I will be very sad to see GT1 go. Like Mac I like the faster cars and I like the tuning too. 
But I guess democracy has spoken. 

5 hours ago, Bingo said:

I will be very sad to see GT1 go. Like Mac I like the faster cars and I like the tuning too. 
But I guess democracy has spoken. 

I don’t think much is decided yet. The poll is just our start point, to get some collective vibe on classes we like and those less popular.

About the only thing we can be sure of, is that nearly everyone favours dropping the Scalex V8 Supercars more than anything else.
I thought apart from Mac’s brief mention, that most everyone in club favours making the Pioneer Legends a regular class - likely replacing them, and probably allowing replacement of the stock plastic wheels with alloy ones
(The drafts of both stock and upgraded rules sets options are on the rules page) - Personally I favour allowing the alloy wheels, it makes them easier to tune, and allow better rubber, and long term, should provide best reliability.

But here are a few questions for all to ponder
- Do we stay at 15 classes, (which I think is already a lot), or try to reduce to 12, or increase to accommodate new classes?
- Can we amalgamate any classes, eg existing GT1 with LMP,  for which the real cars ran against each other at Le Mans, and which have on our current rules, compatibility?

- Do we want 2 extra classes of 65-80 sports models, by adding both Thunderslot and NSR sports cars to our existing 65-80 Sports class and slower Fly Classics, or replacing either of those two existing classes with the NSR and Thunderslot ones?
- Or could we alternatively run all except the Fly Classics together, allowing the relative rules sets from Tony as well as our existing simple rules set for 65-80 Sports? ( Me thinks that is a potentially very helpful combo)

- Our tracks are a lot smaller and more technical than Nelson and Pitlane, combined with narrower lane spacing, and that means more frenetic racing with faster, higher powered cars. That causes me to lean towards the current environment where we race a slower, a mid-pace and a faster class each week.
- We also have a decent mix of basic Scalex and better quality cars, and a mix of “glue and true” eg BTCC or Slot.it Group C, alongside more challenging builds like Scalextric muscle car. 
overall I think a mix of types of class building is good.

I am not keen personally for the NSR F1, given their likely fragility, and Tony’s comment to Mac at some point, that he loves selling them, as it provides a lot of ongoing parts sales from the damage. 
And as a footnote - We used to have a pile of complicated rules for various classes, which Mac condensed into the very simple and clear rules we have today, and which have served us extremely well for years now. 

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I think it's in everyone's interests to move this discussion into action. No one, except those who have already been to the Nats, have shown any interest in bringing in the National classes, so maybe we park that idea for now.

See a suggested new roster below.

• NASCAR, BTCC and V8s have been gassed.
  • LMP and GT1 are merged. 
  • Thunderslot / NSR Classics fit into 65-80 - as they do now. 
  • Legends introduced. 

This seems to reflect the poll and gets us down to 12 classes.

Week 1

1 Legends

2 Muscle Cars

3 1965 to 1980 sports

Week 2

1 Pre 65 Classics

2 Slot It Group C

3 GT1 / LMP

Week 3

1 Fly Classics

2 DTM [Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft 1984 - 1996]

3 Group 5

Week 4

1 Australian Touring Cars

2 Scalextric F1

3 GT3

What does everyone think about that?

I will happily buy back any cars I have sold to group members, if anyone wants to cash in now-redundant cars. Just sing out.

The only issue (apart for running Nats classes) is how to satisfy the desire to run NSR F1s. I love them but, like Mark, I wonder if they are a good choice for the club roster - especially on the smaller or more technical tracks. Maybe we adopt Smithy's idea and run a few standalone events with them? Because these models are so damage prone, I doubt any of the current NSR F1 owners will want to put their own cars into a teams race event. So, perhaps we buy 5 (4 to race and one for a spare) and hand them out to our best tuners. I'll get a deal from Tony so, based on 16 racers, that would require a race fee of $40 per person. The cars then stay in group ownership and we tidy any issues with them before we race them again. 

