A New Concept In 1/24Th Racing Is Borne.

Springbok Racer

Hi guys,

From an earlier post you will have noticed that we launched a new concept for 1/24th racing here in our part of the world. It has been named the OAPR (Open Australian Proptotype Racing). It has it's origin in the very successfull OEPS (Open European Prototype Series) as started, organised and inspired by 5 times World Model Car Champion - Nick De Wachter and his team of helpers. This in itself grew from the World Premiere Event held in Toronto, Canada in 2009 where Simon Wakelin and myself campaigned a Porsche RS Spyder (developed by Mr. Kudo in Japan)to an overall 5th position amongst a reduced but formidable world presence:

IMGP2855.jpg

From this first venture onto the world endurance racing scene, ausFORCE went to Germany in 2010 to take on the best of the best in their own backyard:

DSCN3066.jpg

Tim, Werner and I came away with a solid eighth place and made our mark in this class with these wonderful cars:

DSCN3096.jpg

Finally (and hopefully not the last time) ausFORCE again went to the World Endurance Championships in 2011 and this time managed to place an even better 6th place:

IMGP2856.jpg

....this time amongst teams that have been racing this concept for more than 3 years on a regular basis:

03092011047.jpg

Drivers being Tim, Noel and myself:

photo.jpg

So with all this behind us we decided it was time to bring the concept home and to get something going. Therefore the cars and chassis that you will be introduced to are new and exciting, although a little differrent to make it somewhat simpler for everyone. The idea was to draw on the very succesfull formula of the OEPS, but to start it off by also running the concept cars in sprint racing with a slightly longer duration. So instead of 3 minute sprints, rather 5 or 10 minutes. This way it is hoped that eventually clubs will race these cars on club nights, eventually growing into inter club, inter state and national endurance racing of longer formats.

Basically, the car rules are simple and to this end a complete rule set has been drawn up (again taking it's cue from the OEPS rules and is available from me). The main principals being that the cars must be replicas of 1:1 LMP and ALMS cars. Bodies made from 15thou clear plastic, such as PET, PETG, PVC or lexan. At the moment we have 7 such bodies available from Andrew Bartholomew up in Qld - with an 8th to be released soon. The liveries are quite generous but must represent a race car - again, all explained in the ruleset. The biggest difference from the usual model car rule is that the chassis is also "open" and provided it complies with the basics of model car chassis construction (bolted together - not soldered or glued - with vertical movement and suspension) one can buy a commercial version, build your own or modify and or mix different chassis parts to create your own winner. This concept is carried all the way through to even include being able to make your own wheel rims, should you want to. Again, all the specifications are in the rules.

However, as this very 'open' ruleset may be daunting for some we also decided to get the ball rolling by introducing the Red Roo Chassis, developed in conjunction with Garry J and Nick De Wachter and finally produced by Nick De Wachter in Europe. This is only one option but currently the best locally available alternative to suit our rules as the motor specified is the NSR 25King (Same as for Scale Auto Racing). Being a long can motor some of the available comercial chassis may not accommodate it properly:

IMGP2812.jpg

As a seperate post on this forum I will do a detailed build of this chassis , which is currently available from me and which should give everyone a good idea of where we are going with this.

Cheers,

JanR

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Wow, excellent! I have been a bit out of touch with slot cars these last few months so I didn't know about these. I am really pleased to see what Jan and Garry have created. I saw the race results from last weekend and, as expected, they were close. Real close.

Of all the slot cars I have raced through the decades, these LMP's are the best without question. No other slot car allows you to push to the limit and extend yourself like these do. They're amazing, wihout being idiotically fast. Racing them in Germany was undoubtedly one of the best (if not the best) slot-racing experience I have ever had. I am really excited to see that Jan has found an economical way of bringing them to Australia.

Finally, on the move to thick Lexan bodies, I think this is a great idea. It means that ham-fisted dorks like me can still make a half-decent car. Nice!

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

Thanks Jan for a great race day last weekend, and huge thanks for letting me be one of the lucky ones to flog your beautiful OEPS style cars around the track for a few hours. There was a sort of stunned silence when you first presented the cars, but best of all was the audible gasp of excitement from the crowd and Dean the first up driver to test and try for a fast lap time. I love the concept of this class. By limiting a few key components but still giving chassis freedom this makes a great class for Pro's that like to fabricate but also for Am's that can buy such a good chassis off the shelf for a very reasonable price.

I remember when Noel came back from the Trier race in Germany last year he was wildly excited after his drive of the OEPS cars. Having just driven one I truly hope we can make this one of our National classes here... Thanks Jan, it's got my support.

