Any thoughts on classes? It would be great to put V8s back on the roster.

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

Any thoughts on classes? It would be great to put V8s back on the roster.

Ohh yeh.......My Falcon needs a run :)

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

Ok Ladies. My place this week.

Aussie V8s

Scaley F1s

Spirit pugs

Same time. Same slot channel.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

See y'all there.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Most Excellent :ph34r:

JK

Following on craig's thought, to copy my Group 5 post in cars section over here, for those that don't follow forum so closely.

I'll bring these to club Thursday so people can have a deco. at what more of the saloons on steroids look like.

Group 5

As I failed to even wait "IM"-patiently for the Racer releases to start rumbling our way, I decided to add to the trifecta of Racing Capris I own.

group5-1.jpg

group5-2.jpg

I started with the Revell BMW 320i, which is still front motored, and with original mechanics, but sitting on Slot.it F22 F1 size tyres which are 13mm wide, heavily ground down to a suitable O.D. Everything is glued and trued, and the motor has been swapped for a Slot.it yellow bell, and geared down somewhat.

Having since done two more cars, I think I'll revisit this one and lower it another 1mm It looks too high against everything else.

Then I moved to a Fly Porsche 935, which proved a challenge. The motor in those sits BEHIND the rear axle, so I had to do away with that, the wheels were at about a 45 degree angle to the axle - well, not quite, but very bad. In the end, I glued in a Slot.it inline pod, with a 1/8th brass rod either side of it, running from the front to rear axles, to stiffen the stupidly flexible chassis. and used a Ninco NC-5 motor which is about the same grunt as the Fly FK180 motors in the Fly Racing Capri. It is sitting on Slot.it 17 x 10 magnesium wheels, the tyres are Slot.it N22 from memory. I don't have a suitable wheel insert yet, so any ideas very welcome.

Lastly I tackled a Fly BMW 635 CSL, which is also front motored. I have again swapped the motor for a Slot.it yellow bell. Like the 320, I managed to keep the whole drive train. When I get some brass tube to shim them, the stub front axles need their pins collared to remove the slop. The rest of the bushes got the superglue collar trick, and I fitted NSR 21 x 14mm Vanquish MG tyres to the original ubs, which were "fairly" straight - given that it is a FLY. They were a decent fit but needed about 1mm off the O.D., and the outside edges well rounded. Then they fitted well under the body.

I sectioned the interior glass, forced the roll cage to slew back about 3mm so it sits in the top of the roof where the clear "glass" was removed. I also dremeled the underside of the cockpit fairly brutally, and heated the front tab and melted it so it sat flatter against the underside of the bonnet. This allowed me to move the front of it upwards 1.5mm into the body, which then allowed me to shorten the body posts 1mm to lower the bodyand still clear the chassis with the cockpit.

The most radical change was slicing the sides of the chassis, and gluing them to the underside of the body, as the centre part of the chassis was "clam-shell" style which is not ideal for wood running. I first attached them by melting the attaching tabs with the soldering iron, then laid a layer of JB weld against the insides, and a layer of thin wire mesh against it and forced it hard, so JB weld spewed through the mesh, then smoothed it all off. They'll never split in a shunt now.

The chassis can now float free of the body. Once the drive train had had the slop taken out of the driveshaft bush and axles bushes, the "grating" of badly meshing Fly gears pretty much disappeared.

It is running pretty smooth, but getting the fronts more stable will help eventual cornering speeds.

They've been trued down, the exhaust pipes moved so they clear the body - by a fraction, and the track, but not much either. Overall ride height is at least 1mm lower than stock. It looks the absolute business running at low elevation angle.

GR. 5 are some of the most brutal "bad attitude" race cars you'll ever see on a track.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

Better find the 635 Mark. :unsure:

They look and sound great :lol:

JK

I keep doing that - calling it a 635 CSL, when it's just a 3.5 CSL the 635 3.5 was the CSi

What bodyshell WAS the 3.5 CSL based on, (before it got the crazy flares) - the front end still looks the same to me.... you know me, seen one BMW seen them all, and still missing my E39, so I feel traumatised looking at them all.

Mac, you need on of those "honey I shrunk the kids" machines.

The one I picked up to modify is the Gitanes #42 car on this page. - a few pics of the car which switch sequentially.

http://www.racingspo...1976-06-13.html

The photos I put up don't do it justice, with the section and chop the respose is about right, under 1mm to the track; it looks superb.

The CSL was based on the E9

If there is enough interest in a group 5 class, we should propose some guidelines. First off, Group 5 can relate to 4 distinct generations. Most of the cars we think of as Group 5 are the 4th Gen.

Heres a full list

If we were to allow other generations we would include such cars as the 917k, Ferrari 312, Porsche 911, Mini and Ford GT40 etc.

We also need to discuss what modifications would be allowed.

5 x National Champion

Hi Craig

good research. Yes, I think what we think of is simply the 4th Gen. - Based around road going saloons with the severe body mods.

All the Racer ones will be 4th Gen.

Racer alone is easy, we could just allow blueprinting - unless we find that need something else once we start using them.

but to make the other Fly and Revell ones get anywhere near close to them for lap times, they would need allowance for much more modification - more work, but personally, I'd vote that direction for club use (as opposed to nationals), because I think it would provide

a) those with lesser build skills the ability to slap a Racer unit on track and compete

B) those with build skills and patience - and more money probably, - the opportunity to put a wider range of really interesting cars on track.

and a wider build range also makes racing more interesting.