Lastly, I think we have to revisit the Muscle Car rules. This is meant to be a stock chassis class, but I think a few guys are racing printed /podded chassis's now. I know a few of us have Thunderslot Mustangs coming, so we need to decide if we allow them to be raced. I am always keen to run the best available cars, so my vote would be yes. All we would need to do is to change the rules to allow printed / podded chassis's.   

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 1

Podiums are for short people.

You guys clearly have more thinking capacity than me.

I have 3 NSR F1’s roughly home painted and set up, they could probably use some tweaking (Mac?), that I can throw into the pot for a teams race/test of concept. 

I will be avoiding people from early August before I re-enter the world of overseas travel, returning in Early September. If someone will do the setup/tidy up, my track could be used while I am away, thinking we have a sudden shortage of operating tracks. Any thoughts?

ps, I have yet to damage a F1, just luck I guess.

Edited by Pedro51

All sounds to me and I’m in for NSR F1. Ryan and I have one each. 

Yes to Muscle car changes and allow TS Mustang

Yes to NSR F1 suggestion

Yes to new roster and amalgamations etc

On with the show

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

It’s a big thumbs up from me. I suggest we rename the GT1 / LMP to “Modern Le Mans” to reflect the cars being run.

- Leighton, I’ll buy that BTCC back off you. I think that’s the only definite casualty from what you got from me?
Though you may want to skip the Scalextric Falcon, and wait for a Thunderslot Mustang, which will be a much superior runnner.

Mac, Is there a link somewhere online to Tony’s rules for the NSR and Thunderslot classics.
How far away ARE our existing 65-80 rules from either of Tony’s rules sets? - Still wondering if some kind of a soft landing could be created by having the option of running those cars and rules alongside the existing 65-80 sports cars and existing rules. It might be the easy route going ahead ? 
ie, invasion by stealth, encouraging people to buy and set up accordingly if they wish (and if they want to be at the pointy end) It would also ensure that a new driver like Leighton or Phillip, who hasn’t purchased for that class yet, buys a good car with a “future”, and gets pointers on how to set it up.

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Before we jump to too many conclusions, let’s wait and see what everyone else thinks. 

Im all good with this.

I will be retaining the V8 Mac. Who knows we may race them later on some time. I think Mac if you help tune the ones that need tuning then V8's would be great now and then. 

I dont think the LMPs will compete with GT1's to be honest. 65-80 sport would. They have comparable times as JK runs his as a GT1 and performs very well. This would allow GT1 class to be wide open for choice. OR Merge GT1 with  GT2 and GT3 cars. And have GT1 rules???? Yeah baby ;)  

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.

I am in favor of the gt1/lmp merge. My cars for this class have virtually identical lap times, and until the NSR F1 turned up, my LMP had our track record. Would love to race it against a mosler 

For me it would make my LMP obsolete. Why not include all the GT classes together. It would expand the field considerably. One thing Im a great believer in is field mix. Some of our classes have similar cars because its the go to car. Ferrari 250 in pre 65 for example. Im all for greater mix of cars. Just putting thoughts out there guys. In the end what decisions are made will be all good. Another way of doing this is actually trial runs of the different groupings. See how they all go. 

Edited by Smithy
adding

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.

I'm OK with this proposal.  Seems logical and we can always review at a later stage.   

I'm also OK with allowing Thunderslot Mustangs into Muscle class. It is a very open class and we already have this in the rules re chassis "Chassis: Essentially stock when viewed from underneath. HRS chassis and donor chassis allowed"  which is pretty open.

Be good to see what the National rules are but as mentioned, maybe look at those rules & classes down the line...

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Hi Hawkes Bay slotties.

Very interested in your class deliberations but remember I come from 2016 NZSCA rules. We have kept pretty close to these but have also developed some of our own. Our Aussie V8 class and our still developing F1 class in particular. I am also keen on BMW Minis but some members dislike. We do try to be democratic. At a recent race night at Ian's however I raced one of my Minis against all-comers. I was never going to win but I had fun trying and I was not last after the three heats were tallied.