Kim Axton

Having only driven this type of chassis twice the last being at Jan's enduro I can say that I'm hooked on them. As Kim alluded to keeping a lid on key components should make this class a popular one as it wont be about throwing money at it to try and go fast or get it with in the weight limit..Eg. The chassis that Jan has available is purchased with all carbon fibre parts and there are no other parts for it to try and get it better or lighter. This should make it less daunting for people as there is no worry about having to purchase add ons.. Remember this is an open chassis class so the option is always there to run something else and mod it til your hearts content.. And yes a thanks to you Jan for letting us drive your babies for a few hours it was fantastic and I also hope we are able to get this class up and going at a national level....

Noel B

Now that looks good.

How long will it be before we are able to buy one or more ???????

Guys

Please come back with a time table for release....

Regards

Steve B) B) B) B)

Steve

ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE OR AFTER

IS JUST WAITING RACING IS LIFE STEVE MCQUEEN

Now that looks good.

How long will it be before we are able to buy one or more ???????

Guys

Please come back with a time table for release....

Regards

Steve B) B) B) B)

Hi Steve,

It is all available right now, you can get your mates together and start racing. I can send you the rules, just PM me and I'll forward to you. I will also be happy to send you pricing details and where you can buy it from. Soon I will do a detailed building post for the Red Roo chassis as was used during our launch enduro last weekend.

We are getting some real good response to this and it seem with a bit of patience to get drivers/teams/clubs set up, we can soon aim for some great interstate or even national events.

Currently the thoughts are around a 1/24th Scale Model Car Champs where we can have some sprint racing with the Scale Auto GT's using the 2012 MCN rules, then also run Mini Z Grp C' s with an open commercial chassis rule and finally a team endurance with a night section for the OAPR LMP's.

Cheers,

Jan

Would like to be involved with this class but unfortunatly there is very little interest in 1/24 here in Vic, well sth/east anyway atm and even 1/32 has dropped off...

Tuesday nights is our 1/24 th night and were lucky to get 4-5 attendees...sad really.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Would like to be involved with this class but unfortunatly there is very little interest in 1/24 here in Vic, well sth/east anyway atm and even 1/32 has dropped off...

Tuesday nights is our 1/24 th night and were lucky to get 4-5 attendees...sad really.

David

Keep in touch with Tim, he is getting one running and was hoping to get another few guys around to race them. Anyway, once we have some momentum going I'm sure there will be an opportunity to experience them down your way - I'll make sure you get an invite.

Cheers,

Jan

David

Keep in touch with Tim, he is getting one running and was hoping to get another few guys around to race them. Anyway, once we have some momentum going I'm sure there will be an opportunity to experience them down your way - I'll make sure you get an invite.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks Jan,

PM sent.

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Paul,

I think the key ingredient is the bodies. If bodies are available people will put them on whatever they have and run whatever motors they can. It will make it easier for raceway operators in particular to introduce a new class and inject some interest without forcing customers to purchase a whole new car before they can get started.

That said, what Jan has proposed is a good set of rules for interclub, interstate and national racing at the pinnacle of model car style racing. Looking around, there are enough good racers and builders willing to travel to major events to expect this to succeed.

The long can motor may be a necessity for longer races in a 160 gram car. The longer armature should mean more torque, cooler running and longer life for long races, or just more races.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

At first glance it seems like an open chassis class but , by specifying a long can motor as the set motor in this class you have excluded every commercially available suspension chassis except yours . Please correct me if I am wrong .

Paul,

No I have not, except those chassis's that were specifically designed with motor cutout's for the smaller 13D cans. All 1/24th chassis with no motor cutout in the base plate and those with 18D motor cutouts will be just fine. I remember winning a race series in 2006 using a long can motor in the Plafit 1300 chassis, then I also know that the Plafit SLP (not the J) was designed specifically for the 18D motors, in fact most COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE chassis's used in Europe over the past 15 years were designed for the big Carrera style Plafit Bison motors - being a long can 18D motor.

I suggest you broaden you research (before suggesting publicly that I am simply trying to 'tie' this in - which is exactly what I am trying to prevent). The Red Roo is simply based on the very latest trends currently being persued in Europe and comes from a stable of chassis designs that are all available commercially and will all accept the long can motor. It is probably true to say that chassis's designed for short can use only, are in the minority. Again, I stress, my Red Roo chassis is simply an alternative, not in any way a dictated option.

Cheers,

Jan

Paul in fact when we went to Europe last year we took with us two chassis's both made by NDW.. One was owned by Werner and the other one was Jan's, We actually used the version that was Werner's as it was a different model and we felt slightly faster.. Whilst over there I probably saw 10 to 15 different chassis for this class. most were reasonably conventional and a couple were really complicated.. Nick De Wachter's site shows several chassis and another site is Doslot.. I'm sure that Werner would know many more that would be available as well..Possibly even the SLP 2 Plafit chassis it is a lovely chassis how ever I am unsure whether it suits long or short can motors. Oh and not to mention what Gary J can or will build will be 2nd to none. Most importantly Paul this class is not a replacement of any thing existing it just an option or another format in which to race a SLOT CAR......

