's.

Yes it will be great to give the LMP's a run on a big track Jan.. I'm looking forward as much to this as I am to the SA enduro.

Not many sleeps to go now .

Noel B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Noel,

Yes, it will be good to run these cars at HSC - unfortunately it will only be on an informal basis as we will not actually get to race them. The weekend is reserved in the main for the great Scale Auto class, which of course is complimentary to the LMP's in the past three World Champs.

Talk of BIG track; I anticipate similar lap times to most of the tracks where we are currently running the LMP's - being in the mid 5's. The 110 Johnson at HSC is only 10 feet longer than EE.au (and Narangba) but a higher speed track. It is also about the same length as Adelaide, but not as fast - I think the lap times with these on the Thunderbirds track will be close to 5 seconds flat. In comparison to the Scale Auto cars most guys will find the LMP's to be similar in top end speed, but much quicker trough the corners due to their superior handling. This makes for lap times around 1/2 second quicker than the Scale Auto's - which of course is a realistic differential as we have in 1:1 endurance racing where the GT's and the LMP's race together.

2013 is going to be a good year for us to settle down the LMP's and get use to them. Some events are already on the drawing board to race them on an interstate basis this year. Announcements will be made shortly.

Cheers,

Jan