We have generally had up to 8 classes but more recently only 6. We are getting into F1 again however and I am hoping to introduce some others - Canam perhaps. Like you though we have to be considerate to new comers so do not want too many. Do not want to get into a Christchurch situation where I believe they now have about 25 classes up from 22.

Apart from 2016 like you guys have said it is also good to keep a range of car types. I would hate RTR to get into the metal car scenario where apart from F1 and Saloon the cars are all so similar apart from Open Eurosport.

One advantage of only having 6-8 classes and a smaller group is we can run most classes at every meeting. I note you run only 3 classes at each meeting. With a couple of more classes under consideration we are looking at having standard classes (run at each meeting) and 2-3 variable classes if time permits. Standard classes would probably be Aussie V8, Slot-it Group C Muscle car or Group 5 saloons and Open GT. Variable classes Standard Scaly GT, Muscle car or Group 5 saloons and F1. We also have plenty of spare cars and controllers and make these available for newer members or for breakdowns.

In an effort to get newer members up to speed like you have said we also do what we can to tune up newer members cars where they are struggling or show them how to do the same. I recently helped one member to straighten a Slot-it Group C chassis. He had bought from another member but it performed very poorly until I noticed it was running on 3 wheels. I have never seen one so twisted. Rather than fixing myself I lent person the apparatus and showed him what to do. It now goes great.

Re Aussie V8's this is one of our most popular classes. I think I have told you what modifications we allow before. One of the reasons it is popular is the cars are all very close. Let me know if you want me to repeat rules. Another class I am trying to revitalise is F1. Previously we raced as modified Group C with an old Slot-it chassis cut down to fit a clear plastic body. They are very light (mine is 53gms) and go better than GC. With NSR and Policar generic cars coming (the great looking Scale Policar GP's I agree are too fragile to race) we are now developing a combined F1 class with rules to equalise different cars. NSR Generic stock standard (we find them fairly robust), Policar Generic standard but any tyres (we glue on front wing,  Slot-it GC as aforementioned, Scaly/SCX/NInco with any motor or tyres. They may not all be the same but we have some sort of basis for developing an interesting class. Time will tell. It also means not everybody has to buy one of the fairly expensive NSR F1's - sorry Tony.

Hope this is of some help. I will not comment on your class choices but agree some are close to duplications. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Regards Charles Le Breton

Taranaki Slot Car Racing Club.

PS. If new Thunderslot Mustang is anything like other Thunderslot cars it may not be very compatible with other Muscle car.

Edited by charlesx

37 minutes ago, charlesx said:

Hi Hawkes Bay slotties.

Very interested in your class deliberations but remember I come from 2016 NZSCA rules. We have kept pretty close to these but have also developed some of our own. Our Aussie V8 class and our still developing F1 class in particular. I am also keen on BMW Minis but some members dislike. We do try to be democratic. At a recent race night at Ian's however I raced one of my Minis against all-comers. I was never going to win but I had fun trying and I was not last after the three heats were tallied.

We have generally had up to 8 classes but more recently only 6. We are getting into F1 again however and I am hoping to introduce some others - Canam perhaps. Like you though we have to be considerate to new comers so do not want too many. Do not want to get into a Christchurch situation where I believe they now have about 25 classes up from 22.

Apart from 2016 like you guys have said it is also good to keep a range of car types. I would hate RTR to get into the metal car scenario where apart from F1 and Saloon the cars are all so similar apart from Open Eurosport.

One advantage of only having 6-8 classes and a smaller group is we can run most classes at every meeting. I note you run only 3 classes at each meeting. With a couple of more classes under consideration we are looking at having standard classes (run at each meeting) and 2-3 variable classes if time permits. Standard classes would probably be Aussie V8, Slot-it Group C Muscle car or Group 5 saloons and Open GT. Variable classes Standard Scaly GT, Muscle car or Group 5 saloons and F1. We also have plenty of spare cars and controllers and make these available for newer members or for breakdowns.