Noel B

Edited by Noel B

Paul,

I personally am very excited about this class.. If you're realy feeling the pinch financially go out and buy a $10 chunk of Brass, drill, cut, grind the shape you want, drill some holes and screw in some Plafit Axle blocks, for the "T" piece maybe even source a piece of carbon fibre (or use a Garry J - Plafit one) and you've got the satisfaction of building your own unique (cheap) chassis. Me, I'll buy one thanks, but I love the idea I could build one if I really wanted to.

Edited by axman

Thanks for the replies guys . Still not convinced of options .

My comment was with regard to " COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE OPTIONS " .

Agree to disagree

Paul,

Then we simply need to convince you. You can commercially buy the following options that will accept the NSR 25 King. Plafit SLP, SLP2 and the 1700 fitted with the long(est) plate, Schoeler, DoSlot, NDW, MoMo etc. I'm sure there are others................ Not all commercial chassis will extend to the wheelbase required by some of these cars, but you will be able to fit them under the shorter bodies, like the Lola and the Acura, with no problem. So if anything, the wheelbase could be your limiting factor, NOT the long can motor.

Cheers,

Jan

Paul,

Dont know why you are trying to define "Commercially Available options". You cant even buy a Plafit chassis here in Brisbane commercially, they are only available from a couple of private clubs and the internet. And, I know you have no problems buying Slotcars of the internet :-)

..... You cant even buy a Plafit chassis here in Brisbane commercially, they are only available from a couple of private clubs and the internet. And, I know you have no problems buying Slotcars of the internet :-)

.....This is incorrect. Red Racer Hobbies has been a Plafit retailer for six years.

O.k., they are not located in Brisbane but Redcliffe is close enough........

Cheers

Werner

While on the topic of motors, would the larger events ie State/National level provide handout motors?

- Cam

Cam,

The question of handout motors is always the prerogative of event organizers, but that decision also implies that entrants must be willing to pay for such handouts. That generally increases the entry fees - which is usually not popular. In overseas events where motors and tyres are handed out, the individual class entry fees can be as high as €50 per entrant.

In the end organizers have to weigh up the possibility of motor cheates and the impact of their actions, against the possibilities of handing out a dud motor to someone. Should handout motors be the go, then organizers also have to dyno all the motors and exclude the top 10 and bottom 10 % - this again add to the costs as the "unusable" motors have to be paid for as well.

Cheers,

Jan

OK , enough fun and games . Lets not let my curiosity bring down the experience . I would like to end my contribution here and get back to the subject of this new class of racing which has generated so much excitment .

Paul,

Fantastic, a good driver like you, owe yourself one of these machines. How can we get you driving one?

Cheers,

Jan

For people travelling interstate I don't think it's a big issue paying for a motor they will then keep considering the overall cost of the race meet. As for dud motors, they would/should be pretty rare and if the entrants were charged list price for a motor and the organisers had 1 or 2 unusables it is still not going to cost them any money given the mark up on their cost price (If it did, I'd be making a claim back to the maufacturers because their motors are crap). You don't need to dyno the motors, a simple laser RPM checker will give a pretty good indication of a batch motor performance and takes very little time.

IMO, if you're paying over 50 euro for a motor and tyres in Europe, you're being ripped off.

At least this gives some peace of mind that the guy buying 20+ motors and picking the best one, can crimping, arm twisting, etc etc is eliminated and you can guarantee a level playing field.

- Cam

PS. At a race meet I went to recently a guy was running a Mini Z with what was obviously a Fox 2 labelled Chetah motor (everyone at the club knew it, even the driver). Take that motor to a national event, throw some really low gearing at it so the top end speed isn't too obvious and put the race win to an awesome handing car and a brilliant driver. Pretty hard to argue.

Edited by Camber
  • Upvote 1

Hoo Roo

Cam, the whole handout motor thing could go on forever and if you feel so strongly about it you should start a "hand out motor" topic by itself. This section is for OAPR chassis /car concept.

To push for handout motors is going to open up a can of worms. Where do you stop.. You would have to include all the Plafit classes, Retro, ScaleAuto, Flexi's etc etc. It would become a logistic nightmare for race organisers and no bench test can tell you for sure if its a good or bad motor until you get it onto the track. As for your "peace of mind" when our team went to Trier last year Noel was handed out two total dud "tested" motors for the scale auto class. His lap times dropped at least two 10th's of a second compared to his practise motor and the other team cars. As I said, this is a topic by itself.