We could actually be very "loose" on the rules for other brand units, as they are ghenerally going to be a much lesser car, but perhaps develop them using the speed of a stock, blueprinted Racer unit as a max speed/lap times guide.

The Fly Capri is probably the fastest "other", so it will be interesting to see how far off the speed they are with the current rules.

Given the low power motor, they will be slower in a straight line, but with the huge tyres we run, they will probably corner faster.

I'll bring all the ones I've modded so far, and people can just have a look and a drive just so we can kick around ideas in coming weeks. At the mo, my Fly Capri is still faster than any of my developments at home, but on Mac's bigger track, the two BMWs may be close in lap times as they have more straight line speed, and fairly wide tyres.

The Racer ones are supposed to fly today or tomorrow.

Couldn't find the 3.5 CSL in Group 5 on that Wiki article Craig, so I started digging. Wiki article lists gthe 3.0 CSL but

other racing sources say stuff like:

The 3.5 CSL is a pure Group 5 car

The 3.0 CSL didn't fit in that category.

Whether at Le Mans or in the WCM/WSC it was classified in the Gr.5 or Gr.5+3.0 class

In the DRM or DARM the classes had different names (Div. I and Div. II).

In the Camel GT Challenge it was in the GTO class (1981 GTX), just like the Porsche 935 and its other opponents. The IMSA series had them in the GTO and GTU categories.

Basically this car had no other class than Group 5, since all the named classes above are not any or just slightly different.

Likewise Racer are making the Mustang GTP which Wiki don't list, and it is really a later car.

"This car was designed by Bob Riley with a 4 Cylínder Turbo engine by Zakspeed (Used in the Group 5 Capris). It raced as far as I can tell in the IMSA GTP Series in 1983 and 1984, but wasn't very successful. After winning on debut, it proved to be very fast but very fragile."

Here's the RSC entry for it. http://www.racingspo...tang%20GTP.html

So the Mustang isn't actually a Group 5. purely a GTP car from the early '80s. I would suspect Racer have added it to give flavour for the american market.

- I'll make further enquiries.

Whereas the BMW 3.5CSL IS group 5, but that and the 3.0CSL are virtually indistinguishable - and Chris Amon raced them, so we would surely want to include both the 3. and 3.5 beasts in any broad brand Gr.5 class.

Article on the Amon/Stuck 3.0 CSL http://g-force.co.nz...kiwi-connection

I wonder if the old recluse would consider being our club patron. he's only 2 hours drive from here, just outside Kinloch...... :)

Edited by SlotsNZ

The Vanquish tyres are no longer the advantage they once were, and I expect the Fly Capri with stock motor won't be competitive in anyone but the best drivers hands.

5 x National Champion

Yes the 3.5CSL was an IMSA GTO. If we allow that I think the other IMSA cars should be allowed, Mustang, Monza etc. I'd love to race an IMSA Nissan 300zx but perhaps its a bit too modern to be considered (1990-1995). Oh and I dont think its been produced as 1/32 :wacko:

Edited by nvmyre

5 x National Champion

I gather the 3.5 CSL was both/all. From 1976 there were a lot of 3 and 3.2 litre cars were converted when the 4th Gen rules came out, and raced as Group 5 through to about 1979.

We're still talking 1970s here, not even into the 1980s when the GTP Mustang was made and raced.

http://www.supercars.../cars/3820.html

I suspect he original Wiki article is an incomplete listing for Gen 4 Group 5

Actually the IMSA slot racing website has some info. on Group 5. somewhere.

Here's the actual car of the model I have of Le Mans 1976 http://www.conceptca...BMW-35-CSL.aspx

First campaigned in USA in IMSA then in Group 4, then taken back to Germany and rebuilt for the 4th Gen. Group 5 in 1976

The RSC site has a pretty decent listing of races and classes the 3.5 competed in.

http://www.racingspo.../3.5%20CSL.html

I imagine if we dig into the archives we'll find quite a few other more obscure cars that were converted to meet Group 5 rules then campaigned in Europe, but the CSL 3.5 was pretty common, I guess because apart from the BMW works teams both sides of the Atlantic, there were independent/privateer 3.0s a-plenty that could be re-built for Group 5.

One guy that might be quite familiar with the history is Christiaan (Pitlane3) He grew up watching the Interserie and Group 2, 4, 5 cars etc.

- Bound to have interesting tidbits.

For sure there is a lot of contradictory information on the webs. I think people will quickly get the idea of what this class is about. I'll probably have a few spare Group 5s for club members to use if they choose not to invest.

5 x National Champion

Thanks for the pizza and thanks for hosting tonight Mac :D

Are we off to Viv's next????

JK

Thanks for the evening Mac.

I apologise for my rather abrupt departure...something to do with fatigue and general weariness or was it having a car hit the floor?

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Nagged? Chored out? Sick of mindless suburban small talk?

Thunder Road is open this Saturday from 1pm. No chicks. No BS. Let's race some cars.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Thunder Road is open this Saturday from 1pm. No chicks. No BS. Let's race some cars.

Mac

Well alright!

I'll see you there :lol:

JK

Just saw the Sideways Capri Zakspeed Group 5 at the portal :ph34r:

Bring on Group 5 :D

Edited by j2theK

JK

Mac

Ahhh damn missed this message. Was without a computer yesterday and today.

5 x National Champion

Mac

Ahhh damn missed this message. Was without a computer yesterday and today.

Well that explains it! :huh:

JK

Hi Mac

Do you have a Monograml Plymouth Nascar sitting around? I'm considering buying into these cars if we are going to include them our race nights.

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.

And sorry for missing this arvo. Would have loved to come out but was putting in a wall oven.

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.