In an effort to get newer members up to speed like you have said we also do what we can to tune up newer members cars where they are struggling or show them how to do the same. I recently helped one member to straighten a Slot-it Group C chassis. He had bought from another member but it performed very poorly until I noticed it was running on 3 wheels. I have never seen one so twisted. Rather than fixing myself I lent person the apparatus and showed him what to do. It now goes great.

Re Aussie V8's this is one of our most popular classes. I think I have told you what modifications we allow before. One of the reasons it is popular is the cars are all very close. Let me know if you want me to repeat rules. Another class I am trying to revitalise is F1. Previously we raced as modified Group C with an old Slot-it chassis cut down to fit a clear plastic body. They are very light (mine is 53gms) and go better than GC. With NSR and Policar generic cars coming (the great looking Scale Policar GP's I agree are too fragile to race) we are now developing a combined F1 class with rules to equalise different cars. NSR Generic stock standard (we find them fairly robust), Policar Generic standard but any tyres (we glue on front wing,  Slot-it GC as aforementioned, Scaly/SCX/NInco with any motor or tyres. They may not all be the same but we have some sort of basis for developing an interesting class. Time will tell. It also means not everybody has to buy one of the fairly expensive NSR F1's - sorry Tony.

Hope this is of some help. I will not comment on your class choices but agree some are close to duplications. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Taranaki Slot Car Racing Club.

PS. If new Thunderslot Mustang is anything like other Thunderslot cars it may not be very compatible with other Muscle car.

To reply to Charles RE NSR F1, why not got to the Scaleauto F1, the white body cars are only $99.90. they are the same speed as NSR so make s sense to me.

The scaleauto cars are nowhere as good as the nsr f1 

The older i get, the faster i was.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, Pedro51 said:

You guys clearly have more thinking capacity than me.

I have 3 NSR F1’s roughly home painted and set up, they could probably use some tweaking (Mac?), that I can throw into the pot for a teams race/test of concept. 

I will be avoiding people from early August before I re-enter the world of overseas travel, returning in Early September. If someone will do the setup/tidy up, my track could be used while I am away, thinking we have a sudden shortage of operating tracks. Any thoughts?

ps, I have yet to damage a F1, just luck I guess.

I can give those F1s a baseline tune-up. Stock az is the way to go. 

FYI the nsr f1s are fairly robust..unless u drive like vestappenn. No wheels banging 

Edited by pieguy
Addition

I can help Bone tune those NSR F1s. I have done a few and have Dave West’s excellent set up procedure down pat now. Thanks to Pedro and the Bings for offering them for the boys to run. 

Hi Trophy.

I have not seen the Scaleauto F1 but it is welcome to our competition. Obviously I cannot comment on how it goes. Would be interesting to see a review but Pieguy appears to have a fair idea. I found with Policar the addition of better tyres closed the gap considerably.

Hobbies Plus also have I think the Nonno brand but I have no first hand info' on them either. Not sure whether they are all plastic - a pre-requisite for RTR.

More input on other F1 candidates welcome but I am mainly interested in what we have already.

Great to get the input.

Thanks to Pedro and the Bings for offering them for the boys to run”

Correction, was just highlighting we had two so we are in for any racing. Not so sure about lending them out……one is In enough danger with me driving it lol. 
I would be open to chipping in to a couple of “club cars”

Regarding running nsr f1 we run them at 10.5 volts.this keeps them more manageable  and easier to drive IMHO. I think you are running too much voltage on some of the smaller tighter tracks and if you dial it down to 10.5 the racing would be much closer and the lap time almost the same because the cars are not sliding around as much or coming out of the slot. Don't be afraid of nsr f1 because of damage, after a few rounds of carnage you'll figure it out to keep it in the slot and drive better. Slotcars are evolving and you can too. I repeat 10.5 volts try it you might like it

As we have a few F1’s in the group already maybe my 3 could be set up and used as loaner cars for members to use. They are more or Nelson specs, although 1may have an illegal hard chassis.

I like 'Bones 10.5v suggestion. 

Not sure where we are racing this week but let's try and get consensus of the best way forward when we get together. If we can agree the roster amendments, we can kick off the new format next week.